JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lô Borges, Toninho Horta & Beto Guedes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lô Borges, Toninho Horta & Beto Guedes
    Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 2:50pm
Hello there, everyone!

first of all, I'd like to, once again, congratulate all the people who created and supported Jazz Music Archives.

And I would also like to suggest that JMA to feature Lô Borges, Toninho Horta and Beto Guedes. Brazilian members, along with those that saw and supported my efforts to fullfill some info on Milton Nascimento's albums, are very likely familiar with these names. All of them belonged to what is called "Clube da Esquina" - the Belo Horizonte music scene in the 70's - and would frequently play each other's compositions (not to mention guest in each other's albums and gigs). I am not entirely sure if these three artists should be considered Jazz - come to think of it, I don't know to what genre Milton Nascimento and anyone from "Clube da Esquina" could belong! I therefore ask those who are familiar both with Jazz and these artists whether they should be featured here.

And, finally, I would like to ask if Som Imaginário (a band that backed Milton Nascimento in the late 60's and early 70's) could be featured here on behalf of their third and last album, "A Matança do Porco", which is very clearly influenced by Jazz (their first two albums are usually considered Psychedelic Rock). It is already featured in ProgArchives, in case you need more info on Som Imaginário.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 3:04pm
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! Got any samples by chance, a few youtube links or similar?
(Helps for approvals & genre tagging)
We can check the PA one pretty easy, of course.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Oneiromante View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 3:44pm
a song from Som Imaginário's third album - "A Matança do Porco" - called "A 3":

"Vento de Maio", by Lô Borges (there's a pretty different version by Elis Regina):
It is possible to check some of his songs on "Clube do Esquina" (1972): 
-"Tudo o que Você Podia Ser"
-"Um Girassol da Cor de seu Cabelo"
-"Trem Azul"
-"Trem de Doido"
and others.

"Manuel, o Audaz" from Toninho Horta:
other songs you could listen to:
-"Durango Kid" in Milton Nascimento's "Milton" (1970)
-"Beijo Partido" in Milton Nascimento's "Minas" (1975)

"Lumiar" by Beto Guedes:
I'd also suggest:
-"O Sal da Terra"
-"Bandolim"
-"Caso Você Queira Saber"

and, well, thanks for your patience once again. Though some most likely won't be featured here (Beto Guedes is more Rock than anything else), I must insist you listen to them and their great music.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:25pm
Hmmm, sorry Oneiro but I have to disagree partially with your suggestions (btw, I'm a huge fan of the mentioned artists and Som Imaginário). Let's see:

- Som Imaginário: their right place is indeed ProgArchives due to their first 2 albums (pure psych). Here, thanks to their 3rd album they could go to Jazz Related but I think that there's no hurry.

- Toninho Horta: OK, he worked with Hancock, Shorter, Milton, Sergio Mendes, Eliane Elias, Metheny; he's also considered by many a great jazz guitarist. Latin Jazz definetely.

- Beto Guedes: IMHO he belongs to the pop-rock scenario with the typical Brazilian aroma. Probably he fits better the ProgRelated section of ProgArchives than any section here (but it's only a way of comparison not a real suggestion).

- Lô Borges: he worked close to Milton Nascimento and others and we may see glimpses of jazz in his career. Anyway, I think he goes more prog-rock than jazz in general and he could be in the same company of the abovementioned Beto Guedes... well, due to his bonds to Milton Nascimento, maybe a place in Jazz Related.

Another artist you forgot to mention that IMO has great credentials to join JMA is Wagner Tiso.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:28pm
Just to make sure that I'm a huge fan of the suggested artists, I'd like to inform that the song below composed by Milton Nascimento & Fernando Brant and performed by Beto Guedes is something like a personal anthem. It's the typical Brazilian pop-rock made in late 1970s and early 1980s.

I recommend! Smile

Edited by Atkingani - 01 Feb 2012 at 5:31pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 8:18pm
Thanks a lot guys, all of these will be checked out.
Oneiromante View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 10:13am
no problem, Atkingani! (não precisa ser Jazz para ser bom, afinal!)
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Oneiromante Oneiromante wrote:

no problem, Atkingani! (não precisa ser Jazz para ser bom, afinal!)

Com certeza! Right on! Cool
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 7:14pm
We added Wagner Tiso and some of his discog, still checking out the others.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 3:53am
Cool
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:26pm
Tonino Horta has been approved and will be added soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic