JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pianists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Who is your favourite player?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [6.25%]
5 [15.63%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.25%]
5 [15.63%]
4 [12.50%]
5 [15.63%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [9.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Originally posted by Jazz Pianist Jazz Pianist wrote:

Originally posted by Jazz Pianist Jazz Pianist wrote:

Argh the term "avant-garde" is so overused... If anything in Compulsion Andrew Hill is only breaking down personal boundries. He is expressing him self freely without the ties of harmonic law

Well then, 'free jazz' sounds better for you?

Yeah man

Man I sounded really pedantic... I do apologise

Haha, no prob. I actually would have said free jazz, but since free jazz is inside Avant in here...

Shall be really out there and do away with all this genre nonsense?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 4:24pm
Cool

^ Check this, and tell us what you think of it:

I think this is definitely post bop, slightly heading toward avant.

And if you want some avant:

I think you should really check his 60s albums, it's all pretty much quality jazz and belonging to either post bop or avant like Matt said.
Meant to get back yesterday Pablo but ran out of time, "Compulsion" is awesome. I call it his personally his percussion album. Not only does he have the extra 2 in the band but listen to how he plays that piano throughout. Percussion, he slams into those piano keys Cool His nonet album is great and you all know how fussy I can be with big bandsApprove  "Passing Ships",    Not that mad on "Lift Every Voice" though. The one I am playing is great too "Pax". Alfred Lion from Blue Note loved him and just kept doing session after session with him. They had that much in the can and could not release it all without saturation. It is not like his albums were very big sellers either. Bobby Hutcherson's "Dialogue" he is all over as well and I highly recommend it. I like his later ones too. "Dusk" , "Time Lines"........."Blue Black"  from the mid seventies CoolCoolCoolCoolCool...........yeah I reckon he was cool.
Matt
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Cool Meant to get back yesterday Pablo but ran out of time, "Compulsion" is awesome. I call it his personally his percussion album. Not only does he have the extra 2 in the band but listen to how he plays that piano throughout. Percussion, he slams into those piano keys Cool His nonet album is great and you all know how fussy I can be with big bandsApprove  "Passing Ships",    Not that mad on "Lift Every Voice" though. The one I am playing is great too "Pax". Alfred Lion from Blue Note loved him and just kept doing session after session with him. They had that much in the can and could not release it all without saturation. It is not like his albums were very big sellers either. Bobby Hutcherson's "Dialogue" he is all over as well and I highly recommend it. I like his later ones too. "Dusk" , "Time Lines"........."Blue Black"  from the mid seventies CoolCoolCoolCoolCool...........yeah I reckon he was cool.

I just reviewed CompulsionStarStarStarStarStar and most likely i will do the same for most of AH's albums in the next weeks to come...

I'm glad someone entered his later-70's albumsClap >> it means that at least someone is reading my drivel on this forum HugApproveCoolLOL
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:21am
Went for Bill Evans as I'm currently obsessed with block chords - though Keith was close behind

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 06 Jul 2011 at 8:22am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Went for Bill Evans as I'm currently obsessed with block chords - though Keith was close behind

Check Red Garland! He's an early "pioneer" of the block chord.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:36pm

Awesome! Thank you, Abraxas. I certainly will - any particular album(s)?
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:54pm

Well, you can check his albums with Miles Davis, the "First Great Quintet" where John Coltrane is also member. Albums like Round About Midnight, or the Workin'/Cookin/etc albums.

Garland's band is also pretty great, albums like 'Dig It' and 'A Garland of Red'.

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Cool Meant to get back yesterday Pablo but ran out of time, "Compulsion" is awesome. I call it his personally his percussion album. Not only does he have the extra 2 in the band but listen to how he plays that piano throughout. Percussion, he slams into those piano keys Cool His nonet album is great and you all know how fussy I can be with big bandsApprove  "Passing Ships",    Not that mad on "Lift Every Voice" though. The one I am playing is great too "Pax". Alfred Lion from Blue Note loved him and just kept doing session after session with him. They had that much in the can and could not release it all without saturation. It is not like his albums were very big sellers either. Bobby Hutcherson's "Dialogue" he is all over as well and I highly recommend it. I like his later ones too. "Dusk" , "Time Lines"........."Blue Black"  from the mid seventies CoolCoolCoolCoolCool...........yeah I reckon he was cool.

I just reviewed CompulsionStarStarStarStarStar and most likely i will do the same for most of AH's albums in the next weeks to come...

I'm glad someone entered his later-70's albumsClap >> it means that at least someone is reading my drivel on this forum HugApproveCoolLOL
No worries Sean.There are plenty there to review. Big smile
Matt
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:35am

Well, you can check his albums with Miles Davis, the "First Great Quintet" where John Coltrane is also member. Albums like Round About Midnight, or the Workin'/Cookin/etc albums.

Garland's band is also pretty great, albums like 'Dig It' and 'A Garland of Red'.

Awesome, thank you! Will get on to these - though it just goes to show how long it's been since I played 'Round Midnight' from Davis Embarrassed
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 4:38pm
^no prob, hope you enjoy Red Garland's fab playing.
Noak2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 6:22pm
Cecil Taylor!
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:18am
Finally picked up an LP by Keith Jarrett yesterday and I'm curious as to what I will hear when I get time to listen to it.  I don't know much about the guy but I expect to be amazed.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

Finally picked up an LP by Keith Jarrett yesterday and I'm curious as to what I will hear when I get time to listen to it.  I don't know much about the guy but I expect to be amazed.

If it was the Koln Concert, I hope you are, that album stuns me.
Haven't hear enough of his other stuff - keen to get 'expectations' and see what it's like.
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:21am

Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

If it was the Koln Concert, I hope you are, that album stuns me.
Haven't hear enough of his other stuff - keen to get 'expectations' and see what it's like.

Yeah, I'd say that Koln is really the tops of Jarrett's discography...

His series of albums with DeJohnette are nice as well , but don't compare to Koln...

------------------------

two british jazz pianist really worth it (outside Keith Tippet)

Michael garrick and John Taylor.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

stuccohomes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuccohomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 5:32pm
For me it begins and ends with Keith Jarrett, but in between is up for grabs.
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yeah, I'd say that Koln is really the tops of Jarrett's discography...

His series of albums with DeJohnette are nice as well , but don't compare to Koln...

I have more than one of his works, and Koln is definitly tops in any scale ... the sheer free form and playing ability in it, is insane and can not be taught ... you have to feel it, and not be entraped being stuck on scales and modifications of scales in order to get a result, and there are not a whole lot of piano players that are that free in order to be able to create something like this.

For my tastes, most of the piano players in the list are very nice, but too many of them are way too conventional and tend to just do one thing, and you can not say that about Keith Jarrett, who does all kinds of different musics and I bet that if he did a fun stint with a rock band, he could show a few bands some real chops!

For example: You can go to NY or SF, and hear hundreds of excellent piano players in any bar doing some jazz, or light jazz. Sadly, when you see what they are playing, 2 hours later, it is still the same thing, sounds the same and has no livelihood of its own sometimes for you and I unless we have a few more drinks. And I will get bored, just like you will.

Many of them were very nice and super enjoyable ... but in the end, on the last cut, I still hear almost the same thing, and I have to tell you that I like to hear more ... that is not there!
dionisio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dionisio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:20pm
I really cannot decide between monk and bud powell, but since bud had.. ZERO votes, i had to vote for him ! guys, zero votes?! he's the bird on the piano.. now im going to listen to bud powell the rest of the night to compensate the lack of votes (even that there is no sense at all in this decision, its quite a good excuse to listen to him moaning for hours while playing piano. and that, didnt sound right, bt who cares :D )

EDIT: Oh crap, and there is no cecil taylor in that poll.. thats also a big crime xP

Edited by dionisio - 16 Aug 2011 at 4:21pm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:50pm
I'm a Thelonius Monk fanboy. 

Not so seriously, I once stole an album from his in a monastery when I was a felonious monk.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:40pm
Been getting more into Thelonious Monk lately. That album with Coltrane that was released in 2005 is still one of my favorites from him.
HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:18pm
Ahmad Jamal?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic