JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mix of Jazz and Classical Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mix of Jazz and Classical Music
    Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 9:34am
I looked at a really great album by Don Sebesky I think and it was a perfect match between Jazz and Classical Music. I don't remember wich album it was but it was amazing. Is other mix like that were made?
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 9:55am

this one?

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 10:00am
Porgy and Bess (Miles Davis version) is a good example.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 10:31am
Check out our 3rd Stream genre. That is where we put artists who mix jazz with concert hall music, as well as jazz artists who write compositions.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 11:22am
You might want to check out a few of Alice's albums, were she dabbles in classical music as well (notably stravinsky Rites Of Spring), but she's got it (or had itCry, should I say) quite easy with her classical formation, and her sometimes over-powering string arrangements.

I'm investigating also Neil ardley's works, right now.

Also coming to mind are Deodato's jazz arrangement of Strauss (called zathustra), debussy and ravel works in the early 70's.

You'd better look under the third-stream genre to bget more indications.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 11:28am
You know I've heard of Sebesky but it's been many years since I've heard the music.  But what came to mind first is this band called Free Flight.  I don't think they've been active since the early '80's but one of the two albums I have is actually called The Jazz/Classical Union.

BTW, another artist who isn't on here yet.  Add them to my list. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - 17 Jun 2011 at 11:30am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 12:09pm
We added Sebesky long ago.

Edited by js - 17 Jun 2011 at 12:11pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 5:53pm

Here is something different. It is not like his usual fare and actually would be one of the softest mastering jobs I have ever heard but it needs to be for the material. Three takes of "Spiegel Im Spiegel"...(Mirror in the Mirror) , Duets of piano and violin or violincello and two of "Fur Alina" ( solo piano) Although absolutely beautiful it is depressing. When I bought it surprisingly my wife played it as well as one of my daughters and you would think it would be the last type of album to be popular here. If it had been a record would have had a few pops by now with the amount of play.

Alina - Arvo Pärt

Maybe there is a Salsa version out there  Wink  We are all too crass here for Classical. If it does not swing, rock,disco, etc , it is usually out the door like a rocket
Matt
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 6:27pm
Try Epitaph by Charles Mingus if you can find it anywhere. INCREDIBLE composition, and Third Stream, which is the fusion of classical and jazz.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

We added Sebesky long ago.
I was referring to my list of not yet addeds not Sebesky. LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 6:30pm
D'oh Embarrassed
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 8:09pm
Hell, even Sketches of Spain is pretty classical in nature.

John Zorn has done some classical albums
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 8:48pm
The knower person might have a lot of George Gershwin as a classic item. I recalled Eugen Cicero because I read this thread. However, because Sean referred Hubert Laws and Deodato before, I am approaching the opinion. Perhaps, it will be able to refer from the section of Pop Jazz as well as Night On Bald Mountain and Farandole of Bob James.
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 9:59am
Uri Caine!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 11:20am
Perhaps it was Don Sebesky's "Giant Box"

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 6:18pm
I believe Dave Brubeck did some tinkering in this realm. At least the one piece I have " Elementals" (from Time Changes) mixes the two.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 1:24pm
I recommend Lucian Ban-Enesco Re-Imagined
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 1:02pm
Sebesky's "Giant Box" has a great blending of Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" with Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" and Bob James has a jazzy version of "Night on Bald Mountain" on his album "One."  I'm sure there are many more examples but those two come to mind immediately.  Also, if you're into synthesizer-heavy covers of classics check out Tomita's work in the 70s.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

I believe Dave Brubeck did some tinkering in this realm. At least the one piece I have " Elementals" (from Time Changes) mixes the two.

Of course Blue Rondo A La Turka - with a big thank you to WA Mozart - which Keith Emerson subsequently transcribed into 4.4  for Nice.

Amused by a classical fan taking some' offence hearing Hubert Laws Going Home (ex  Chicago Theme album), and recognising it was a bit of Dvorak's 9th or New World Symphony - I had to remind him Dvorak had lifted a number of negro spirituals for that composition - so it was kinda going home!
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:03pm
Hi,

Try Egberto Gismonti's No Caipira from the 70's ... and see if you can handle most of the album ... it is, Villa Lobos meets Samba, meets Bossa Nova, meets Jazz, meets Stravinsky ... and then ... who knows ... who cares ... it's out of this world and one of the finest things ever recorded!

You don't even need any psychedelics to enjoy it! ... and at the time I was reading Doris Lessing's "Briefing for a Descent Into Hell" ... and if you have'nt read it (quick read btw ... small novel!) ... you are cheating, but this music was like a real soundtrack for that novel!

Let's see. Terje Rypdal had some orchestral pieces that I have to listen to again, as I don't really remember them that well.

There was one other piece that I think it is an ECM album, that I have never found that is really neat ... someone wrote a piece for Chromatic Harp with an orchestra, and no, this was not Norton Buffalo, or Toots Thielmanns, and I have never found that piece ... but yeah ... it was massive and I thought that the Harp was very jazzy around the orchestra.

And my apologies, I have not kept up with ECM in the past 15 years.

Edited by Moshkito - 15 Aug 2011 at 8:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic