Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of a jazz consumer are you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of a jazz consumer are you?
    Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 11:43am
Are you a conservative listener sticking to a few 'proved' names/genres or are you a curious listener testing all the time new artists or genres?
Looking at the  'Suggest new bands/artists' topic I can see an average of 6-7 views per new artist suggested which is pretty low considering that 1st view is always that of the topic writer and at least one other belongs to the forum collaborator who evaluates the suggestions-that leaves us with 4-5 views per topic which denotes either a very low curiosity or an encyclopedic knowledge of the jazz artists.
Myself, I am curious to discover new artists and check most of the unknown names.If there is a video embedded I usually listen to it, if links are provided I try them only if my curiosity is aroused
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:11pm
I am curious about any artist who is new to me from all the various decades of jazz from the 1920s till today.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:12pm
I've gone from close-minded, stickin-with-favorites & conservative to consuming a lot.

I wouldn't consider the "SNB/A" section a guide to new stuff, I mostly see its functionality in picking up bands and adding them to the database. I don't listen to much of those samples, I have to admit.
Seeing some albums being reviewed, especially from the 60s-70s, got me interested. Otherwise, I'm sticking to my agenda, even now.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:17pm
I got into jazz from this order

Metal > Prog rock/metal > Jazz-rock/fusion > Jazz

So it took a while to fully get into the genre for me. Once I did I was into getting the best of the best, and as much as possible.

As a consumer of jazz, Ive calmed down since 2009, as I acquired a LOT of jazz, and also was getting back into rock-related music. The rate I get new jazz albums is VERY low these days, but I still do, as I got the new Bela Fleck and the Flecktones album yesterday, and am ordering the new Hiromi album soon.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 4:19pm
Most of my collection consists of stuff that was new over the past 3 decades or so.  Not a lot there from the more classic era, which I appreciate but my collection is very much a product of my times.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 8:26pm
I have my favourites in all genres pretty much. I listen to new music but it has to be something I am interested in. More to do with time I suppose but there are so many good ones I already have and I have to play them as well.Head on wall
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 8:34pm
Exotica and World Fusion are always in the high rank for me. The interest moves by feelings though it always listens to Pop Jazz.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 2:48am
I tend to be a bit selective about what's coming out nowadays, but it's a trait I have in all types of music styles from the 80's onwards. Generally I tend to be quite open from 67 to 73 and easily open up to anything not overly commercial from 59 to 80 (roughly)...
Outside that time bracket, I'm less curious or sometimes even wary (not so much for Prog in the broad sense, though)... partly because of my aprioris (hey who hasn't got any?) about pre 55 music ... but also my general wariness towards post 70's productions.

this also varies from what genre of music it is: I will say that if it's afro-cuban jazz, neo-prog, many forms of metal, indie/alternative rock, etc...I'm much less interested and not likely to open up a thread to listen to the samples, by lack of curiosity, but mainly lack of time....

I wouldn't call it close-mindedness, though.... but really a lack of time.... I'm always a few months behind in my music discovery plans (not that I waste time in making such a plan), but I carry around a dozen of post-its filled with stuff I have to check out (lists long enough to last weeks and months)

Soooooo I really don't have time to devote to many "chancey" (will i like it?) samples from the suggestion

sooooo basically I'd say that my self-built future investigations program from my private initiative searches keep me busy for 250% of the time that I can devote to music (and that's between 6 hours per weekday to 4 hours per weekend days) and sometimes even interfere with other sides of my life, that I don't need suggestions... I wouldn't say that unsollicited suggestions is the lazst thing I need of course, but the bucket is filled and overflowing already without these suggestions. Wink

Sooo please, if I don't respond to these adding suggestions (but then again few people respond to mine outside the Admins), it's not because I don't care, but I'm already too busy with my own suggestionsEmbarrassedLOL

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 2:51am
^^^^

Geeeeez, that's like a confessionEmbarrassed

I get wordy sometimes, don't I?? LOL
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 1:27pm
a tad, but you usually have interesting things to say Wink
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 2:44pm
I realize I answered the thread question not quite correctly

When I am looking for jazz, I almost always am looking for fusion artists first, to see what I'm missing. As much as I enjoy other forms of jazz, fusion/rock/funk-jazz sub genres have always been my favorites.

For non-fusion jazz, I go for anything from 1955-1975. 60's jazz is probably my favorite. I have some older stuff, but only about 1 or 2 albums by guys like Bird, Dizzy, Monk, etc...

For modern jazz, I'm always wary, as it depends on who it is and what kind of jazz album it is. I usually try to preview anything that came out between 1980-1999, unless it's an artist I am already familiar with, or I know they experiment (MM&W for example)

2000s fusion and jazz is much more pleasant to my ears, and I generally dont worry about previewing it as I have rarely been disappointed with a post-2000 jazz album (though it's happened)
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 3:45pm
I've said this before on here, my jazz collection/knowledge is rather disappointing and slim. The reason I don't post in many rec threads is simply because I don't know anything about whomever to give recommendations. I've certainly gotten a few from those types of threads but thats about it.

As for what types of jazz I go for...as for now I'm mostly trying to get the classics. Hell, I just got A Love Supreme in April! Got most of my Miles collection this year as well. But, I don't think I favor/avoid any particular era at this point. I would love to get more early jazz but finding it is a bit difficult. I also have strange ears and the sound quality of the recording is important for me. Case in point...I have Coleman's The Shape Of Jazz To Come and my CD doesn't sound the greatest...kinda muffled with very little low end. I'm sure there were many recording limitations back in those days so nothing against the artist of course, it just diminishes my enjoyment. (Also money is an omnipresent factor and sadly there have been times where jazz has been pushed to the back burner for other things.)

As for more modern stuff...I have very litte, mostly because I'm trying to focus on the older/classic stuff at this point. 98% of the modern jazz I have is artists who have been around since the 60s/70s/etc and are still around now-a-days (brotzmann, metheny for example). I think the only "new" band I have cds from is Medeski Martin & Wood, and I can't even remember how I discovered them. Then there are of course subgenres I don't know...like Third Stream which I hadn't heard of prior to joining this site (Embarrassed). So most of the subs I'm ignoring I'm ignorant about.

That said, all that jazz-related stuff I don't really have interest in, mostly because what it's mixed with. I have no interest in pop or r&b or any of that stuff. So I will avoid that whole nest of bees. So, in short, I guess I prefer the bigger stuff like Bop/post-bop/etc, big band, and fusion, but I'm not really against any of the jazz subs or time periods, just have to focus my attention at certain points. I also like avant/free music so thats another ssection of jazz I quite enjoy highly, probably more than the "straight" stuff admittely.

And hopefully as this site grows we will get more and more reviews so I can use the top rated in each category lists to explore the subgenres/artists that I don't know.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 2:35am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

a tad, but you usually have interesting things to say Wink

EmbarrassedHugWinkLOL

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

I've said this before on here, my jazz collection/knowledge is rather disappointing and slim. The reason I don't post in many rec threads is simply because I don't know anything about whomever to give recommendations. I've certainly gotten a few from those types of threads but thats about it.

As for what types of jazz I go for...as for now I'm mostly trying to get the classics. Hell, I just got A Love Supreme in April! Got most of my Miles collection this year as well.

And hopefully as this site grows we will get more and more reviews so I can use the top rated in each category lists to explore the subgenres/artists that I don't know.

You shouldn't feel bad about that!!!
I got a bigger mouth than jazz collectionEmbarrassedBig smileLOLCool LOL

Reason is that I have a very cheap access to my national library system (which pays author's rights and royalties acccording to the loans, btw).... so I don't feel i have to buy many albums, just what I consider essential (I do the same with prog)

---------

Yup, although I don't go systematically by the top or essential of genres, jazz catalogues are sooooo extended that it's pure murder and insanity to own more than the essentials (whatever they may be for you, of course).. I simply will never have the time to explore everything (I'm nearing 50 and don't plan to live all that long >>> I've abused too many good things in lifeEmbarrassed)... and normally I still have to dig deeper in classical music (been saving that when I get to be an old geezerLOL)

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 4:10am
Anything that excites me, anything that is fresh to me - which doesn't simply mean new artists/recordings - in fact this is as much about recordings I missed the first time around, or perhaps didn't get/got intimated the first hearing several decades ago, e.g. Mike Westbrook's Marching Song.
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastor Rex Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 12:59am
My tastes range from Louie Jordan to Prog to Acid Jazz. I haven't given it a whole lot of thought actually.
Mutant or some forms of free jazz I find hard to listen to (maybe at this moment).
Jimmy Smith got the ball rolling for me as a buyer while before that I was an occasional passive listener.
However I did enjoy the works of Herb Alpert & TJB at an early age.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:35pm
I am all over the map, Today I have listened to Love Love from Julian Priester, Overdog from the Keef Hartley Band, and I am about to listen to John McLaughlin's My Goals Beyond and Dizzy Gillespie with Lalo Schifrin. I can't think of any genre of music I can't find something to like in it. OK maybe Kenny G. not a big fan of fuzak,
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 11:27pm
I am restricting myself to a lot of 40-70s in order to try and catch up with some of the significant shifts in Jazz history, and there's so much. Often I'm torn between pursuing artists VS pursueing genres.

In regards to the new, I'm mostly focused on the modern stuff released by Australian artists, because for one reason, at least - I have a chance of seeing them live. And the other reason is because, basically, I'm liking what they do!

For modern bands from other places, I'm open - but not actively seeking. If a review catches my eye, that's always a good start
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:21am
Jazz can be one of the most money-consuming styles of music for me the way I buy jazz music.  I'm the type of person who often grabs music by the branching out method.  Obviously, a guy like Miles Davis worked with dozens of artists who went on to have great careers, and he was one of those guys I'd start with and branch out to discover work by the likes of Keith Jarrett and Dave Holland (having already been familiar with Hancock, Weather Report, Mahavishnu, and Chick Corea/RTF among others). Having recently acquired music from artists like Cecil Taylor and the Art Ensemble of Chicago, I'll most likely be branching into artists that collaborated with them.

I also take a great deal of recommendations from jazz books.  I recently acquired a drum book by John Riley called "Beyond Bop Drumming" (http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Drumming-Manhattan-Music-Publications/dp/1576236099), and the recommendations listed in the back of the book (by drummer) is a useful tool.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic