JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:38pm
My flatmate is called James Brown, and he is cooler than cool
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:24pm
I got the JB's anthology album, and it's exactly what i was looking for. 2 1/2 hours of constant FUNK, never letting up, and it never gets old. And James Brown himself is on quite a few of the tracks. I can't stop listening to it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:30pm
Sounds good, The JBs had something that most bands will never have no matter how much they practice, that was just the right bunch of guys at the right time.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:38pm
Yea they really tear the sheet off of 'em. Wink

The only other funk band I can listen to this much (not counting JB himself), is Lettuce, and they only have 2 albums, plus one live album.

Looking back on my funk collection without the JB album, it feels incomplete. But now I have it so everything is right!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:15pm
Some day you should check out The Meters "Look-Ka Py Py", not the same feel as the JBs, The Meters are a little more syncopated, but its the other band that I would rate similar in talent. "Look -Ka Py Py" is probably one of their best albums.
I have a review up for it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 5:35pm
I'll check it out. I have their album "Fire On The Bayou" and it's pretty good.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 5:53pm
Their instrumental music is different from their vocal music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic