JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A List Of Books About Jazz ++

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazzis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A List Of Books About Jazz ++
    Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:42am
You are welcome to visit my site and check out the list og books about music (mostly Jazz) in my library. They come with a short commentary:

Have Fun!
Adam Baruch

Jazzis Web Shop
https://www.jazzis.com/shop/

The Soundtrack Of My Life
http://www.adambaruch.com/
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 1:27pm
Read a few books thats for sure. The Miles autobiography was a great read.
Matt
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:05pm
One of my absolute favorite books, is "Miles Beyond" The Electric Explorations of Miles Davis" from Paul Tingen, It is my favorite of all Davis Books. It really helped me make some sense of the timeline of his music.

Also the Ashley Khan Books on Kind of Blue and A love Supreme, are fantastic.

The torment of Buddy Rich, by John Minihan.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:08pm
^have you read the book that focuses on Bitches Brew? 
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

^have you read the book that focuses on Bitches Brew? 
  Is that the one called Miles Runs the Voodoo Down?, if so, I didn't particularly think is was a bad book, but not as good as the tingen book, a lot of rehash in it.  The stuff in the Tingen book really gets into some of the seedy details of the Davis during that period, Paul Buckmaster has some great stories in it. Listening to say Dark Magus, then reading the book, it's not hard to understand why the music sounds that way, Miles life was the same way at that time, on the edge and out of control, as much as his 80's music is maligned, we are lucky to have it,  as his lifestyle should have ended his life prematurely. it even goes in depth about the lost 76-80 period as well.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

One of my absolute favorite books, is "Miles Beyond" The Electric Explorations of Miles Davis" from Paul Tingen, It is my favorite of all Davis Books. It really helped me make some sense of the timeline of his music.

Also the Ashley Khan Books on Kind of Blue and A love Supreme, are fantastic.

The torment of Buddy Rich, by John Minihan.
I have "Miles Beyond",  as well as several other Miles books, but its been a while since I read any of them.
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Jazzis Jazzis wrote:

You are welcome to visit my site and check out the list og books about music (mostly Jazz) in my library. They come with a short commentary:

Have Fun!

Seeing you've read a couple of Stuart Nicholson's books, strongly recommedn you read his Is Jazz Dead or Moved To A New Address, which examines in some detail where jazz has evolved to in the last 30 years, with some emphasis on nu.jazz coming out of Europe but also taking on board Wynton Marsalis's ideas that "jazz is America's classical music".

Is Jazz Dead?: Or Has It Moved to a New Address
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic