JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Jazz Band 1960's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portugaljazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Jazz Band 1960's
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 10:45pm

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (1961)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o
This is one of there music which I like most .. Take Five band was the best ever Jazz performers on 1960's.. Just want to share my favorite Jazz Band

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 10:54pm
Welcome to the site. I think that it is a well-known fact to be the music that "Take Five" is very splendid, but I will raise drum solo of Joe Morello as a notable point in this music. I feel that the charm of this music is not established without it.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:09pm
By the way, have you heard a version of Carmen McRae and George Benson about Take Five?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 4:10pm

Hello to portugaljazz, welcome to the site. Great album "Take Five" actually a classic

I'm a Miles fan and his Quintet with Wayne, Herbie,Ron and Tony are my tops from the sixties, closely followed by Coltrane with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones with whoever was on bass Garrison, Davis, Workman, all pretty good. But look out I do have many more faves.Big smile
Matt
portugaljazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portugaljazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 8:00pm
Hi kazuhiro thank you ... yes I have heard George and Carmen versions both do a great job ...  As I saw the video George Benson was very awesome .. I love the way he plays the guitar ....
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 8:10pm
Have you heard Benson's new CD?
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 8:28am
It would be hard to argue with the second great quintet of Miles Davis, If you own any of the albums from Miles Smiles to Miles in the Sky, as well as the Plugged nickel session. But from what I have read, during the 60's, Coltrane's quartet was easily the most popular and critically acclaimed, Only later into the 70's and 80's did the Davis quintet start getting it's just due. I find it interesting that 2 decades after that,  the electric music of Miles started getting its proper due. Which really shows ahead of his time he was, even today his music from 1964-1975 still sounds modern and has not dated a bit.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 1:39am
Miles' Second Great Quintet is the best. Only Coltrane comes close to musical perfection that Davis' band achieved. Ornette Coleman's band was really good too, as was McCoy Tyner's band, and Charles Mingus'.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 5:15am
Maybe Miles' second - or Mingus' at the time? Like on Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus etc
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
portugaljazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portugaljazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 4:01am
Js I havent heard Benson's New CD can you share a link or post it here ... thank you .. I look forward to hear that 
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:33pm
Well for me it's totally Maiden Voyage - ranging from the title track to 'The Eye of the Hurricane’ and 'Dolphin Dance’

Stopbyforjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stopbyforjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
I too love-Brubeck's  Take Five,which is also the best selling[Jazz 45]of all time,a group that gets little mention is the splendid-Bill Timmons Trio,very nice Sixties group.

Edited by Stopbyforjazz - 07 Jan 2019 at 7:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic