JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noise !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noise !
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:11pm
So, noise is always a controversial topic.. but i hope that among the jazz fans that changes (well there is a few free guys that go as far as noise sonorities, so it's quite close to jazz (if you think ofcourse jazz in a very wide box).. you could say that from time to time). I would like to know if there is here in the forum people that listen to this kind of sound, and if so.. share some links and names so that we can discover more !

Lately, i've been quite addicted to Kevin Drumm and the album Sheer Hellish Miasma and this amazing track http://youtu.be/tL-fohhu_FI (listen to it on good speakers, thats my advice.) but this is clearly some lovely harsh noise.

My latest discover is Toshimaru Nakamura and is no-input machine (fi you dont know what is it and you're all hardware geek, go check it out now! Its beautiful) , and he's known as an improviser.. i really recommend it ! http://youtu.be/dqfGbtqDVDk

so, and what about you guys?

Edited by dionisio - 16 Aug 2011 at 3:13pm
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:10pm
I love Merzbow. Since this is a jazz forum I choose to recommend Door Open at 8 AM.
dionisio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:15pm
Great, i knew him already bt ive never heard this album, and im correcting that right now !

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:26pm
I've been digging into Merzbow lately and loving most of what I hear. Sheer Hellish Miasma is a great album but that is all I know of Kevin Drumm, and noise in general. I need moar.
dionisio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:29pm
So, you want more.. ill give you all ive got !

This is the noise music i listen the most:

Tyondai Braxton, yes the son of the Anthony braxton, his first albums are totally noise, the more recent ones not so much, bt still, incredible good. He's the guy that made the band battles awsome, and now he left to focus on is solo carer.

Ben Frost, he is more like a ambient / electronic guy, but the thing is that you find a lot of noise even during his more calm stuff, and believe me, if you're going to see him live, prepare yourself, its noisy, really noisy !

Hanatarash, and now some freakin noise, Hanatarash, one of the first bands of Yamataka Eye (just this guy alone represents a big part of the noise culture) with a lot of Dada influence, they were famous for in one of their concerts they start destroying the stage with a caterpillar, there is some photos of that on the web. And of course, for something more soft than Hanatarash, Boredoms, if you only knew how much i love these guys 

Talking about Yamataka Eye is also talking about John Zorn, they are the real dynamic duo, and their work together.. impressive. And of course after talking about these two, Naked City, never jazz snobs ate so much sh*t, according to them of course (cof.)

Emil Beaulieau, this guy is weird, go to youtube and check his videos.. there is nothing more noisier that this, bt still. his attitude is funny.. at least. still, for noise loves its quite a gem. And make you laugh !

Harry Bertoia, so.. this is not really noise, if you want to its white noise, its something more ambient, but i like his music so much that i had to put it here somewhere, this is maybe the opposite of the noise ive been talking about. What he does is Sound sculpture, basically he is a sculptor.. with the particularity that his sculpture make music, it is beautiful and impressive.

Bill Orcutt, I saw this guy live in lisbon and it was mind blowing, sure he was really on some heavy stuff if you know what i mean bt that didnt stop him (in fact, just give him more.. power. sort of speak) to give an freakin amazing gig. For guitar players, and for noise lovers. Look for his A New Way to Pay Old Debts, imagine the blues, an acustic guitar and a lot of noise. Its even better live.

talking about Orcutt take us to the bands part.. So Orcutt was the guitar player of a big underground noise rock band from miami ten years ago (somethin like that), Harry Pussy, very violent, very sexual, with a touch of no wave. Notthing better.

Mars, pioneers of the no wave movement in new york. What else? Look for their The Complete Studio Recordings NYC 1977-1978 its really really worth it !

back to the japonoise, Ruins, with members from Zeni Geva or Boredoms, drums and bass, its not harsh noise.. but they have their moments, this is a must have.

now Afrirampo, again from japan, more calm, more experimental, bt really freaky, really lovely (i think lovely is the word), and with some really interesting noise approaches !

To finish, three bands that deserve their names on the noise podium, Throbbing Gristle, well for some reason there is a lot of people that say that throbbing gristle are more influential than the beatles ! 
Then Arab on Radar, when you listen to them for the first time they look like any other american band that just have a garage and some few instruments, the thing is that these guys really do a good job.. in a very peculiar way, from time to time their guitars look out of tune, the singer look like someone who suffers.. a lot, and their compositions are not appealing at all, the thing is, you listen one of their best albums once, and you are hooked. Im totally addicted to this band. 
The last one, again more no wave just as arab on radar, but this last band has a different.. sound, let's say . Ex-Models, a lil bit more experimental, and very conscious of what they are doing, sometimes you have a bit of a indie feeling bt dont let that mislead you, there is noise, a lot of noise that will take the hipsters away ! And if you love Devo (as i do.) they have an album dedicated to devo, kinda in a bending-devo approach, they're good, really good. 

Oh, i almost forget, back to real harsh noise, look for the compilations extreme music from japan and extreme music from africa and you'll have noise for a long time ! (and the compilations are full with incredible artists.)

And i think the names i have to offer, i tried to make the list as varied as possible !

Edited by dionisio - 16 Aug 2011 at 5:31pm
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:49pm
If I'd wear glasses, they'd be all steamed and cracked from reading the above.

ClapBeer

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 1:51am
I forgot that I've also heard Aube's Variable Ambit, the first track has some tones that are pretty painful at any volume but the rest of the album is laid back in comparison.

I've heard of most of the artists in that list but still haven't checked them out. Embarrassed Are there any in particular that are similar to this?

Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:10am
Originally posted by dionisio dionisio wrote:

Kevin Drumm and the album Sheer Hellish Miasma

sh*t, i played that disc till it broke, literally; snapped in the player, almost, reducing me to tears. Emotional stuff. Three months straight twice a day and tinnitus to boot, but it still had me runnin' back the shops (well, flickin' an email to MegoEditions), stratchin' at my neck to stave off the withdrawals. I've most of what he has released, right from the days he was all quiet and minimalist (spares 'n' silent, subtle placements, you know), to his harsh, latter day tapes (and these days the occasional free d/l) which find themselves weary on their reels.

This months been all about the Swede Dan Johansson who goes by the moniker Sewer Election, the month before that Pedestrian Deposit (now that's some tastefully composed noise) and Work/Death (oh, those Tender Comrades). If I'd an inch of motivation in my body I'd bother with a decent post... but I guess that ain't going to happen any time soon... 
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:29pm
Yay a noise thread! Sadly, I have nothing to contribute. I only know Merzbow and Kevin Drumm (to be fair I've heard of others but being these things are usually named after people I quickly forget them).

Oh! How's about Wolf Eyes?? I found them in a discussion about noise rock, but to me (at least with what I have by them) it seems much more noise much less rock. They have an album with Anthony Braxton which also makes them relavent to this forum.

Noise albums are usually too short. Cry

Oh, another. I can't remember his name, but I believe he did an album with Drumm. I think his name was Daniel Machane, or something like that. I saw him in concert with Agalloch and my my was that a cool set. Very hypnotic. Probably more droney/wall of sound type of noise (as opposed to harsh noise kind of stuff). But it was awesome nonetheless.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 9:14pm
I'm actually surprised how many people know 'n' like Drumm :)

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Oh, another. I can't remember his name, but I believe he did an album with Drumm. I think his name was Daniel Machane, or something like that. I saw him in concert with Agalloch and my my was that a cool set. Very hypnotic. Probably more droney/wall of sound type of noise (as opposed to harsh noise kind of stuff). But it was awesome nonetheless.

Yeah, that would have been Daniel Menche, he's been rippin' it up forever. Odd opening act tho'. Were the crowd, in general, interested? Actually I guess it depends. If it staggered along the atmospheric lines of, say, The Face of Vehemence (despite its title it is gentle on the ears) it would have been sound appeasement; so I've, possibly, answered my own question. Saw him in Sydney a couple of years ago in some dingy bar. A real eccentric show, mic's 'n' all. He use much of that at the Agalloch gig? Oh, his album Gauntlet is a little *yawn* and as you mentioned caught up in brevity.

Stumbled upon this yesterday. A whole selection of PAN discs samples (yes, sample before you buy, their CD/vinyl come at a price):
Here's the Sewer Election I've been so smitten with http://soundcloud.com/pan_recs/sewer-election-vid-ppna-s-r-ii

If you mosey down to the bottom right, click on 'view all' it will unveil three pages of goodies. The re-issue of the Hecker album kills. And Billy Bao's Urban Disease was another goodie from last year: lovely noise rock interspersed by chance meetings with silence. The tension! I've not heard the R / S disc yet, but their collaboration on Erstwhile Records near destroyed my speakers. Hi-fidelity noise! The nuisances are so clear 'n' crisp, with the subtleties of a EAI mindset.  

Maybe, more on Wolf Eyes, but I got to run. 
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Katje Katje wrote:

I'm actually surprised how many people know 'n' like Drumm :)

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Yeah, that would have been Daniel Menche, he's been rippin' it up forever. Odd opening act tho'. Were the crowd, in general, interested? Actually I guess it depends. If it staggered along the atmospheric lines of, say, The Face of Vehemence (despite its title it is gentle on the ears) it would have been sound appeasement; so I've, possibly, answered my own question. Saw him in Sydney a couple of years ago in some dingy bar. A real eccentric show, mic's 'n' all. He use much of that at the Agalloch gig? Oh, his album Gauntlet is a little *yawn* and as you mentioned caught up in brevity.

Aha yes! Thats his name. It was indeed interesting. He was a last minute addition to the show (with other opening acts Ariel Ruin and Worm Oroborus) and honestly turned out to my second favorite of the night (behind Agalloch of course). The crowd at that time was still gathering but I didn't see too many people leaving (at least around me...I was near the front though). The set was basically, him and two tables with all sorts of electronic fiddly devices sprawled over all of one table and most of the other. He hopped up onto the half covered table and started to produce some sound and manipulate it. I'm not sure if it was a mic (but it might have been) but he had this thing that looked like a metal rod (that was connected to some of the devices) that he was put up against his throat and eventually started to hit himself with. Towards the end it did get a little more extreme (especially the hitting) but it never got overly noisy (if there is such a thing Tongue). Mostly base drone/soundscape kind of thing with various electronic washes, loops, and flourishes, eventually augmented with the metal rod/mic thing. Very hypnotic and not too loud despite being quite full in sound. Lasted only 25 mins though...Ouch
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 4:53am
I'd have likely flipped the two, since in all likelihood I've been walkin' before the big finale, that is, A Wink Thanks for the report! I've seen him bossing that rod times before, I'd take a chance stab and suggest, via an uneducated opinion, it was attached to a contact mic; picks up the vibrations then amplifies. 

BTW, Hijokaidan have put out some pretty long albums, from memory both Modern and Romance are around the 75min mark. And, you could always pick up some boxsets, tho' there should be disclaimers for health and safety, like C.C.C.C.'s early works, Incapacitants Box is stupid (their album As Loud As Possible is another longin'), or 'The' Merzbox (which I once d/l, polished then discarded all the sh*t, ending up with only a handful of albums. Some of the recordings from the early 80's are rubbish, imho), but the problem with this approach is sh*t gets repetitive real quick, and no matter how softly you play it tinnitus is usually the biggest winner Ouch So, in general I'm all for the shorter albums (check Pedestrian Deposit's Fatale, no bullocks, just 36mins of beautifully structured noise). Some of this might arise from of the popular tape format, too.  

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 8:27pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic