JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestion for new artists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan0354 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion for new artists
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:46pm
Hi

I have not been listening to Jazz music since the early 90s. I want to get some names of new artists so I can check them out. These are my preference:

1) I don't like Bebob.
2) I don't like acoustic instrument except piano. I prefer electric instruments.
3) I used to like Pat Coil, Gerald Albright, Kilauea( Daniel Ho), Spirogyra, Lee Ritenour & Dave Grusin band.
4) I don't like soft music.

I have been on web searching, but still all the old people came up. I have CD on most of them. I need some new names so I can go on Youtube to check them out.

Thanks
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:48pm
Try The Yellowjackets and Chick Corea Electrik Band  and tell me what you think of them and I will have more suggestions for you.

Edited by js - 11 Jan 2018 at 6:48pm
Alan0354 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan0354 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:52pm
Thanks, I have plenty of Chick Corea and Yellow Jacket. They are old from my days. I want someone new and good.

Is it true the top ones are still the same as 25 years ago? They just get older!!! I am hoping to find new bloods.

Thanks
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:04pm
I see, most of the artists you listed were 70s - 80s, so i thought that was what you were into. For something newer, try Snarky Puppy or Soulive, tell me what you think of them.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:36pm
Here are some more before I head out for the night:
E.S.T.
Hiromi
Bugge Wesseltoft
The Bad Plus
Lettuce
Jagga Jazzist
David Torn

rooted in the 70s-80s:
Pat Martino
John Abercrombie
I guess you are already familiar with Pat Methany, try some of his newer music, he keeps up with the times.

Edited by js - 11 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:18pm
^ for more recent Methany, try his Unity Band recordings.
Alan0354 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan0354 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:11pm
Hi JS

Thanks for your suggestion, I listened to all of them on Youtube, they are a little too non melody for me. Do you have some that has a little more melody? I don't mean like those soft jazz that really like soft music, but just a little with melody, maybe a little funky.

Thanks a lot for you input.

Alan
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:55pm
Okay, I thought E.S.T. was a good one in that direction, also Snarky Puppy, let me give this some more thought and I will get back to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic