Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Jazz Chrysalis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Jazz Chrysalis
    Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:04pm
How did, or how do you think, Jazz developed.  Not talking first or most important artists or records, but the conditions and process under which musicians starting playing what became 'jazz'.  Was it inevitable?  Did social or economic factors play a role or simply musical ones?  Was improvisation a rebellious breaking away from traditional music or a quiet movement toward deeper self-expression; and was improv, as is most often professed, the deciding factor or was some other motivation involved?

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:10pm
Basically it grew out of marching bands in New Orleans who would accompany funerals, marches etc. The marches were so long and the tunes so repititious that the horn players would start to improvise, to relieve boreedom and probably just came natural after a while.
Later when jazz musicians moved north, they didn't march but sat and played, the rest is history.
All the same, improv was in music way before jazz.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:15pm
Interesting, I didn't know about marching band connection.  Well I guess that answers my question .. thank you John for ending this thread with one fell swoop of your musicalogical prowess ..  goodnight folks !    LOL  Violin

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:24pm
Sorry Embarrassed   ...but its in all the jazz history books. Geek
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:35pm
fair enough--  but how about some independent speculation, I mean there must be a little more to it .. make something up if you have to (you know, improvise Cool )

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:42pm
Probably the most interesting speculation and discussion/arguments in jazz comes from how different genres develope, for instance take jazz rock or fusion.
Did somebody invent it, no way.
On the jazz side you have Larry Coryell, Tony Williams, Miles etc 
On the rock side you have Cream and Hendrix
In Britian you have people in between like McLaughlin, Soft Machine Brian Auger etc

I'm sure there are people who will argue about who was the first jazz rocker, or the first be-bopper etc and I am sure soeone would point out who is missing from the above mentioned names.

Edited by js - 09 Jul 2011 at 10:44pm
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:56pm
Well I certainly agree improvisation has always been a big part of all music, but that being the case, then what would distinguish the development of jazz as jazz (other than an American art form) ?

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:05pm
It comes back to the marching horn bands in New Orleans at the turn of the century. they were playing rags and military marches and improvising on them in a sort of swing style. 
When those musicians moved north what we now call dixieland developed, basically similar to original new orleans jazz but now they are seated so you could include a drum set and a piano player and replace the tuba with a string bass. From there you get jazz.
I'm sure other types of improvisation came in as things rolled along, gypsy music for instance or later Indian music.

Edited by js - 09 Jul 2011 at 11:07pm
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:23pm
and let's not forget smack
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 11:27pm
Smack?     ..oh yeah, smack.  Thats probably how you got bop, cool, hard bop, post bop, avant-garde and lots of fusion too, basically a lot of modern jazz. Possibly part of the nu jazz scene too, I don't know.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 1:36am
One of the explanations for improvisation I've heard is that many musicians didn't know to read notes so that they were improvising
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 1:44am
QUOTE=Atavachron]Well I certainly agree improvisation has always been a big part of all music, but that being the case, then what would distinguish the development of jazz as jazz (other than an American art form) ?

[/QUOTE]

sorry to barge in in your conversation, but generally improvisation is not part of classical music (not conting the contemporary and

Not sure I'm right about this, but outside Indian music, I don't think improvisation was common in music at all... It seems that this was a X Xth C thing

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Smack?     ..oh yeah, smack.  Thats probably how you got bop, cool, hard bop, post bop, avant-garde and lots of fusion too, basically a lot of modern jazz. Possibly part of the nu jazz scene too, I don't know.

Don't think getting smashed out of your skull was reserved to jazz (and later to rock)

I understand that Chopin and the Russian composers were not exactly sober and straight  (and Mozart was getting stoned on O2 + N2)

the Impressionist painters used to soar on all types of sustances, most notably on absynth

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 2:07am
barge in all you want Hugues, that's what the thread's here for, the more the merrier .. and yes musicians have been getting bombed for centuries god bless 'em
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:55pm
New Orleans was a real pot pourri with plenty of influences , Not only did we have Afro American with the blues influence but French with Cajun, in those times it was more formal and real French and even Cuba had influence but in the 19th century the music was very formal and geared towards Classical if anything. You also had our stuff as well with the old popular songs and folk and the lot got mixed gradually to become Jazz. Anyway thats my theory with no book or net, just me came up with that.

I would have loved to have the wagons the bands that they all piled on to and go around town playing. They do it on trucks now, well Kermit Ruffins still does. Would have also loveed to have seen the old Dancehalls or bars where they played. I can tell you one thing, they did not sit around politely clapping like today which I find pretentious personally, if people start jumping around and yellin' for the band watch the band play better and the night will be great fun.Beer Isn't that was Jazz is all about or music for that matter.  Buddy Bolden was the man they all said that his trumpet rang around New Orleans, bloody sad by the time they recorded him he had lost his teeth Confused Not much chop for a trumpet....no teeth

Edited by Matt - 10 Jul 2011 at 6:56pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:06pm
Yep, jazz was not recorded until 1927, after it had already been around for 30 to 40 years. The earliest recordings were not by the innovators but copycats. It took awhile before they got the real jazzmen in the studio.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:16pm

When I had received the lesson of the drum before, the teacher said to me. It was said that the drum and fife band that performed the march to pull military forces was at the head. Is it correct though it was said it was very dangerous because the drum and fife band doesn't have arms?

It is that people actually listen live and it danced when the band that plays jazz holds the party at home or that I memorized it. It is a part of not the hall but familiar music. It was memorized I to was in the process of the development of jazz.

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Yep, jazz was not recorded until 1927, after it had already been around for 30 to 40 years. The earliest recordings were not by the innovators but copycats. It took awhile before they got the real jazzmen in the studio.
Hey John, they would have been damn good, no amplification they had to be able to play loud. When I see a gig  Jazz or Latin mainly the good trumpet players walk past the mic and play with just the horn on its own. CoolCoolCoolCoolCool
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:24pm
Jazz is best in a small club and no amps, especially avant-garde and/or larger ensembles.
I guess you've heard Buddy Rich's famous diatribes against his players who would move to close to the mic, ouch.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:29pm
Speaking of audience participation, my friend had this live Parker record from way back and they all must be loaded and are playing everything at break neck speed and people are yelling with the music. Very insane atmosphere, like a really good party.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:30pm
Lighting Techs gear pre 1900

Wink
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic