JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend prog fan some non-prog jazz.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend prog fan some non-prog jazz.
    Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 5:43pm
Oh God how I hate these "recommend me something" threads on that other site.  However this could be some fun.

1. I came to appreciate jazz through jazz rock fusion.
2. I love just about anything put out by the ECM label.
3. I kinda like Stephane Grappelli's swing stuff as well as his odd excursions. 
4. I have explored Miles' catalog and have many titles from Birth Of The Cool through to his venture into fusion and beyond.
5. Tried some Bird and liked it.
6. My first serous exposure to jazz were free live shows in Piedmont Park in Atlanta and also more intimate stuff at local jazz stuff.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 06 Jan 2012 at 6:28pm
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:17pm
Hey, if you don't have any of these already it might be worth a listen:

Bill Evans' Everybody Digs Bill Evans is a great trio album (drums, bass & piano) and has some of the Cool feel (at times) of Davis' KOB but elsewhere is more upbeat. As Bill played on KOB that's no surprise!

Charles Mingus The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - if you'd like a post bop/big band mix up

So much of Herbie Hancock's catalogue - in fact, I'd be interested to hear what you've got of him, so as to try and suggest something there - though it's hard to go wrong with his post bop stuff

Cannonball Adderly's Somethin Else comes to mind too - he was influenced by Bird of course - it's a mix of Cool and Hard Bop and features Miles

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 2:00am
The title of thread was to recommend non-progressive jazz to a fan of prog rock. I considered it and thought that effective means might be this.

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

1. I came to appreciate jazz through jazz rock fusion.
4. I have explored Miles' catalog and have many titles from Birth Of The Cool through to his venture into fusion and beyond.

Therefore it is all albums of Miles Davis.Tongue
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 2:17am
Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers - "A Night In Tunisia"
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:04am
You might would like Sun Ra, I have reviews up for several of his albums. His albums can be quite different from each other.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 11:10am
Cool, plenty of stuff I have heard of and likely have heard but haven't dived into yet.  The exception being the albums of Miles Davis.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 2:44pm
Well, I'll come and recommend you some modern jazz albums that may have nothing to do with your taste:

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 5:42pm
Hey i like Mahavishnu and Davis and Santana - but I am totally lost here. Nice to visit though.

See ya'
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:41pm
Try some more hard bop and post bop type stuff. Moanin' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers is a great one. Also, Dizzy Gillespie is fantastic, and his fusion of different styles of jazz creates whole new experiences. Check out the composition Kush in particular. Possibly his most well-known composition, A Night in Tunisia, has been done by all sorts of artists. Charlie Parker recorded the definitive version, but as Darkshade said, check out Art Blakey's band doing it. It's incredible.

And a prog guy can never go wrong with some Mingus and Monk.

EDIT: Just noticed no mention of Coltrane in this thread yet. A Love Supreme is one of the greatest concept albums to come out of jazz, so a prog boy should feel right at home with it, heh. I know a lot of people swear by Blue Train but I prefer Giant Steps. More exploratory.

Edited by MilesBeyond - 28 Jan 2012 at 12:44pm
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 2:47pm
Sorry for not dropping back in on the thread for a while.  I just tried the Wesseltoft and really liked it.

All the artists MilesBeyond mentioned are familiar names.  I actually have a Charlie Parker compilation but Tunisia isn't on it, also the movie Bird. 
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 4:38am
There's so much great jazz out there. It's just like prog. You've just got to find what you like and listen to them and branch out and find more you like and....

I'm opposite you, I was a jazz fan who turned to prog years ago through fusion. I guess if i were recommending jazz I'd do the same as I would prog--listen to the giants first--the old big band stuff like Ellington and Armstrong and Basie and Coleman Hawkins, and Charlie Parker with bop. Mid fifties is when jazz gets more dynamic, with Davis and Coltrane leading the way. Then you've got the up and comers like Herbie Hancock and Freddie Hubbard setting the pace, with new advances made in free jazz by Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Sam Rivers, et al....Vocal Jazz his it's giant too, if you're into that sort of thing

If you're looking for some fusion in the meantime try George Duke, his mid seventies records are great. He played with Zappa '73-'75.
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:07am
The record that first made me say "Wow, jazz is awesome" is Joe Pass- Live at Yoshi's Vol. II. I then branched out and found what I liked, and I tend to drift to more progressive oriented artists like Larry Young and McCoy Tyner. They really pushed the envelope in the post bop stage.

Jimmy Smith is a seminal artist on the organ, Kenny Burrell is a fabulous guitarist. Wes Montgomery is essential jazz listening.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:51am
^ Love the Jimmy & Wes albums, and Jimmy's Root Down especially

Actaully, Slarti, I'd recommend Root Down if for a rock/jazz/soul album
Reviews...
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:32am
On a related note, I've been checking out the artists playing at the Atlanta Jazz Festival this weekend.  Lots of variety, Nadav Remez and Russell Gunn sound like must see for me.  Big smile
Roy Ayers is probably obligatory, too.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:42am
^ just checked out the 'Grace Kelly Quintet' - expecting a 50s cinema fan - but didn't expect a 19 year old girl playing sax!

Her cover of 'Ain't no Sunshine' was fun stuff
Reviews...
Dr Clovenhoof View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Clovenhoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 11:52am
Loads of great recomendations here already I see but here's a slightly more obscure one - Woody Shaw's 'Blackstone Legacy'. Not fusion, but Jazz with a raw bleusy energy and subtle complexities as well as a cool name and a cool cover!
HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 5:05pm
I agree that Giant Steps and Love Supreme are essential.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic