JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dee Dee Bridgewater to celebrate Memphis in new CD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dee Dee Bridgewater to celebrate Memphis in new CD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dee Dee Bridgewater to celebrate Memphis in new CD
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:40pm
The musically rich city of Memphis, Tennessee is providing the inspiration for Dee Dee Bridgewater’s new album. The Grammy and Tony award winning singer was born there – at Collins Chapel Hospital in 1950 – and her new album has been recorded round the corner at Producer Willie Mitchell's historic Royal Studios, co-produced by Kirk Whalum.

Dee Dee says was determined to recapture the same magic and history of the Blues, R&B and Soul classics in the recordings that were originally made in or associated with Memphis. "I wanted people to be able to recall the original versions, but I also wanted them to have a more modern feeling while respecting those originals. I'm doing B.B. King's ‘Thrill Is Gone,’ Bobby Blue Bland’s ‘Going Down Slow’, Otis Redding's ‘Try A Little Tenderness,’ Al Green’s ‘Can't Get Next To You,’ Ann Peebles’ ‘I Can't Stand The Rain’ and The Staple Singers’ ‘Why? (Am I Treated So Bad)’ - it just doesn't get any better than this in terms of material. The opportunity to make them my own was an opportunity and a challenge I felt honored to take on."

UK audiences will be among the first to hear the new material performed live – as Bridgewater appears at the EFG London Jazz Festival on November 16 – at Cadogan Hall. She then plays a week in New York’s world famous Blue Note Jazz Club, all accompanied by the ‘Memphis Soulphony’. The album is out now with the following track listing…

1.      Yes, I'm Ready
2.     Giving Up
3.     I Can't Get Next To You
4.     Going Down Slow
5.     Why?  (Am I Treated So Bad)
6.     B.A.B.Y.
7.     Thrill Is Gone
8.     The Sweeter He Is
9.     Can't Stand The Rain
10.  Don't Be Cruel
11.  Hound Dog
12.  Try A Little Tenderness