JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your parent's musical preferrences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What did they listen to and made you listen to when you were a kid?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [15.38%]
8 [30.77%]
1 [3.85%]
3 [11.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [26.92%]
1 [3.85%]
2 [7.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your parent's musical preferrences
    Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 3:05am
One of the deciding factors in one's  music tastes (IMHO), whether it will be positively or negatively influence you in your musical endeavours....

I know only one choice might be a bit too few, but choose the main one

if you think i should open up the poll to multiple choice, I can always correct it Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - 26 Jun 2011 at 3:18am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:41am
Dad was the inspirer, with his cassettes of prog, classic rock, jazz & fusion or his classic vinyls. Mom is interested enough to come to concerts of mine or which sound most interesting, plus to catch some on TV. Neither listen to music on a daily basis, not even recreationally.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:02am
Finnish schlagers.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Finnish schlagers.

Examples.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 7:31am
Exclusively classical. I would have put traditional folk in the poll, too. 
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 10:09am
Unfortunately Radio
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 10:30am
I voted whatever was on the radio. My parents had their favorite songs but were not that serious about it. My dad did enjoy the oldies stations that used to be around here, so he put that on a lot.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:36pm
Beatles.
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:58pm
voted for jazz but it was usually more like Jazz related Ray Charles, Nat King Cole being their favorites, also some more bluesy stuff like BB King, Muddy Waters, Bonnie Riatt. Also crooners like Sinatra, Bing Crosbey or any rat pack stuff as well as Harry Conick Jr. My dad always liked the lighter side of 70s fusion as well as he had a love for jazz trumpet players from every era but my mom never let him play it with her around. Also The Beatles.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 3:53pm
My dad listens to rock music, mostly classic rock (the who, the stones, etc) while my mom doesn't seem to have strong musical preferrences, usually only listening to the radio (which happens to be the classic rock station being thats the one my dad likes). Though she does like the old country and western stuff that my grandpa used to listen to when she was a kid.

So, I'll vote for rock.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Exclusively classical. I would have put traditional folk in the poll, too

Third optionWink

My mother was into music hall (Chevalier, Piaf and Brel) and classical, athough she listened to the pop stations

My father was heavily into jazz (my choice on this poll) until I'd say 1969, and thec arrioval of Bitches Brew... I think that fiinished to demoralize him and he definitely turned to classical
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:18pm
Easy listening but Jazz and Country were also on the agenda.......Dean Martin. Frank Sinatra,Ray Charles, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, Jerry Vale, oooooohhhhhhh yeah Mario Lanza Wink LOL and so on. My mum was the one, she used to pinch my Country albums, found two records of mine after she died, LOL 
Matt
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 4:47pm
Since my folks were pre-baby boomers their tastes were rather basic.  Mom wasn't a fan of much music at all unless it was sung in church but my dad loved cowboy music.  Not C&W so much because they sang about honky tonks, drinking and cheating, etc.  Cowboy music was Roy Rogers and Gene Autry kind of stuff about being out on the open range with your horse under the stars so that's what he tuned in when it was just me and him in the truck or car back in the 50s.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:09pm
These days, my dad listens mainly to bluesy rock artists and bluegrass bands.  He listened to a bigger variety of rock music and jazz fusion when he was younger (teens through his 30s).  My mom rarely listens to music, but she often sings pop and Motown tunes around the house.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Easy listening but Jazz and Country were also on the agenda.......Dean Martin. Frank Sinatra,Ray Charles, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdinck, Jerry Vale, oooooohhhhhhh yeah Mario Lanza Wink LOL and so on. My mum was the one, she used to pinch my Country albums, found two records of mine after she died, LOL 
You know who I forgot to mention Shocked Roy Orbison and Gene Pitney
Matt
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 5:16pm
Thinking the poll question over, when I was younger I'd listen to children's music, then radio/rock music.  I can remember my dad always listening to records on his headphones when I was playing with my siblings in the basement.  Occasionally, he'd put the headphones on our ears.  He'd often listen to ELO, Herbie Hancock, and a wide range of 70s rock artists.
UMUR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:52am
Nothing absolutely nothing. I donīt recall listening to music with my parents ever. The radio was on sometimes but we never talked about the music. I later discovered my parentīs album and single collections and found out that my mum loved Hermit Hermits and my dad loved The Kinks, but again they never really listened to the music with me. Jazz was a complete no no in my house. My parents canīt stand the sound of jazz unless itīs of the most watered down model. The rest sounds like pling plond to their ears. They are certainly not responsible for me being interesting in experimental/ progressive/ adventurous music (among other things) thatīs for sure.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 5:04am
My Grandma had serious vinyl collection (still 78 RPM vinyl) from 60-70s, but all - easy listening,a bit of folk and Gypsy romances. Being a child, I liked to listen them all few times per year,usually during New Year day and some other eves.

Parents never were too  much interested in music but sometimes went to see some popular concerts . Watching concerts on TV during eves was strong tradition though. In fact all the music I heard till my teens was mostly easy-listening.

Edited by snobb - 27 Jun 2011 at 7:08am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 7:04am
99% classical
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Exclusively classical. I would have put traditional folk in the poll, too

Third optionWink

If it said only "Folk", I would have asked what kind of folk do you have in mind, but having it as "Folk / Country", it really looks like it's referring to the modern genres.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic