Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lets Do Lunch (around the world).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 12:46am
Re Kazu: yes the news of that subway attack was big news in the US. 
What a very cowardly and mean spirited way to go after people, very disturbing story, I wouldn't be too surprised if somebody in the US did that too though.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

By the way, the subway in Japan is such feeling.

16 years ago. The event that happened in the subway in Japan happened. The cult group in Japan put the liquid and the gas of the poison on the vehicle in the subway. The event is still continuing by the trial of Japan. The news might have been spread to foreign countries.

I had read Haruki Murokami's book based on this group's gas attack story in Tokyo's underground - mostly interviews with people who survived and how their lives changes after that.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 2:59am

Re John: The impression of the public peace changed into Japan a little due to this event. Japan might have been recognized that the public peace was good. However, a little brutal crime increased in Japan since this event.

Re Slava: It knew the book on Haruki Murakami was translated in various countries. Perhaps, I thought that the book that Slava had read was a book that was called an underground. It has divided the 1st and secondarily. I have not read it yet.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 3:58am
Yes, Haruki Murakami - "Andaguraundo"(1997).I like Murakami - have around 10 his books,as I know he is one of biggest jazz recordings collector in Japan Wink. I even saw his book fully dedicated to his jazz recordings collection in book store,didn't buy it that time (the language of translation wasn't the one I prefer to read books),but unfortunately never saw it again Unhappy
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I don't recall any fried chicken in SF, There were two BBQ chicken places in SF I liked. Brother in Laws on Divisedero, and oddly enough, the punkish club Zeitgeist.
There was one place in the Fillmore that probably had fried chicken (I can't remember the name) but I always got the catfish.

loved B-in-Ls, but sadly they were replaced by an inferior operation, right now the best place for 'Cue are the food trucks that are sprouting up around town
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 10:00pm

I prepared the noodle. However, only the image of nigiri is put here today because it was the same noodle as yesterday.

There is cod's roe in nigiri. The roe is seasoned by the salt and the red pepper.

nigiri
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 10:07pm
Roe is good, I used to know the Japanese name when I lived in San Francisco, but I can't remember anymore.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 10:28pm

Salmon's roe is called Ikura in Japanese. Ikura is often processed. Seasoning also. Ikura before being processed has another name.

Cod's roe is called Tarako.

By the way, when saying, "How much is it?", Japanese is said, "Is this Ikura?"

The meaning is different though it is the same pronunciation. LOL

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 4:49am
So when I normally break for lunch it's 12:30 at night over in Japan...

Speaking of tuna, do you know how US west coast bluefin got to be really popular over in Japan?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 6:13am
Japan is almost certainly importing the tuna from foreign countries. The tuna imported from the west coast in the United States is very high-level for the Japanese. A cheap tuna is sold in Japan compared it. It becomes a processed food like the canned food at the same time. The Japanese knows the taste of the tuna imported from the west coast to be a very delicious dish. There are sashimi and sushi as a dish of Japan. If tuna's part is a high-level part, the price is surely high unlike other parts.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 6:14am

Salmon's roe is called Ikura in Japanese. Ikura is often processed. Seasoning also. Ikura before being processed has another name.

Cod's roe is called Tarako.

By the way, when saying, "How much is it?", Japanese is said, "Is this Ikura?"

The meaning is different though it is the same pronunciation. LOL

I remember what it was called in San Francisco now: masago or maybe masagoa, something like that, and I believe it was salmon roe, but I may be wrong.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 7:20am

I investigated it a little because there were not so many shops of sushi of California in Japan. Perhaps, I think, the name is "Masago".

The specific roe that is called masago doesn't exist. Perhaps, I think it to be a name of the method concerning cooking.

However, the roe is certainly used for masago roll. Perhaps, I think it to be a roe of shishamo smelt. It is a roe that shines to the orange.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 7:27am
Yes, masago is orange, very tasty.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 7:38am
Yes, The roe of Flying Fish might be used according to the shop.

However, I also feel that masago is a delicious dish.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 7:53am
All this discussion (with picture) just pushed me to do it - I am eating sushi right now, not real ,but more fast food version you can get right to your home from restaurant at 4 USD but anyway Smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:44am

Japan is almost certainly importing the tuna from foreign countries. The tuna imported from the west coast in the United States is very high-level for the Japanese. A cheap tuna is sold in Japan compared it. It becomes a processed food like the canned food at the same time. The Japanese knows the taste of the tuna imported from the west coast to be a very delicious dish. There are sashimi and sushi as a dish of Japan. If tuna's part is a high-level part, the price is surely high unlike other parts.

It's not our fault God made them taste so good.  I love good raw tuna.  Practically a totally different creature than canned.

I was watching a documentary on the bluefin and as it turns out an entrepreneur came up with the idea converting cargo containers that were bringing export electronics and stuff to the US to refrigerator units so that they wouldn't be empty for the trip back and started shipping tuna.

http://current.com/shows/vanguard/93281119_sushi-to-the-slaughter-vanguard-trailer.htm

Edited by Slartibartfast - 21 Jul 2011 at 6:45am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 6:52am
Fresh tuna filet costs around 20-25 USD/kilogram here Unhappy
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:13pm

I was crazy about submitting the review of Indo/Raga about one year ago with PA. I often listen to the music of India since then. And, I am researching the section of Exotica and World Fusion with JMA now.

My interest swells and I often go to the shop of Indian food.

The atmosphere of the shop to which I went last night is put here today.

------
I first entered the shop and ordered the beer. The beer is "King Fisher Beer".
There are a flavor and refreshing like the fruit though the taste is a little thin.

The storekeeper and I are friends. He has carried snack to me free of charge at once. Dish thinly extended by using powder of something perhaps. Some beans. Hot sauce.

Because I had already drunk the beer, it was not so hungry. Next, it is "Tandoori gobi" that I ordered.
The cauliflower is seasoning of the hot sauce made from the spice and the yogurt.

I asked the storekeeper. I thought that it wanted the sake suitable for the tandoori gobi. The storekeeper recommended me rum. The name is "McDowell's"
The beer and rum that I drank are all from India.

The storekeeper has carried the cake to me free of charge again. Very sweet cake. There is a flavor like the vanilla, too. The texture is interesting.

Interior of shop

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:28pm
Yeah, I like Indian food and Kingfish beer too, but tonight I am having Japanese takeout. I have not had a day off in a long time so no cooking for me tonight.
The takeout is:
Tekka nigiri
california roll (they forgot my masago)
seaweed and cucumber salad

People in Memphis are kind of naive so I guess they expect to get sushi at a Chinese restaurant, so a lot of Chinese Restaurants here have sushi LOL   ..so I just walked across the street and got some pretty good sushi from the Chinese restaurant.

You would never see a Chinese restaurant with sushi in San Francisco.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:36pm

It is stories of a most interesting character. LOL
It was felt that there were not so many borders for the gastronomic culture.

However, I think the culture of the country for seasoning and cooking to be introduced. Excluding a real dish.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic