JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Collab's Top Ten Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collab's Top Ten Albums
    Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 8:53pm
Not just for the ego, I suppose, but a space for the Top Ten Albums as seen by the Admins, Spec Collabs, Collabs etc

Here's my list as it stands on Jan 6, 2012. I expect it to change of course - for instance, ten, five, two years ago this list would have been different. (And next month it might change again) Listed in no particular order and with some small discussion.

Charles Mingus
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Impulse!

A tremendous accomplishment in composition and arrangement; a post bop, big band mix of film noir
and thematic variation. It commands your attention in a way that few albums do. It's restless and surprising.

Miles Davis
Kind of Blue
Columbia

There are probably a half dozen of his albums that would fit in my Top Ten, but usually it's KOB. Modal cool supreme.
Very powerful music contained within, and not powerful in a raging bull kind of way. I wish I could hear this album again for the first time.

Janko Nilovic
Rythmes Contemporains
Editions Montparnasse 2000

Nilovic gathered 45 musicians for this monster session and its fruits are impressive - in fact, the term 'library music,' (when used in a derogatory sense) is unfair to Janko's Rythmes Contemporain. Rather, the record is a seething set of exotica that stretches from lush pop to big band, fusion and beyond. Cinematic.

Herbie Hancock
Empyrean Isles
Blue Note

Very much an improv-based exploration of ideas and themes, (taking its starting point from Greek myths) the music here ranges across styles of free, bop, funk and modal jazz. With a fine collection of sidemen (Williams & Carter for rhythm and Hubbard on cornet) the material Hancock has written is handled wonderfully. It's an especially warm-sounding album, with inspired soloing (standard for much jazz, I know) especially from Hubbard on tracks like 'Cantaloupe Island' and 'One Finger Snap' or my favourite, 'Oliloqui Valley' with its deceptively gentle introduction and lurking bursts of energy.

Keith Jarrett
The Köln Concert
ECM

Reportedly the piano was not too flash, which is part of why Jarrett played what he played, which is
in itself impressive. A peak of improvised music and a third stream classic. It's another of those albums
which can transform your mood the moment you play it.

Freddie Hubbard
First Light
CTI

Not just for two fantastic fusion albums, or the more considered and loose feel to Hubbard's soloing, but this
one finds a spot in my Top Ten for his fine touch on the more romantic moments, the ballads here are
beautiful.

Bill Evans
Everybody Digs Bill Evans
Riverside

The album Miles stole from for KOB. Just kidding, though if you were hoping that the man who, in all likelihood, wrote parts or all of 'Blue in Green' and 'Flamenco Sketches' was able to cut it as a leader, then look here. Everybody Digs... also includes some more upbeat numbers that display his great interpretative ability.

Toshiko Akiyoshi
Long Yellow Road
BMG Japan

From this progressive big band album, there is one highlight 'Children in the Temple Ground' which is simply a triumph - it uses the big band to support melody in such an effective way that you forget you're listening to a large cast of players. Aside from the brilliant meeting of musical traditions of east and west as heard in the song, it features wonderful extended soloing by Akiyoshi, something that I'd been craving.

Way Out West
Old Grooves for New Streets
Jazzhead

A fine blend of African and Vietnamese rhythms and instruments with more traditional Jazz, in one of the best World Fusion albums around. Peter Knight leads the more traditional jazz elements on this one with his trumpet, but the show stealer is often Dung Nguyen and his modified electric guitar, dan bau and dan tranh.

John Coltrane
Olé Coltrane
Atlantic

One of his more experimental (precluding his Free albums) Ole is sometimes credited as being influenced
by Miles' Sketches of Spain and it has SOME of that feel to it, but combined with more Modal/African hints.
It's easily one of his most satisfying releases and while not exactly overlooked, is rarely mentioned in the same
breath as A Love Supreme or Giant Steps and Blue Trane.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 05 Jan 2012 at 10:14pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:09am
I'd expect a collab's yearly top ten, at leat starting with 2011 Wink
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:25am
That's a great idea - I don't think I own enough from 2011 myself - but I bet some of the rest of the team could manage it no sweat
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 12:59pm
I havent even heard enough of 2011 jazz albums to make a 2011 list. However, I'll definitely make a top 10 all time list.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

don't count on me for that

Only bought three 2011 albums, and heard another four... not by choice, though... just happened that way
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:43am
I want to look at an opinion of everybody for a while. Because I am not great so as to give an advice.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:47am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I havent even heard enough of 2011 jazz albums to make a 2011 list. However, I'll definitely make a top 10 all time list.

Ace, looking forward to seeing it, Mike

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I want to look at an opinion of everybody for a while. Because I am not great so as to give an advice.

You don't have to go overboard like I did, Kazu Wink  I was going to just do a list at first, but I was having too much fun!
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:59am
In any case I did not become negative, but this topic feels that much pleasure is included. Because it was the top ten that a collaborator thought about, I only withered a little. To offer good suggestion.LOL

I intend to enjoy it about this topic, too.Cool
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:11am
Then we'll soon see a 'Kazuhiro Top Ten' I hope? Thumbs Up
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:26am
Yes. I thought about the top ten of own to see this topic immediately. It may not be a thing of 2011. However, it will come here immediately.Smile
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:13am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

On your request (my 2011 top,could be changed with time though): 

few more to come....

Edited by snobb - 08 Jan 2012 at 3:05pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:22am
Thumbs Up
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:33am
OK. The preference will vary. Anyway, I will be good if this is helpful. However, the comment of each album is not helpful.

Art Blakey
Ugetsu
Riverside

Dynamic. Harmony. Luster.

Duke Jordan
Flight to Jordan
Blue Note

Lyrism. An ease. A melody.

Walt Weiskopf
Exact Science
Iris

Hard. A maze. Science.

Allan Holdsworth
I.O.U.
self-release

Originally. Opening. Fusion.

Thelonious Monk
Brilliant Corners
Riverside

Pleasure. Pleasure. A positive.

Return to Forever
Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
Polydor

A change. An attack. Space.

Ananda Shankar
Ananda Shankar
Reprise

Mind. Feelings. Heresy.

Marcos Valle
Previsao do Tempo
EMI/Odeon

Sensitivity. Struggling on. Sensitivity.

David Sancious
Just as I Thought
One Way Records

Self. A peak. Flowering.

Bill Evans / Jim Hall
Undercurrent
Blue Note

Equality. Dignity. Quality.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 08 Jan 2012 at 5:37am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:52pm
Now you all must realise this is changing thing. What are my top ten albums today may change tomorrow but the majority will remain. You never know I may hear a new album that will knock one out . New means one I have not heard, might be recorded in 1910 on cylinder but if I have not heard it is new for me.

Product Details
Product Details
Product Details
Product Details
Product Details
Product Details
Product Details
Product Details
Product Details
Product Details

I need a top hundred and still would be going to fit them all in. There are other albums by artists above that I could have easily included as there are four Miles albums alone, let alone Coltrane. Could have filled the top ten with just them.

Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 9:14pm
in no particular order (let me know if I should make a specific order).
These are not necessarily my favorites by these artists, a few are not even my favorite jazz albums in general; but these I feel are the most important albums for the genre (that I know of).

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles

Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

Sun Ra - Jazz in Silhouette

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Honorary Mentions:
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz To Come
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Dave Holland - Extended Play: Live at Birdland
Herbie Hancock - Thrust
Herbie Hancock - Crossings
Pat Metheny Group - The Road To You
Miles Davis - Miles Smiles

Edited by darkshade - 08 Jan 2012 at 9:23pm
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:23am
Awesome - much for me to check out here!
Favs/Importance, all good, Mike Smile
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:50am
Some all-time faves:

Miles Davis   "Get Up With It"
Herbie Hancock   "Speak like a Child"
Sun Ra      "Angels and Demons at Play"
Sun Ra      "Atlantis"
Don Ellis     "Live at Monterrey"
"Best of Jimmy Smith"      Blue Note
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:15pm
Excellent reminder, John - I still haven't got 'Get Up With It' . Added to The List
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 11:46pm
Oh. I forgot to recommend "Mizrab" of Gabor Szabo. I like performances such as George Benson. And I feel that Gabor Szabo has superior talent again.
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:22pm
Really good list
Thanks, added to the list!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic