Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Sam Rivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Sam Rivers
    Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:02pm

Jazz Artist Sam Rivers Dead at 88

Played with Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock

Sam Rivers, a widely respected jazz saxophonist and composer who played with Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and many other giants, died Monday in Orlando, Fla. The cause of death was pneumonia; he was 88.

Born in Oklahoma, Rivers studied at the Boston Conservatory before beginning his career during the bebop era, when he performed with Quincy Jones and other fellow newcomers. Rivers recruited 13-year-old drummer Tony Williams, who went on to a significant career with Miles Davis. Rivers himself joined Davis' band in 1964, appearing on the album Miles in Tokyo. He left after a brief stint, replaced by Wayne Shorter. Rivers, who played tenor and soprano saxophone, flute and bass clarinet, went on to record several free-jazz albums under his own name for Blue Note.  

During the 1970s Rivers and his wife, Beatrice, opened their New York loft, Studio Rivbea, to free-jazz performances, creating one of the most vibrant spaces on the "loft jazz" scene. Later in life, Rivers toured with Dizzy Gillespie's band and worked with musicians employed by the Walt Disney Company in Orlando.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jazz-artist-sam-rivers-dead-at-88-20111228
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:23pm
What a great recorded legacy he leaves behind, a very unique horn player who sounded like no one else.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:29pm
Great musician. His Blue Note stuff is very good.  Sad to hear but he made 88, that is pretty good
"Dimensions and Extensions" Thumbs Up is great
 The others are good too. "A New Conception" has just been released on vinyl but none have appeared yet for sale. Confused I have been looking out for it myself.

And I forget to add him in my Blue Note Poll Ermm Hope that was not the final tipping point.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

And I forget to add him in my Blue Note Poll Ermm Hope that was not the final tipping point.

Best be careful from now on. Wink
He also shows up on one of Larry Young's very best records, although I forget the title right now.

Edited by js - 28 Dec 2011 at 5:41pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:48pm
I still often hear "Miles in Tokyo". In Miles Davis groups before Wayne Shorter joins it, wind instrument players were always replaced, but the performance of the time is not bad.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

He also shows up on one of Larry Young's very best records, although I forget the title right now.

Is it "Into Somethin'" album?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Is it "Into Somethin'" album?
Yes, with Grant Green and Elvin Jones as well Kazuhiro.

Also "Dimensions and Extensions" was originally released in a double album "Involution" with a session he did with Andrew Hill added which has become the "Change" album on cd.
Matt
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 8:03pm
RIP
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 2:10am
RIP
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 10:28am
That's a real bummer, I recently purchased a Mosaic Select box with the Rivbea Orchestra, very nice current big band recording reminiscent of the mid 70's Impulse album Crystals, One thing I like about the style, Though it is very avant garde, it has this Funk element within its sound, that makes it more accessible than most in the free jazz realm.

I believe his Blue Note album Contours is his best.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 11:24am
RIP
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 1:22pm
Damn! Cry
I'm only familiar with a few releases he's played on (Dave Holland's "Conference of the Birds", and his album "Waves"), but enjoyed them both.  Definitely need to check out more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic