JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just me
    Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:12pm
After some prompting over at Prog Archives, I've joined JMA.

My first jazz purchase was Dave Brubeck's Carnegie Hall recording (Volume 2 no less), and then McLaughlin's Extrapolation  - fortunately I was working Saturdays in record shop where these albums were found in sales dumper bins - followed by Tony Williams Lifetime Turn It Over (after hearing it on Radio Luxembourg). I tried to go deep,  purchasing volume one of Mike Westbrook's Marching Song in '69  but got my money back soon after -  its has taken me 35 years to get into that album, a form of late 60's avant British jazz that was showing all the signs of not being derivative of American jazz. And then my early exposure to Indo-jazz fusion  by the double quintets of John  Mayer /Joe Harriott.  (I will admit I saw the Temperance Seven around this time  while increasingly cringing at the music of Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk). During the late 60's  got myself into delta blues, especially Son House and Big Joe Williams (who the UK  jazz DJs  always announced as a "blues shouter") . The attraction of Nice (which Nice tune can you hear John Surman?) and then Soft Machine fusing rock with jazz and then hearing the brass rock of Electric Flag, followed by BST and then Chicago, fulfilled the then unknown desire for this hybrid.  Indeed this music exposure allowed me to follow Machine into avant garde fusion, although with the exception of Bundles I found them increasing disappearing up their own backsides musically.  Then with Bitches Brew and Inner Mounting Flame  I was completely hooked.

I am always seeking out something new and exciting and hence sites like this provide that sort of message board.

I have presented a radio show on Loughborough Campus Radio for approximately 30 years originally called Jazz Ffollies and now called The Alternative Alternative Show, which features at least 40% jazz related music each show - which probably makes me the oldest DJ on student radio.  (BTW I try to model my presentation style between the BBC's late Peter Clayton and John Peel). I have compile the monthly UK student jazz chart for Jazzwise magazine for nearly ten years - in part based on listeners' feed back. I'm proud to say I wrote the liner notes for my axe hero Allan Holdsworth's album 16 Men of Tain, You'll find me acknowledged on a few other albums. I did a tiny bit of background research for Graham Bennett, as well as being one of the proof-readers, for his Soft Machine biography Out-Bloody-Rageous - I nailed  the fact that Bill Oddie was the origin of Machine's Stanley Stamp's Gibbon Catalogue title (I like trivia). You'll find a few of my photographs around the place - Gary Husband snafued one for his opening web page although my favourite is one of Randy Brecker taken at the same rehearsals.

And finally I'm one of the jazz rock fusion collaborators at Prog Archives.

What  I am currently listening to:
(the forthcoming) The New Universe Music Festival 2010 recording issued by Abstract Logix - lots of lovely Indo-jazz fusion
Cheiro da Vida's 1988 album - excellent Brazilian jazz fusion
Metalwood's first album - nice mix of jazz fusion and post-bop.

Enough and no future massive ego-display, I promise.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

After some prompting over at Prog Archives, I've joined JMA.

Approve

Welcome.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:42pm
Welcome aboard Dick, nice review too.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:30am
Hey Dick...

You'll no doubt be a valuable help on the forums with your near-encyclopedian knowledge.

Welcome aboard Hug

Edited by Sean Trane - 13 Jul 2011 at 3:59am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:54am
Be welcome, Dick! Cool
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:07pm
Welcome to this side of town Thumbs Up
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:22pm
Reminds me we need to keep plugging this site on PA.  I dropped by briefly when it started and forgot about it until someone mentioned it again a couple of months or so later.  There are still people there that may not be aware.

Good to have you here.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 13 Jul 2011 at 7:23pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:24pm
I actually think its better to plug the site on the open internet. I run ads different places musicians are known to hang out.
We have gotten some jazz fans from the rock site, but I think the people who are the biggest jazz fans are to be found elsewhere.
Needless to say though, plugging the site anywhere isn't bad. 
Me personally, I'd like to see more jazz fans here that get into older jazz and diversify our coverage a bit.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I actually think its better to plug the site on the open internet. I run ads different places musicians are known to hang out.
We have gotten some jazz fans from the rock site, but I think the people who are the biggest jazz fans are to be found elsewhere.
Needless to say though, plugging the site anywhere isn't bad. 
Me personally, I'd like to see more jazz fans here that get into older jazz and diversify our coverage a bit.

Hey, apparently we can agree on something, John! But I'm not sure AAJ will appreciate out banner.

Yes, of course... I agree that the balance is quite off... but finding 20's & 30's jazz-real fans will probably be difficult... Most of them are probably six-feet under or in retirement homes, and I'm not sure they've been on the net... OK, I'm semi-joking, here... but I'm not too optimistic on this issue
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 12:17pm
^ there is some truth to that

I know there are fans of jazz from the mid-40s onwards, and I'm sure there are fans of swing (but in my experience, they only like swing, and not other jazz as well). However, I can't say much about how many fans are out there online who enjoy 20s and 30s jazz enough to discuss it.

But it shouldn't be hard to find more fans of modern jazz from the 50s and 60s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic