JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unbelievable ear training demonstratio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzsounds2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unbelievable ear training demonstratio
    Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:52am
Hello everyone, I am new here. I wanted to post a video of a young person demonstrating incredible skills in ear identifying chords, classical triads and serious jazz chords, and intervals by ear. How important is such a talent in Jazz music?. Is there a history of great Jazz musicians possessing such ear training skills.

https://www.facebook.com/guitarprasanna/videos/vb.7536103955/10155906093673956/?type=2&theater

Edit:
The Facebook login screen can be an annoyance and  can be bypassed by clicking on the nearly invisible blue colored "Not Now" text below the bright green "Create New Account" box.

Edited by jazzsounds2 - 22 Jan 2018 at 5:10pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 12:48pm
Yes, that young man has a very special talent. Picking out the single notes, the intervals and the chord qualities are all standard things we work on in music school, but the fact that he could tell you specifically exactly which chord it is is very remarkable.

I would imagine all of the upper level players, Parker, Dolphy, Chris Potter etc, probably have highly developed ears. I went to music school with the fusion bass player, Gary Willis, and he was pretty good at picking out fairly complicated chords by ear. Also, I have a young student who can play some pieces after only hearing them once. Some people seem to have a gift for this, its called perfect pitch.
jazzsounds2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzsounds2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:36pm
Thank you for the informative response.
jazzsounds2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzsounds2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:04am
Edited the original post to correct the insertion of hyperlink.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic