JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atlanta Jazz Festival 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlanta Jazz Festival 2012
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:27am
Probably too late for those of you who aren't in the area.

For those who don't know it is a three day two stage free outdoor festival.  This is it's 35th year.

Here's the list of performers.

Dwight Andrews
Cyrus Chestnut Trio
Kathleen Bertrand
Roy Ayers
Mushy Widmaier Quartet
Gegoire Maret Quartet
Lionel Loueke Trio
Tito Puente, Jr & Orchestra
Yolanda Rabum
Russell Gunn & Elektrik Butterfly
Grace Kelly Quintet
Robert Glasper Experiment
Tropical Breeze
Andre Rievers
EC3 Coleman
Edy Martinez & His Jazz Orchestra
Mace Hibbard Quartet
The Laura Coyle Quintet
Son Jazzy Orchestra
Nadav Remez/Omer Avital Quinteta
Also, one youth jazz band competition winner each day.

There's only one artist I know by name and that's the only guy who has an entry on this site so I shouldn't feel too bad. LOL
Time to go look them up.

The 2012 Atlanta Jazz Festival logo · Home · Our History · All About the Atlanta Jazz Festival · 2012 Official Artwork · Corey Barksdale – BIO · Office of Cultural ...

Edited by Slartibartfast - 24 May 2012 at 8:56am
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:36am
Feb 27, 2008 ... Dwight Andrews, composer, musician, educator, and minister, joined the Emory College faculty in 1987. A native of Detroit, Dr. Andrews is an ...
Welcome to the official web home of Cyrus Chestnut. New CD Available from the Cyrus Chestnut Trio 'Journeys' "I like to construct melodies that tell stories, ...
With a 3 octave range, vocalist/songwriter Kathleen Jackson Bertrand is one of the South's most sought-after vocalists and is the consummate professional, ...
New Live DVD Available Online Now | See concerts from all over the globe. "RoyAyers is the KING of neo-soul music!" - Grammy Award. Biography Tour Dates ...
Mushy Widmaier is a modern jazz piano player, but one with a certain undertone of both Haitian folklore and European art music - but all of it as.
Gregoire Maret, musicien, compositeur. ... Grégoire Maret was born in 1975 in Geneva, Switzerland and began playing the Harmonica at age 17. His childhood ...
Lionel Loueke Trio @ Douglas Beach House, Half Moon Bay, California. May 22, 2011. Knowing only that guitarist Lionel Loueke had an international reputation ...
May 22, 2009, Denver, CO @ Denver Center for the Performing Arts Colorado Symphony Orchestra Showcase - An Evening with Tito Puente, Jr. May 30, 2009 ...
Yolanda Williams Rabun, given many talents, sings, dances, acts, directs, choreographs, .... After Hours Jazz Series Featuring Yolanda Rabun - April 27, 2012 ...
official site of russell gunn. Home · Bio · Discography · Touring · Contact · Images · Video · EPK. return of guun fu from the album Ethnomusicology Vol. 6 Return ...
Jan 25, 2012 ... I've switched up the instrumentation of the Grace Kelly quintet and we've been doing gigs with an incredible guitarist, Pete McCann who is so ...
Robert Glasper Experiment · News · Media · Tour · Bio · Contact · Shop. “Robert Glasper proves why he's a multitalent to be reckoned with on his brilliant fourth ...
The Tropical Breeze Band plays Caribbean style music, The kind you would hear if you where to take a trip to the Caribbean islands, such as Trinidad, Jamaica, ...
André Rievers was born in Brasilia and raised in São Paulo, Brazil As the lead singer for Rua 6, Andre has performed continuously for 10 years, recording 3 ...
Drummer Ernest EC3 Coleman's official website with news, tourdates, videos, and more.
Saturday, May 26 |7p | Atlanta's International Jazz Stage The great Edy Martinez, is not only a superb Jazz and Latin Jazz artist, he is also a.
In 2008, the Mace Hibbard Quintet was selected to play at the Atlanta Jazz Festival as the winner of the Future of Jazz Competition. In 2009, Mace was asked to ...
Sunday, May 27 |3:30p | Atlanta's International Jazz Stage Laura Coyle, raised in Atlanta, GA, sings with an intimate knowledge and love for the music.
Sunday, May 27 |5p | Atlanta's International Jazz Stage I was born in Guayama, Puerto Rico, on the Caribbean side of the Island. I come from a family.
Nadav Remez/Omer Avital Quintet at the Atlanta Jazz Festival. New project launch: A collaborative project between top bassist Omer Avital and Nadav Remez ...

The official festival links are a bit buggy.  I've linked to the artists web sites mostly.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 24 May 2012 at 9:14am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:22am
Lucky you,  ..Memphis doesn't have a jazz festival.
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:10pm
I think we have a plan.  My wife was interested in Ayers and Puente as I am.  Nadav Remez is on Sunday before Tito and I think well be back out on Monday and catch Russell Gunn and Grace Kelly Quintet.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:45pm
It looks good. I predict that Roy Ayers plays "Everybody Loves The Sunshine".
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 1:19pm
Yeah, I haven't been to one since my wife and I were dating back in '99.  I think I was at the first one back in '78.  Most certainly for '79 or '80.

http://atlantafestivals.com/our-history/

It's funny, I know Roy by name but am not familiar with the music, and that was the first thing I ran into online. 

I think one of the main reasons I haven't been for so long is unfamiliarity with the artists.  No excuse for that with the internet.  Glad I took the time to look the performers up.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 25 May 2012 at 1:24pm
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 3:03pm
Sounds cool
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 5:51am
I was reading the history and found it funny that they decided to stop calling it Free as they didn't want it to be confused with just being about the style.

Well, for those of you who would be there if you were here I'll report back.  
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:54pm
Hate to say it but my attendance ambitions were checked by a late season flu.  I did get to see and would have gone to the stage after the show to meet him and buy a copy of his CD but for the flu.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic