JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need more Coltrane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:46am
GIANT STEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A MUST!
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 1:03pm
Let's not forget the Miles Davis albums that Coltrane is on, those are just as essential as any of his own albums. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:45pm
So I realized I need more Coltrane myself.

I have:
Blue Train
Giant Steps
A Love Supreme
Soultrane

I've heard various other albums here and there in the past, but those 4 albums are the ones I'm most familiar with. I don't know what to check out next, I've heard the One Up, One Down: Live At The Half Note that came out a few years ago is really good. Any help?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:18pm
^ judging from the albums you have, looks like "My Favorite Things" is a good way to go.

Coltrane is amazing, i always thought that nobody could top the album "Giant Steps" and his big ensemble avant-garde records were like no one else long ago, but I probably listen to other sax players more than him. so my knowledge may be a bit limited.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:27pm
Ah yes, I know I've heard his rendition of My Favorite Things, and probably the rest of that album too. I'll look into that one next.

I remember watching a documentary with Coltrane in it, and he was playing so furiously. It makes me want to check out a good live album of his, of course, I've heard stuff with Miles, but I'd like one with Coltrane's own band(s).
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:34pm
I agree, he's an odd fit with Miles, two very different approaches to music.
Coltrane with Elvin Jones is always amazing.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 12:46am
I love Ole which has a fantastic opening piece and a great ballad too. The opener has a slight 'My Favourite Things' feel, with a Spanish influence in terms of the root material. Features Freddie Hubbard on trumpet as well, which I really enjoy. Have a review up.

The album above is pretty good too - though I like a few of the alternate takes better than the ones that made the original LP!   I also recently got Ascension but haven't made much headway yet
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2014 at 9:23am
If you can afford them, I'd recommend your getting the box sets of his recordings for Prestige, Atlantic and Impulse.

The recording engineering at Atlantic is nowhere near as good as that at Rudy van Gelder's studio, where most of the Prestiges and Impulses were recorded. At Atlantic, Elvin's drums sound as if they are in a cardboard box. Nevertheless, the Atlantic sessions in October, 1960, are superb. They were the first with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones, and Steve Davis plays great (on bass) too.

Outstanding Prestige albums are "Settin' The Pace" and "Lush Life".

I also strongly recommend the "Crescent" album - very tasty.

Later, you should check out the recordings Trane made for Savoy with Wilbur Harden as leader. The first of these has some electrifying Trane, with Tommy Flanagan on piano as a bonus.
carlomuscat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlomuscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 11:47am
Some others albums that might interest you, which you can listen to on YouTube, are Coltrane (Prestige, 1957), Dakar (1963), The Cats (1957), Lush Life (Prestige).

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned already, but I believe Coltrane Plays the Blues (1962) is one of the essential Coltrane albums.

I hope this helps.
Carlo Muscat
www.carlomuscat.com

SoundCloud | bit.ly/11dCu7g
YouTube | bit.ly/1UhEyUb
Bandcamp | bit.ly/1Wp0HQH

Instagram | bit.ly/1pkoFAI
Twitter | bit.ly/1UYdGIQ

PopetherevXXVIII View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopetherevXXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 12:45pm
Ellington and Coletraine is alright. It's not a great Duke album and not a great Coletraine album but as a stand alone piece It's enjoyable.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 4:19pm
My Favourite Things, Blue Train, A Love Supreme, "Africa" and of course although he is only a side man "Monks Music" .  I find one of his most intense albums was "Live At The Village Vanguard" and recommend the box set on cd.

I am not a fan of his later material. Anything up to and including "Sun Ship" after that he lost me. I primarily like Bop in any variety but with Avante I have my favourites and the not so ones with very little in between.
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

with Avante I have my favourites and the not so ones with very little in between.

Some of my favorite records are AG jazz records, but bad or even mediocre AG jazz is unbearable after a few minutes.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

with Avante I have my favourites and the not so ones with very little in between.

Some of my favorite records are AG jazz records, but bad or even mediocre AG jazz is unbearable after a few minutes.
It is John. Although I like Avante myself I never play it when my wife is present. She loves Bop but boy do I hear about AG Jazz if on. 

Matt
Padraic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:53am

antongf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antongf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 4:27pm
I have a large collection of albums by Coltrane (though not everything he ever recorded) and, although some of them are better than others,  I don't think Trane ever cut a bad album. One of my favorites is Ballads, which is usually seen as more of a commercial venture and therefore very severely criticized by many critics. I agree that it is much easier to digest and enjoy than his more experimental work, but I still think it's a valuable album, and I actually find myself coming back to it periodically, especially when I am listening to Coltrane late at night...
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 2:28pm
Don't forget to make your way to Alice Coltrane's work eventually!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by liontime liontime wrote:

Don't forget to make your way to Alice Coltrane's work eventually!

AbsofùckinglutelyClap

Ptah The El Daoud and Journey to Satchidananda are Alice at her top.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

jazzlover98 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzlover98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 3:08am
Coltrane's version of 'My Favorite Things" is a personal favorite of mine. You should really check it out. It's a long, largely improvised, creative twist on the song that is almost 14 minutes long.  
Shrdlu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrdlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 2:40pm
I have had most of Trane's recordings for many years. He was a jazz giant in the top half-dozen.

I am now older, and confident enough to say that I think his later material - mid 1965 onward - was just a damned noise. I have heard all of it, even including a 4 CD set of a 1966 tour of Japan. You get long tracks of Trane and Pharoah Sanders just screeching and honking. Alice Coltrane didn't swing, and just rumbled around on the piano. Rashied Ali didn't swing either. McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones were angry about the new direction and left. Elvin's remark about Rashied isn't very polite, so I won't quote it here.

Just being honest.

But, anything before mid 1965 was great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic