JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:22pm
A witness! A witness!

James Brown is the ultimate in funk and jazz-related funk. This man is responsible for many of the fusion artists' output in the 70s and beyond. I'm not the biggest expert on his pre-68 stuff, before he went full-funk, but it's just as good.

But I'm a huge fan of his material from '68-'77 or so, his music just runs through my body, not to mention makes me laugh sometimes (funk fans know what I'm talking about). I love how his music is all attitude, and his lyrics really resonate to me, he was all about getting yourself up off your seat and DOIN' SOMETHIN' and being proud of yourself (though I'll admit, I usually look over my shoulder when I'm singing, "I'm Black and I'm Proud" since I'm pretty white) LOL

I know there's fans here based on the What Are You Listening To thread? I think I started a thread over at PA, and there weren't too many replies.

"UUUUHHHHHHHHGH!!!!!"

Edited by darkshade - 14 Jul 2011 at 4:23pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:27pm
Some of my favorite albums

Others include - "Hell", "Sex Machine Live", and "Motherlode". His "20 Greatest Hits" album is also really good, and I don't usually prefer greatest hits albums.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:15pm

I think that "Get On The Good Foot" is a very good album. I thought that there was an impression like the concept album for me for "Hell". Is it suitable?

And, I listened to the tune of JBs at the same time as listening to the album of some JB. I still wait because the form of the album was a content like V.A though I wanted to add the album to the site.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:28pm

In addition,John had told to us a very wonderful album "It' s A Mother" before. Do you remember it?

I always still recalled it though I had not checked the album yet.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:26pm
James Brown is one of my very favorites, especially that period in the early 70s when he had Stubblefield on drums, Jimmy Nolan on guitar, Bootsy on bass and Maceo on horn.
That style of funk can not be re-created by anyone, though many have tried.

On a humorous note, I also like Eddie Murphy's impressions too, ha.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:29pm
Lowdown Popcorn by the JBs, beautiful guitar riff, another reason Nolan is the best.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:31pm
'Same Beat' by the JBs, this is a fun video, check the end when the video seems to sync with these kids from the 50s dancing to old rock-n-roll.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:36pm
Re the thread title, Public Enemy said "Can't I get any witness", ha ha.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:40pm
Re something Mike said earlier, when James invented his hard funk sound, he left his previous music behind as if it was from an earlier century. The shift in what he was doing with rhythm and his entire approach to music  was as different as night and day.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:43pm
Wonderful video. No one can certainly mimic this atmosphere.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

J.B. says it during "It's A New Day". Is he saying Can or Can't?
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:37pm
I have a lot of respect for J.B., although not necessarily a fan of his raw, hard funk, and man I've tried.

Still, he's the man. Cool
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:43pm
OK, the other two were nice, but here is the motherlode:
"Give it up or turn it Loose"
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

J.B. says it during "It's A New Day". Is he saying Can or Can't?
Have you ever seen the Edde Murphy skit where he is imitating the horn players discussion .. "can you understand what he is sayin man .. no way, but whatever he says, your supposed to shout out 'Yeah!'  
ha ha
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:08pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:39pm
Re thread title, yeah James used to say "Can I get a witness" its a popular expression with pentacostal preachers.
Public Enemy just had fun with it and made it clumsy on purpose: "can't I get any witness"
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:37am
LOL That Eddie Murphy skit was hilarious, I don't think Ive ever seen that. Everything he said was so true.

I checked out some J.B.s and I already ordered the Funky Good Time album, it's exactly what Ive been looking for.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:56pm
JB was one of the most original musical artists ever and the man stuck to his guns when it came to being exactly who he was.  I'm still not sure he ever got the recognition that he deserves.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:04pm
The idea of having the bass become a strong and separate melodic voice comes a lot from him and his bassist Bootsie, that idea has changed almost any genre of music you can think of.

Edited by js - 15 Jul 2011 at 5:06pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:06pm
I have been collecting his Singles series that Hipo Select have been issuing for a few years now. Love him. "Mr James Brown".Thumbs Up
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic