JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - John Scofield European tour 2011 September-October
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Scofield European tour 2011 September-October

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Scofield European tour 2011 September-October
    Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:43am

SEPTEMBER 2011

DateCityVenue / Band
01Esbjerg, DenmarkTobakken / with Kluvers Big Band
02Fredrikshavn, DenmarkDet Musiske Hus / with Kluvers Big Band

featuring Nigel Hall - piano + vocals, Andy Hess - bass, Terence Higgins - drums

18Torino, Italy--
20Milano, Italy--
21Porto, Portugal--
23 - 24Istanbul, Turkey--
25Dortmund, Germany--
28Amsterdam, The NetherlandsBimhuis
29Eindhoven, The NetherlandsMuziekgebouw Eindhoven
30Salzburg, Austria--

divider line

OCTOBER 2011
featuring Nigel Hall - piano + vocals, Andy Hess - bass, Terence Higgins - drums

DateCityVenue / Band
01Vienna, Austria--
06Warsaw, PolandEra Jazzu
07Montpeller, France--
08La Rochelle, France--
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 5:50am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 6:12am
Such color combination comes when the copy/paste function was used LOL. Possibly it will attract more members to this information  - will see LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:22pm
WOO! Can't wait for the North American dates
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:23am
uninmpressed by his last album
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:48pm
wasn't it a cover album? I know it wasn't a jazz album (blues or something)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:29pm
I like it, I have a review up if you want to check it out. Its kind of neo-cool of some sort. I thought he put a lot of time into the writing and the playing was very good too.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:41pm
He's coming to Argentina! 

I barely know his work, but I think it is worth the money, probably will see him if I manage to convince someone.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

I barely know his work, but I think it is worth the money, probably will see him if I manage to convince someone.

If you're interested in checking out his work, I can make some recommendations (I have a lot of Scofield's work)
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

If you're interested in checking out his work, I can make some recommendations (I have a lot of Scofield's work)

I've heard his album with Medeski, pretty fun funk. Oh, and he did play on some Cobham records.

And my dad has his work with Metheny, but never heard it yet.

Yeah, I'll be glad to hear some recs.

Edited by Abraxas - 01 Aug 2011 at 8:59pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:59pm

I've heard his album with Medeski, pretty fun funk.

While both of those albums are good, he has many that are light years better than those two.

Give me a minute while I compile a quick list. Or should I start a thread?
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:03pm

I've heard his album with Medeski, pretty fun funk.

While both of those albums are good, he has many that are light years better than those two.

Give me a minute while I compile a quick list. Or should I start a thread?

Do as you please! hehe
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:20pm
I'm mostly going to suggest his fusion stuff, as I feel that is where his best work comes from. His "regular" jazz albums are hit-or-miss.

Billy Cobham & George Duke Band - Live in Europe (1976) - I think you can figure out what this is like. Alphonso Johnson backs everyone up on bass!!!

Live (1977) - This is one of his first albums (and a live one at that) but it showcases his prowess in a jazz context, something he doesn't always get credit for. Not to mention he was young at the time, so you can hear the fire in his playing, shredding, really ripping it (whereas his later stuff is more melodic and tasteful)

Loud Jazz (1987) - Probably my favorite of his 80s albums. Don't be afraid of the fact that it came out in the 80s. Sco with Dennis Chambers on drums, so you know its got groove. Some slap bass here, and George Duke also plays most of the keyboards on this one.

Blue Matter (1986) - Basically the companion album of Loud Jazz; just as good. Lots of slap bass.

Still Warm (1985) - Some nice 80s funky jazz. The previous album Electric Outlet (1984) is sort of the companion album to Still Warm.

If you enjoy any of those 80s albums, the live album Pick Hits: Live (1987) will make a great addition.

A Go-Go (1998) - The 'other' MM&W album with Sco, except its his own album, and is much better IMO than 'Out Louder'. Nice funky grooves, Medeski layin' down some nice piano and organ. This is an album I can listen to straight through, and then listen to again straight through, and not have a problem with it.

Uberjam
(2002) - This is a great album. There's funk, Indian music, electronic music, drum n' bass, some jam-band-esque moments. Adam Deitch is on drums, and if you know his work elsewhere, you know this is a great album.

This Meets That (2007) - This album is a good introduction to his more "straight" jazz stuff, if you will. It's the Scofield Trio backed up by a large horn section (lots of low brass). If you want to check out his jazz stuff first, get this one. 

Edited by darkshade - 01 Aug 2011 at 9:21pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I like it, I have a review up if you want to check it out. Its kind of neo-cool of some sort. I thought he put a lot of time into the writing and the playing was very good too.

For some reason, I forgot he released a new one this year. I thought everyone was talking about his 2009 album Piety Street.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:38pm
^Yes, A-Go-Go is the one  I have!  And that with George Duke I've seen in YouTube and sounds great, didn't know there was an album.

Thanks for the recs, will check him out.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:42pm

^Yes, A-Go-Go is the one  I have!  And that with George Duke I've seen in YouTube and sounds great, didn't know there was an album.

No problem, always glad to help. Smile

I thought you were talking about the Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood album "Out Louder". Well, if you have A Go-Go, check out Out Louder, as it is similar.

Yes, Loud Jazz and Blue Matter both have George Duke on them. The Billy Cobham/George Duke album is a great album, and has some of the best jazz-rock/fusion cuts from the 70s.

Uberjam is probably his most well known within my (our) generation. A lot of people who are into jam bands know about him, and that album in particular.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:44pm
He's also on Billy Cobham's album "Shabazz" which is a live album. One of my favorite Cobham albums.

He's also on a Chet Baker album, the name of which escapes me right now. But I know it came out around 1977. He's also on one of Charles Mingus' last albums.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:46pm

I thought you were talking about the Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood album "Out Louder". Well, if you have A Go-Go, check out Out Louder, as it is similar.

Yes, Loud Jazz and Blue Matter both have George Duke on them. The Billy Cobham/George Duke album is a great album, and has some of the best jazz-rock/fusion cuts from the 70s.

Uberjam is probably his most well known within my (our) generation. A lot of people who are into jam bands know about him, and that album in particular.

Listening to Blue Matter (the song) through YouTube, indeed 80-ish with its slap and keyboards, sounding good! 

This reminds me slightly to an Argentine fusion band from the 80s: Spinetta Jade. Love this band, it has vocals and its very melodic, greatly done imo. 
If you're in the mood for the 80s fusion now, here:
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:47pm
^ "Shabazz" is really good, my favorite Cobham record.
The new Schofield is called "Moments Peace" good writing and good playing, kind of a quiet album, but good.
The one from 2009 Mike is talking about is a gospel album.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 9:50pm

Listening to Blue Matter (the song) through YouTube, indeed 80-ish with its slap and keyboards, sounding good! 

This reminds me slightly to an Argentine fusion band from the 80s: Spinetta Jade. Love this band, it has vocals and its very melodic, greatly done imo. 
If you're in the mood for the 80s fusion now, here:

I'll be back in a couple hours to check this out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic