FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mix of Jazz and Classical Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 6:27pm
Try Epitaph by Charles Mingus if you can find it anywhere. INCREDIBLE composition, and Third Stream, which is the fusion of classical and jazz.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 5:53pm

Here is something different. It is not like his usual fare and actually would be one of the softest mastering jobs I have ever heard but it needs to be for the material. Three takes of "Spiegel Im Spiegel"...(Mirror in the Mirror) , Duets of piano and violin or violincello and two of "Fur Alina" ( solo piano) Although absolutely beautiful it is depressing. When I bought it surprisingly my wife played it as well as one of my daughters and you would think it would be the last type of album to be popular here. If it had been a record would have had a few pops by now with the amount of play.

Alina - Arvo Pärt

Maybe there is a Salsa version out there  Wink  We are all too crass here for Classical. If it does not swing, rock,disco, etc , it is usually out the door like a rocket
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 12:09pm
We added Sebesky long ago.

Edited by js - 17 Jun 2011 at 12:11pm
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 11:28am
You know I've heard of Sebesky but it's been many years since I've heard the music.  But what came to mind first is this band called Free Flight.  I don't think they've been active since the early '80's but one of the two albums I have is actually called The Jazz/Classical Union.

BTW, another artist who isn't on here yet.  Add them to my list. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - 17 Jun 2011 at 11:30am
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 11:22am
You might want to check out a few of Alice's albums, were she dabbles in classical music as well (notably stravinsky Rites Of Spring), but she's got it (or had itCry, should I say) quite easy with her classical formation, and her sometimes over-powering string arrangements.

I'm investigating also Neil ardley's works, right now.

Also coming to mind are Deodato's jazz arrangement of Strauss (called zathustra), debussy and ravel works in the early 70's.

You'd better look under the third-stream genre to bget more indications.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 10:31am
Check out our 3rd Stream genre. That is where we put artists who mix jazz with concert hall music, as well as jazz artists who write compositions.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 10:00am
Porgy and Bess (Miles Davis version) is a good example.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 9:55am

this one?

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 9:34am
I looked at a really great album by Don Sebesky I think and it was a perfect match between Jazz and Classical Music. I don't remember wich album it was but it was amazing. Is other mix like that were made?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic