JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Icons series 5 DVDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz Icons series 5 DVDs
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:22am
Any thoughts on the Jazz Icons Series 5 DVD SET of 6 DVDs?

My main question is, Has anyone heard of when or if they will offer these individually?, $99 seems a bit high for the 6 DVDs, I really only have interest in the Coltrane and Hubbard one, no interest in the Monk solo piano one at all. It's only being offered through the Mosaic site I believe.

Also, if anyone has the set, I would love to hear your thoughts on the Coltrane DVD, Ascension and A love Supreme live, how is the sound and video quality?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 1:14pm
Johnny Griffin and Art Blakey look pretty good too. They say in the Mosaic catalogue they are not available singulary but they do say that it is only currently. Six months before that happens at a guess.  I pre-ordered the Coleman Hawkins but still not released yet. While I am waiting, have the Lionel Hampton 1937 to 41 coming.Cool ding bong dong (that's his vibes) Big smile
Matt
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Johnny Griffin and Art Blakey look pretty good too. They say in the Mosaic catalogue they are not available singulary but they do say that it is only currently. Six months before that happens at a guess.  I pre-ordered the Coleman Hawkins but still not released yet. While I am waiting, have the Lionel Hampton 1937 to 41 coming.Cool ding bong dong (that's his vibes) Big smile
I know that series 5 was delayed for a long time before release, because of economic reasons, according to the Jazz Icons web site, I have read articles with Cuscuna saying, the market is so dry right now, that Blue Note has no reissue series plans at all on CD anyway, And his Mosaic has really slowed down the releases in recent years, I would think the 3CD select series would still have a wide market, 49 bucks is more than reasonable. Only a few of those did I not buy,  I suppose after a certain amount of time you can run out of material to release.

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 1:54pm
They pretty much have released all the Blue Note stuff over the years. They are good value those 3 cd sets. I only started buying through them about two years back. Early days the exchange rate was not good. About $1 Aus to 70 and then down to 47 cents in the US dollar Shocked Things are good now since China's been buying whatever we can scoop out of the ground $ 1.07 Aus to $1 US Thumbs Up I will add if the currency was not at this height, good chance they would have bought or tried too, half our mining companies Ermm 
Matt
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 7:34am
I take you mean these

You can buy them as single DVDs.... Now those box sets don't inerest me much because there is always three or four from the lot that I find uninteresting...However the bonus DVDs always seem to feature  something that intrigues me.... Unfortunately, I don't think these bonus DVD can be sold outside the box sets...

I have two or three of them (Mingus, Brubeck, Coltrane, etc...), planning to buy one or two more (the first Rashaan, most notably)

But indeed in that latest series, I'd be interested in the second Trane and the second Rashaan and the Hubbard DVDs... I'll probably wau-it until my library has the latter two to order them, though.... What's interesting is that many of these DVDs in this 5th series are 70's broadcasts

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic