JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samba
    Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:30pm
Everyone is bald to know that Samba is a genre/style of music 'brother' of Jazz and I think it deserves a tiny space here in JMA.

First, I'd like to show you the samba school battery and the way they play during the samba parade (a contest among schools that takes place every year during Carnival).

Leornard Bernstein once said that it should be impossible for him to command 300 persons being in the same level and dancing at the same time. Well, some dudes do it.

For more information about the samba schools, please check here:

Edited by js - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:45pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:34pm
Samba de raiz (Roots samba) is a sub-genre not related necessarily with Carnival parade. Anyway, composers are generally the same but the rhythm is cruder, traditional.

Edited by Atkingani - 27 Jul 2011 at 4:41pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:34pm
Caxambu is a samba sub-genre that keeps a more definite African flavor.

Edited by Atkingani - 27 Jul 2011 at 4:44pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:55pm
Maxixe is a kind of proto-samba... this song originally recorded in 1928 shows a mix between maxixe and samba.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:01pm
Here the 1916 original version of the so-called 1st samba. However, according to some musicologists this song was actually a maxixe.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:05pm
With Noel Rosa (1910-1937) the urban samba got its final shape - a feature that is copied until today. 

This guy produced with only 26 years of age a tsunami of sambas and related songs hard to be reached.

Edited by js - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:45pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:10pm
Chico Buarque, the most prolific Brazilian popular composer is a die-hard fan of Noel Rosa.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/buarque-chico.aspx?ac=buarq

This 1937 song is considered by many as the pinnacle of the urban samba. The cover shown above was done by Chico Buarque in 1984.

Edited by Atkingani - 27 Jul 2011 at 5:11pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:29pm

[/QUOTE] great stuff.......on to the next onesCool

Edited by js - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:46pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:32pm
Thanks, Matt... I'll try to show the many faces of Samba (just like Jazz) and put it in a chronological order whenever possible. Smile
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Here the 1916 original version of the so-called 1st samba. However, according to some musicologists this song was actually a maxixe.

Ahh Yaa Yay...........absolutely beautiful, like some ole ghost coming from back then...Love itCool
Matt
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:36pm
Back in the 1930s, while composers like Noel Rosa worked more in the urban side of samba other composers soldiered more to link samba with its African roots (origins of samba de raiz).

Edited by js - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:40pm
Meanwhile, some dreamers like Ary Barroso believed that samba could be the 'classical music' of Brazil. Amid his delirious he made this one well-known all over the world.

Here the original recording done in 1939.

Check the arrangement extremely bold for the time.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:51pm
Samba is not only a brand of Rio de Janeiro. Actually it is composed in all parts of Brasil, like Bahia where they play samba in a different mood, more slow, sweeter and warmer.

Dorival Caymmi (1914-2008) was the most famed of the Bahia style samba composers.

Edited by Atkingani - 28 Jul 2011 at 10:17pm
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 5:53pm
The truth is that the samba that Carmen Miranda presented in the USA was much more in the Bahia style than in the Rio de Janeiro style.

This song was composed by Dorival Caymmi around 1938.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:04pm
It became obvious that coming from the same nest one day Samba and Jazz should join again. The result was Bossa Nova.

Edited by js - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:22pm
After all that wonderful music.........Liked Ismael Silva and Ary Barrosa......something about that old stuff Hug

I don't have a lot of Brazilian.....but I have Caetano Velosa, Maria Bethania (his sister as you would know), Sergio Mendes of course, 1 Gilberto Gil and thats  his Bob Marley reggae album LOL, Hermeto Pascoal, Flora Purim but I really dug this one which I bought years back and I am slapping it in the player now. I got a couple more albums of Daniela Mercury ...the next was good but I found the other after too poppy for me.

Feijao Com Arroz

Edited by Matt - 27 Jul 2011 at 6:23pm
Matt
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

After all that wonderful music.........Liked Ismael Silva and Ary Barrosa......something about that old stuff Hug

I don't have a lot of Brazilian.....but I have Caetano Velosa, Maria Bethania (his sister as you would know), Sergio Mendes of course, 1 Gilberto Gil and thats  his Bob Marley reggae album LOL, Hermeto Pascoal, Flora Purim but I really dug this one which I bought years back and I am slapping it in the player now. I got a couple more albums of Daniela Mercury ...the next was good but I found the other after too poppy for me.

Feijao Com Arroz

CoolBeer
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:38pm
I'll check all this out Guigo. Right now we probably put Samba records in Latin Jazz or possibly World Fusion if it is Samba mixed with other elements.

Edited by js - 27 Jul 2011 at 6:39pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:41pm

Is Choro music distinguished from Samba?
Because I was not so well versed in traditional music of Brazil.

I often listen to MPB and Bossa Nova and become comfortable.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Is Choro music distinguished from Samba?
Because I was not so well versed in traditional music of Brazil.

I often listen to MPB and Bossa Nova and become comfortable.

Yes, Kazuhiro... even though many samba composers did choro too.

Originally Choro was only instrumental, later some lyrics were added to choro.

To make things a bit confused there's also the sub-genre samba-choro, where the slow Choro pace is accelerated by the samba beat, like this one:

The original Choro song can be heard here (no lyrics):

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic