JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions?
    Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:16pm
I hope I'm not annoying the admins and collabs, with all my recent posts and requests. Embarrassed But I think it would be good if we, forum members, could suggest some things for the benefit of JMA, at least what we think that could benefit.

I know Max that you made JMA more similar to MMA rather than to PA, and in many aspects it's better. But there's one thing of PA that I've always liked, that is that the main/homepage has all the recent reviews, and not splitted in 'New releases' and 'Old releases' which seems to give more importance to the former, there's already the option to see that in the left corner, which is a good feature.

Second thing, the artist's page seems detracted from the right column "news". I find it ok to promote and show other music, but in an artist's page it is kind of distracting, at least for me of course. The artist's just seem too thin, the albums are splittled in only two columns, thus making it longer to scroll down and a bit confusing. The same goes for an album's page where the right column filled with news from the site and other assorts.

Just one more thing, wouldn't a grey background to reviews make them more visible-friendly? Also, the addition of the reviewer's avatar, if it's not much of a problem, in the album's page is also something I've liked since you added it to PA.

Sorry if this strikes you as bad criticism, I'm just saying what I think that could make the site more visually friendly. Of course, maybe I just need to accustome to JMA. Smile

Edited by Abraxas - 10 Mar 2011 at 7:21pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:32pm
i agree about the  'New releases' and 'Old releases' issue
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:43pm
I agree with that too, jazz is a lot about old music.

These are all Max issues, if he doesn't show up after a while send him a PM directing him to this thread. 

Edited by js - 10 Mar 2011 at 7:43pm
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 7:48pm
^thanks.
zdunne View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:29pm
I am wondering if the late 1990s Neo-swing(or Retro-Swing movement which included acts such as Cherry Poppin Daddies, Royal Crown Revue and Squirrel Nut Zippers that I remember as the most notable)should be acknowledged on this site as a subgenre(or just included in the Swing and Big Band genres because I see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is simply listed in the Swing genre) or not or if it is outside the scope of this site too much because of it's Alternative tendencies (even though the brass sections cover up whatever punk elements lie beneath for the most part).

Edited by zdunne - 13 Mar 2011 at 7:32pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:31pm
I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to the site.

Edited by js - 13 Mar 2011 at 8:08pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:07pm
I checked them out, I'll add Royal Crown Revue to Big Band, but I think I'll pass on the other two for now.
EntertheLemming View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntertheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 8:30am
I've always thought the A to Z heading just below the PA banner was very useful. Although a similar aide is available on JMA, I notice its tucked quite far down on the left hand side of the home page. hardly a big deal I know, but would it be better spread across the top?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 10:38am
Indeed,This opinion might be certain one of the ideas. Referred details were to have had the form similar to MMA almost though Max had already informed them of information that JMA was made now with PA last year. Anyway, this idea will be entrusted to Admin Group.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 11:31am
any idea when this site is going to be open to the public? I can't wait til the forums are bustling
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 12:11pm
Only Max knows the answer to that, should be soon though. Best thing for us to do is keep filling out the discogs so the place looks good and people will want to stick around.
andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 5:06pm
Officially yesterday, he PM'ed me at MMA LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 5:10pm
I didn't see any official announcement!
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

These are all Max issues, if he doesn't show up after a while send him a PM directing him to this thread. 

Bumping this issue Smile The new release reviews have stayed the same for seven days, making it look like nothing's going on on the site, but the old stuff gets steadily reviewed.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Bumping this issue Smile The new release reviews have stayed the same for seven days, making it look like nothing's going on on the site, but the old stuff gets steadily reviewed.

I think a separate thread about this one issue in the appropriate place for Max and Phil to be directed to would be a good start toward getting this changed. I support the change myself.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 6:09pm
if anyone starts the thread, i will suggest that old releases be put side-by-side with newer releases (or something like that, as long as older releases are shown somewhere at the top of the home page)
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 6:32pm
This is pretty minor, I admit, but I wonder if the reviews page for members can be ordered in other ways?

For instance, now it lists our reviews via star, from 5 -> 1 (which certainly makes sense) but are there other options? Like listing via artist or genre?

It would probably be a bit of messing around, and it's hardly vital stuff, but I thought I'd ask. No rush.  
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 7:46pm
^ hey Ashley, that suggestion is worthwhile, but it will never be noticed in this ancient thread. I'd start a new thread in the help us improve the site section.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 4:31am
^ Cool, thanks John, will do !
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic