JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James Brown Appreciation - Can I Get A Witness?
    Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 5:53pm
Their instrumental music is different from their vocal music.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 5:35pm
I'll check it out. I have their album "Fire On The Bayou" and it's pretty good.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:15pm
Some day you should check out The Meters "Look-Ka Py Py", not the same feel as the JBs, The Meters are a little more syncopated, but its the other band that I would rate similar in talent. "Look -Ka Py Py" is probably one of their best albums.
I have a review up for it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:38pm
Yea they really tear the sheet off of 'em. Wink

The only other funk band I can listen to this much (not counting JB himself), is Lettuce, and they only have 2 albums, plus one live album.

Looking back on my funk collection without the JB album, it feels incomplete. But now I have it so everything is right!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:30pm
Sounds good, The JBs had something that most bands will never have no matter how much they practice, that was just the right bunch of guys at the right time.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 2:24pm
I got the JB's anthology album, and it's exactly what i was looking for. 2 1/2 hours of constant FUNK, never letting up, and it never gets old. And James Brown himself is on quite a few of the tracks. I can't stop listening to it.
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:38pm
My flatmate is called James Brown, and he is cooler than cool
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:06pm
I have been collecting his Singles series that Hipo Select have been issuing for a few years now. Love him. "Mr James Brown".Thumbs Up
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:04pm
The idea of having the bass become a strong and separate melodic voice comes a lot from him and his bassist Bootsie, that idea has changed almost any genre of music you can think of.

Edited by js - 15 Jul 2011 at 5:06pm
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:56pm
JB was one of the most original musical artists ever and the man stuck to his guns when it came to being exactly who he was.  I'm still not sure he ever got the recognition that he deserves.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:37am
LOL That Eddie Murphy skit was hilarious, I don't think Ive ever seen that. Everything he said was so true.

I checked out some J.B.s and I already ordered the Funky Good Time album, it's exactly what Ive been looking for.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:39pm
Re thread title, yeah James used to say "Can I get a witness" its a popular expression with pentacostal preachers.
Public Enemy just had fun with it and made it clumsy on purpose: "can't I get any witness"
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:08pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Re the thread title, Public Enemy said "Can't I get any witness", ha ha.

J.B. says it during "It's A New Day". Is he saying Can or Can't?
Have you ever seen the Edde Murphy skit where he is imitating the horn players discussion .. "can you understand what he is sayin man .. no way, but whatever he says, your supposed to shout out 'Yeah!'  
ha ha
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:43pm
OK, the other two were nice, but here is the motherlode:
"Give it up or turn it Loose"
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:37pm
I have a lot of respect for J.B., although not necessarily a fan of his raw, hard funk, and man I've tried.

Still, he's the man. Cool
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

J.B. says it during "It's A New Day". Is he saying Can or Can't?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:43pm
Wonderful video. No one can certainly mimic this atmosphere.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:40pm
Re something Mike said earlier, when James invented his hard funk sound, he left his previous music behind as if it was from an earlier century. The shift in what he was doing with rhythm and his entire approach to music  was as different as night and day.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic