JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lets Do Lunch (around the world).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^  I do love a southern sweet slaw (which is what they have at Popeyes)--  one nice substitute for mild sweetness is shredded or thin-sliced pears or apple, that way you don't need as much sugar or sweet mustard.   But, like Brian, I also really like mixing some Sriracha into slaw too.

One of our staple hot sauces to have. Big smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 2:52am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I wouldn't eat much at a KFC, but I do like their sweet slaw, it has a slight similarity to a Thai salad to me also.
I can't do KFC anymore; after going to Popeye's for years, KFC tastes soggy and bland

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:12am
^ What's KFC like in the States? In Australia it's not so good but it's like any other fast food chain - varies from store to store etc
Sometimes I do like the seasoning on the chips but.   
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:49am
I pretty much never eat at fast food places, KFC included, I just happen to like their slaw, its very sweet with an almost rice vinegar taste like an Asian salad. Picturing where the stuff is probably made is not too appetizing though.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:04am
^ Yeah, I went to the drive-through early this year and saw enough current and ex-students from the school where I teach to put me off it a bit...nah, it's not that bad, but some of those kids still aren't cut out for working with food
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:11am
Look out for the 'secret sauce'. Wink
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 9:40pm
 ^ LOL
    Sick

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

^ What's KFC like in the States? In Australia it's not so good but it's like any other fast food chain - varies from store to store etc.   Sometimes I do like the seasoning on the chips but.
not much variation (which I guess is the point), though I've found the McDonald's in non-US countries are a cut above the ones in the States.   As for chicken, Popeyes kicks the Colonel's ass.

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 8:33am
Ah, I did wonder about that.  Popeyes, I once saw a petition going around to get them over here, but I don't know how it went. Now I feel like chicken, any chicken. Maybe mustard chicken and rice
Reviews...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 9:29am
Sympathy for the chicken.  Ir's not our fault God made them taste so good.  Damn you Popeye's!!!  The spicy version is really good. LOL  KFC K muther F C.  Liked it until I had the P.
Here's the question fo all y'all local yokels, why doesn't Popeye's serve spinach? LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - 17 Mar 2012 at 9:33am
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:14pm

In Tokyo, it rains today. I do not yet come in spring, but the temperature slightly rises. Probably the cherry tree will come soon, too.

The rice ball which was made with glutinous rice. Seasoning of thin soy sauce. A bamboo shoot.

A soybean. A green pepper. Konjac. Seasoning of thin soy sauce. A little dogtooth violet starch.

It might be conscious of an American southern dish.Smile However, I feel the American southern dish to be more splendid than my lunch. However, I live in the southern part of Tokyo.LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:18pm
Looks good to me.
I picked up the best Japanese salad at the health food store yesterday. It was lettuce, tofu, shredded carrots, eda mame, some other shredded roots over a bed of rice with a hot sweet dressing, it was good but expensive.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:27pm
I feel it to be splendid. I feel good that there is really even the shop of the Japanese health food in the United States. Even in Japan, the health food is expensive. The people running the agriculture really make the crops with great deal of effort. The portrait of the producer is written on sold vegetables recently. For security.

However, the visitor confirms quality without even its being careful.Big smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:24am
"No one knew if the spirit died
All wrapped to go like Kentucky Fried"
Peter Gabriel. LOL

JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 3:58am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

In Tokyo, it rains today. I do not yet come in spring, but the temperature slightly rises. Probably the cherry tree will come soon, too.
you remind me the plumblossoms will be here soon, so beautiful--  I always hope I pass a tree that someone's recently cut so I can take some of the trimmings

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 8:04pm
Yes. The flower of the plum is beautiful. Probably I may enjoy it in winter and spring. I have not cultivated it. However, the cultivation will not be difficult if there is a young plant.

A bush warbler comes to the flower of the plum in Japan, and there is a custom to feel spring when it calls.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 10:40pm

The weather of Tokyo was unstable recently. However, the afternoon of Sunday when it was fine well now. I seem to be able to thoroughly enjoy the spring food.

A rice ball. It is a tuna among them. Mayonnaise and some soy sauce.

Tofu. Seaweed. Okra. The soy sauce that there are a few seasonings of this salad. The extract of fishery products.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 5:06am
Looks good Kazu. I happened to pick up a lite Japanese meal for dinner last night. A very hot tuna tataki, avocado salad, a sushi roll made with fried sweet potatoe (southern influence) and edamame to cool the fire from the tuna tataki. They make a very good tuna tataki, but it is very hot with large coarse chunks of black pepper.

The weather got warm early this year and I have been enjoying a favorite summer time drink, pour a shot of creme de cassis into a Becks beer,  its kind of sweet from the cassis of course.

Edited by js - 29 Apr 2012 at 12:28pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 10:29am
Yes. Japan is the food that tuna and edamame are liked well in spring and summer. And I am interested in creme de cassis where John mentioned. I was not familiar with Becks beer. And is creme de cassis a kind of the dessert whether it is known well? I look like the dish which fitted at warm time.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:26pm
Creme de Cassis is a very sweet wine that is almost like a liqueur, its made from cassis berries.
Becks is a very plain ale with little flavor, Heinekin is also similar.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 8:12pm

Yes. I remembered it. Cassis is popular in Japan. It may often mix orange juice and carbonated water. I mixed Cassis and tea and have drunk. It may be unorthodox.

And I have not tried Becks, but Heineken is sold in a shop. I was able to imagine the taste.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
  Share Topic