JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best sci-fi films from 00's!

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: The best sci-fi film from the years 00's is....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best sci-fi films from 00's!
    Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 11:14pm
In your opinion, the best sci-fi movie from the 00's is... 
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 12:49am
Donnie Darko for me, tupan!

A great film that has the vibe of the 90s 'disaffected youth' but also the juicy non-linear structuring of time.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 3:39am
I'm not sure copy-pasting topics from PA is the best thing to do here.

Edited by Ricochet - 13 Aug 2011 at 3:40am

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 3:44am
I think some of the best sci-fi movies were made before 00's, now you have more effects but less content
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:41am
^Just see Moon and Primer, there are films with little budget but great ideas!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 11:26am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I think some of the best sci-fi movies were made before 00's, now you have more effects but less content
haven't seen any of the movies in this poll...

but i've got no doubt your assumption is 100% correct
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I think the whole effects vs content thing is what differentiates good modern films from bad ones

From the list, I'd say it's between Moon and District 9. Moon takes it by a gnat's whisker though!

If The Fountain were on the list, I'd chose that. It changed my whole perspective on things, and not many films do that.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 5:57pm
War of The Worlds for me. I loved the remake. You felt like they were chasing you in that first scene when they all appeared form the ground. No I am not a Tom Cruise fan but still a ripper of a movie. Loved the Star Trek, last one. Out of the list I have seen about 1/2 and Pitch Black, Sunshine, Pandorum, District 9 are me faves from them. Have not seen Moon, sounds good.
Matt
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 7:30pm
The only three I've seen on the list are all bunched together.  Of those I'll give it to Donnie Darko.  I like mind fu ck movies.  V and Children are good, too.  I've collected all three. The new Star Trek movie did real justice to the original series.  I hope there are more in store for that cast.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 13 Aug 2011 at 7:33pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:17am
A couple of years ago I would have said Donnie Darko.

District 9 and Inception both have come out recently, and they're both great movies. Between the two, I went with Inception. One of the best movies ever made.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

A couple of years ago I would have said Donnie Darko.

District 9 and Inception both have come out recently, and they're both great movies. Between the two, I went with Inception. One of the best movies ever made.

Hey Mike, if you don't already know about it, there's an anime film from 2006 that you might like. Paprika is a clear influence on Incception (and in turn it is an adaptation of a novel by the same name) and is good stuff.

Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 6:58pm
I'll look into it, I'm not the biggest fan of anime (I used to watch all kinds of anime shows when I was younger)
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'll look into it, I'm not the biggest fan of anime (I used to watch all kinds of anime shows when I was younger)

Cool. You might like it then, it has the pyschological thriller aspect.

Me too! Astro Boy was my favourite - but I remember liking Transformers and He-Man among others. One about some Lions? Thundercats! Yeah that was it. Gonna look it up now
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:00am
I was more into Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo. Never got into those older anime shows
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:45am
^Yes! If you like Inception, Paprika is more than recommended!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic