Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lets Do Lunch (around the world).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:05am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Ha, I remember Clement Street, its getting to be a long time ago, but I think there was a used record and CD store there named Flat Plastic Sound. I got to know the owner some, The store closed, I think he only sells on ebay now, ...for shame.
vaguely recall it--  Green Apple, the best and last great bookshop in SF, is at the corner of Clement and 6th.  West two blocks is the market I go to, Mae Wah, another block west is a funky but great old diner called Hamburger Haven, and one more block is a really neat Japanese sci-fi/fantasy/Ultraman/Godzilla/animae shop called Hero's Club I like to visit.

Hey we had five people online a few minutes ago.. things are looking up  LOL

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:14am
I barely remember Green Apple, I was usually on the other side of the city, the eastern side, the mission, south of market and Hunters Point Shipyard. Sometimes its hard moving around in that city, you get stuck in certain parts that you already know.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:38pm
yeah that's quite a trek from SOMA to the inner Richmond--  I grew up here so the neighborhoods all kinda blend into each other, but that's too far to walk and a long bus ride

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:11am
Yeah, I used to walk everywhere, I miss all that. Living in the south is all about the auto, but at least you know there will be a massive parking lot with plenty of places to park when you reach your destination,  ...boy howdy. Ermm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 9:54pm
It is interesting to hear a topic of everybody. I am all interested in me even if it was not the topic of the meal. An area and the topic of the culture are good.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 9:56pm

Japan does not yet come in spring, too. However, I looked for lunch such as the spring food. However, the rice ball is about the same as always.

cod roe is in the rice ball. The seasoning is salt and a red pepper.

The salad using the seasonal food like spring. A bean sprout. A carrot. And tofu is chopped with oil after having fried it. And some field mustard should have a sharp taste.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 27 Feb 2012 at 9:58pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 3:51am
That looks good. Today's lunch for me will be homemade cole slaw (Chopped cabbage and carrots with dressing, salt, sugar and hot sweet mustard) plus baked beans (white beans cooked with molasses, brown sugar, honey, salt and BBQ sauce). These are sort of traditional dishes in the US south.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:49pm
I feel the traditional cooking that people of the Southern U.S. make somehow or other so that there is an original method. Including meat and a fish. The dish and the pie using the bean in particular looked good. By an investigation. There is the dish such as Baked beans in Japan, but it has miscellaneous feelings. And I discovered Granola, but Japanese Granola is almost an imitation. Japan does not have a custom to use convection microwave oven very much.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:00pm
I don't like microwaves, they ruin food texture. I always use a regular oven or small toaster oven, also the burners on the stove top too.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:09pm
Unfortunately, in Japan, a lot of products which must use microwaves are sold. It surely spoils a texture. Because a small grill is installed in the kitchen of Japan, I always use it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 8:44pm
Spring allergy season came early this year and it is really bad. I just bought a big bag of hot wasabi peas to help me breathe again.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 8:55pm
Because pollen comes flying in spring, in Japan, many people are troubled by the symptom. Eyes and a nose are always destroyed. I do not yet try wasabi, but intend to try it if it is effective. Is it known that wasabi is effective? Or by an original method?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:17pm
Anything hot works for me. I just had a hot potato with red pepper (ground chilis) and garlic salt, that worked pretty good.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:53pm
In Japan, dressing and seasoning are not substantial than U.S.A., but, only in at least sushi, soy sauce will play an active part.Big smile
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 3:03am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Today's lunch for me will be homemade cole slaw (Chopped cabbage and carrots with dressing, salt, sugar and hot sweet mustard) plus baked beans (white beans cooked with molasses, brown sugar, honey, salt and BBQ sauce). These are sort of traditional dishes in the US south.
brilliant--  from scratch, John?   I don't do slaw often enough (hard to commit to whacking-up a whole cabbage sometimes) and I still haven't perfected it yet.   I usually do a mustard/mayo/cream dressing with shots of tobasco, Worcestershire, and lemon.   I've heard if you leave the chopped cabbage in cheesecloth over night to drain, it gives it a better less watery texture.   But who has the foresight or time for that? LOL .    I know, people in the South do, and God bless you.   I've also noticed potato salad is no good unless you let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 9:34am
Yes, potato salad must sit for a while to be good, ..over night is the best. I must admit though, ever since they started making pre-cut cole slaw packages, I've quit cutting up my own cabbage. A whole head of cabbage makes for an ungodly amount of cole slaw, ha.
My cole slaw dressing this time was Nayonaise (substitute mayonaise) hot sweet mustard, poppy seed dressing, poppy seeds, celery salt, chopped onions, salt, powdered sugar, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, just keep pouring stuff on until it tastes good.

Edited by js - 05 Mar 2012 at 9:38am
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:01pm
Interesting slaw recipe though my wife can't have mustard and I don't like slaw sweetened.  I used to really not like cole slaw until I discovered you could fix sweet slaw with hot sauce. LOL 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:11pm
On the west coast slaw isn't sweet at all, it has more of a vinegar flavor, sweet slaw is a southern style. Some Asian cabbage and/or carrot salads are similar to southern style slaw.
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:11pm
^  I do love a southern sweet slaw (which is what they have at Popeyes)--  one nice substitute for mild sweetness is shredded or thin-sliced pears or apple, that way you don't need as much sugar or sweet mustard.   But, like Brian, I also really like mixing some Sriracha into slaw too.

Edited by Atavachron - 12 Mar 2012 at 10:02pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:38am
I wouldn't eat much at a KFC, but I do like their sweet slaw, it has a slight similarity to a Thai salad to me also.
The slight heat in my slaw comes from using sweet hot mustard, about a 1 to 3 ratio to mayonaise or fake eggless mayonaise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
  Share Topic