JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What are your non-jazz favourite 2011 releases?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are your non-jazz favourite 2011 releases?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 10:14pm
Went through my ipod found a couple more worth mentioning

Virus - The Agent That Shapes The Desert
Beneath The Massacre - Maree Noire EP
Origin - Entity (its a step down from Antithesis but a great record none the less)
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 12:06am
All of them? LOL

Well... My favorite album from this year was probably Phideaux but the rest of the list is way to long. LOL
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 4:42pm
My top five ay the years mid-point were:

Calomito - Cane Di...
Faust - Something Dirty
Ahleuchatistas - Location Location
Korekyojin - Tundra

And something else that escapes my memory. Listened to a few more since then so that list may not be entirely accurate att his point.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
dionisio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 10:12am
I have two albums that come to my memorie, the first one was a disappointing one, the Glass Drop from Battles, i really cannot love it as much as the Mirrored one, and i really miss Tyondai Braxton on the album (even that the great Yamataka Eye makes an appearance), at least its a worth loss, because Braxton solo is something incredible. (check is Central Market album, pure gem.) and then, a great album is the Turbina Anthem from Sei Miguel and Pedro Gomes, the portuguese duo, Pedro Gomes is known for a very noisy, experimental, guitar stuff, and Sei Miguel is a hell of a musician doing improvised music since the 80's here in portugal, pocket trumpet player that mixes something like improvised music, some almost-jazz, and a lot of free.. the turbina anthem, it's a must listen to.

Even that its not from 2011 the last great finding ( i think i start listen to him last week) was Cornelius Cardew, and for jazz lovers / classical / more experimental its someting really impressive, his treatise for exemple, and the interpretation of his work is amazing.  (in case that you listen something from him and you get caught, check this ! http://www.blockmuseum.northwestern.edu/picturesofmusic/pages/anim.html )

Edited by dionisio - 16 Aug 2011 at 11:07am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:49pm
The new Karmakanic album "In A Perfect World" is pretty damn good. Maybe not as good as "Who's the Boss In The Factory?" but Ive only listened to the new one 3 times.
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 11:12am
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:56pm
Glen Campbell  "Ghost On The Canvas"
Somebody has to recommend a bit of Country.

Ghost On The Canvas

Approve ( stamp of approval)  
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 8:03pm
Opeth's Heritage for me, the only one I can think of right now.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 2:19pm

superb

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 1:06pm

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 2:54pm
Here is a few more that grabbed me. I will admit there really is nobody new being all old fave artists.

Reverie

TomRussell  is with Calexico again Cool
Mesabi
Another Tom, good but I think he needs a change again soon. The last few albums are all starting to get a bit too familar with each other but as I said, still good none the less

Bad As Me [Limited Deluxe Edition]

Christy will always be in my top albums. He only has to fart over his accoustic guitar and I will buy it........Luv ya Christy. Another fairly quite album from him, like his previous "Listen"

Folk Tale

And this is the sad one. Jackie's last album. He has released another one of his Boots as well but "Wayside Shrines For The Travelling Man" is his proper last.  Died from cancer this year. Gonna miss his music, he had a new album every year at the minimun and there is not one crap one released.

Wayside Shrines &amp; The Code of The Travelling Man

I have more than one top album from Jackie Leven to recommend but "Shining Brother Shining Sister is stunning. 2003 was the release date.

Matt
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:57pm
To start with that's for sure Adele with her ’21’ album, then goes Radiohead, ‘The King of Limbs’
and also PandaBear, and SuperHeavy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic