JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clifford Brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clifford Brown
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 12:43pm
What can you recommend as a starter on CB especially with reference to his soloing?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 1:20pm
I have a couple Brown albums and really enjoy his playing, I'm going to recommend two that I don't have that I hope to get some day that the critics are big on; "Jordu" for the first part of his career and "At Basin Street" for the latter part.
There are also many good compilations such as the "Complete Blue Note - Pacific"
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 4:30pm
I have three on Emarcy(Verve), Clifford  Brown and Max Roach, Study In Brown and Brown and Roach inc., all good

Also recommend Sarah Vaughan ( self titled), great album and also Helen Merrill another good one but I do prefer Sarah Vaughan's one with Cliff

But there is one (actually 2 albums) that you should get for great live solos from him plus the rest of the band too and is actually a bloody Jazz classic in its truest form

A Night at Birdland, Vol. 1

A Night at Birdland, Volume 2

You need both...................Hey, look who is drumming, never heard of him WinkTongue

Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 8:38pm
I also think that At Basin Street is good. Memorial Album is also popular in Japan where I live.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic