JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your parent's musical preferrences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What did they listen to and made you listen to when you were a kid?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [15.38%]
8 [30.77%]
1 [3.85%]
3 [11.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [26.92%]
1 [3.85%]
2 [7.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 7:26pm

I had some experiences as an entrance where it knew music. When I was a grade-schooler, I almost did it.

Japan's animation is very active. I was personally collecting those theme songs. However, my parents taught me another genre.

My mother liked film music. Or, Adamo and The Lettermen were taught me. My father taught me Perez Prado. Because I was a grade-schooler, all music was not able to be understood.

However, I willingly listened to the radio. Or, there was always BGM if shopping at the department store.

The interest in music was formed to me by these experiences.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:06am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Exclusively classical. I would have put traditional folk in the poll, too

Third optionWink

If it said only "Folk", I would have asked what kind of folk do you have in mind, but having it as "Folk / Country", it really looks like it's referring to the modern genres.

Yeah, that trad folk thought hit my mind as well at the time of making the poll, but then I would've had to separate it from 60's  folk(-rock) and the country & C-W domain as well ... I wanted to keep it simple (>> not sure I manged from your reaction, thoughTongue)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Finnish schlagers.

Examples.

k
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:00pm
Here's some cassette tapes I can remember being played on family road trips:
Genesis - We Can't Dance
Billy Joel - River of Dreams
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell II
Forrest Gump - The Original Soundtrack
Van Morrison - Greatest Hits
Sting - Nothing Like The Sun
UB40 - Promises and Lies
Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge
and some album from The Nylons

Edited by Stooge - 29 Jun 2011 at 3:11pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 3:39pm
My Mom was a professional opera singer but had to quit when she started having kids. When they were young, her and Dad enjoyed modern (for their time) Russian composers like Shostakovitch and Prokofiev.
When the kids came along they didn't have much time for music anymore. 
They preferred that us kids didn't play rock or soul music out loud (headphones only), so I would play their scratchy old classical albums sometimes.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 8:27pm
My dad has always been "my musical pillar" where I founded my musical taste. When I was younger he played much more "rock" than now, say Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, CSN&Y, Joni Mitchell, ZAPPA, those were some of his favorites, and still are when it comes to rock. 
But besides that, he played classical/opera and jazz, so yeah, I had most genres covered up, although not in the wideness that I would later discover on my own and with my older bro. Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, Metheny and Weather Report being played by him mainly from jazz, plus some lighter stuff as well as a bit of bossa nova. 

From my mom, I got to know the poppier stuff, but she also enjoys classical and jazz, whenever there's nothing "noisy" hehe.

Edited by Abraxas - 29 Jun 2011 at 8:28pm
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 9:23pm
Jazz daily; John Lewis, Bill Evans, Art Tatum, and often vocalists too.. my Mom never 'made' me listen to anything, it was just there to be taken in.  She also appreciated everyone from Stevie Wonder to Philip Glass.

You rock Mom !   BeerHeart

andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:48pm
Jazz actually. That's how I got into it LOL
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 9:31am
My dad sometimes listens to the oldies station and my mom country, but they aren't really into music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:45am
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

My dad sometimes listens to the oldies station and my mom country, but they aren't really into music.

That must be rather tough, because I believe parents into music is giving their kids a cultural edge

On the other hand, having parents that are not into it won't try to influence you in the way they please....

For ex: my parents (like many bourgeois or middle class parents in Belgium) kind of hid away the rock and rock'n roll from us, for plenty of conservative reasons (despite my parents not being conservatives back then).... It's when I went over to Canada at the age 10 that rock hit me flat-faced... I dived into it head first and sort of drop whatever else what my parents were trying to induce into my brains.... and that fueled many dispute and even provoked major arguments.... things went relatively smoother with my younger brothers, but because my experiebnce paved the way for them and had broken my parents into being more tolerant.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuestionableScum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 6:27pm
My Dad is a huge rock fan, predominantly prog rock and art rock. And has actually gotten into many modern art rock and prog bands I listen to. Although he does not really get classical, and does not get jazz at all. He does have a few fusion records that lean more towards rock and blues though. 

My mom does not really listen to anything in particular, but rather is okay with anything as long as isn't extreme metal or avante-garde music of some form. 
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 7:23pm
My parents listened mainly to traditional samba meaning that later they started listening to bossa nova too. Also they had a reasonable collection of romantic, jazz-inspirated songs/albums (Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Vaughan, etc). 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

My parents listened mainly to traditional samba meaning that later they started listening to bossa nova too. Also they had a reasonable collection of romantic, jazz-inspirated songs/albums (Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Vaughan, etc). 
Did your parents like the new Bossa sound, or did they see it as a watered down commercial sell-out?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:11am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Did your parents like the new Bossa sound, or did they see it as a watered down commercial sell-out?
I suppose that you mean by the "new" bossa, once outsiders (like Stan Getz and others) got into the groove???

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 3:13am
Even before the outsiders became involved, Bossa was a simplification of Samba. I was just curious if his parents were not fond of all that at first.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 6:55am
To Sean & js: I meant the original bossa nova, from late 50s and early 60s. Anyway, I think they liked Stan Getz, Sergio Mendes, Eumir Deodato and many artists that came after the first wave. Smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 9:55am
What I meant though, did they prefer the old samba to the Bossa Nova.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 3:52pm
They did indeed! Smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 9:46pm
hey Guigo !

Atkingani View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

hey Guigo !

Hi David! Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic