JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A few more suggestions from my collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few more suggestions from my collection
    Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:24am
I need to pick a sub for each of these:

Tuck and Patti
Medeski Martin and Wood
Jan Hammer
Paul Dunmall
Vince Guaraldi
Andy Summers
Wilding/Bonus

Really cool to see artists already here that I didn't think would be here yet. Big smile
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:56am
Medeski Martin $ Wood are already addedWink
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I need to pick a sub for each of these:

Tuck and Patti
Medeski Martin and Wood
Jan Hammer
Paul Dunmall
Vince Guaraldi
Andy Summers
Wilding/Bonus

Really cool to see artists already here that I didn't think would be here yet. Big smile
Including a few on your list. Wink     Use the alpha-index, its more thurough than the genre lists. 
Don't worry about the sub genre, thats our job Geek  Every artist is thoroughly researched before being added, sometimes right down to the sub genre for every album of theirs, although not always.

Edited by js - 15 Jun 2011 at 8:30am
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 11:17am
hmm, I was using the artist search box.  Let's try again and see who I missed. Embarrassed  I swear MMW didn't show.

Cool, trim that list to:
Tuck and Patti - husband and wife duo, she sings he plays guitar.  Post Fusion Contemporary perhaps.
Paul Dunmall - I only have one the PD Octet's Great Divide.  Avant-Garde
Andy Summers - Eclectic Fusion
Wilding/Bonus - very similar to Brand X with some of the same guys.  Classic Fusion.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 15 Jun 2011 at 11:29am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 11:51am

Thumbs Up
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

hmm, I was using the artist search box.  Let's try again and see who I missed. Embarrassed  I swear MMW didn't show.

Cool, trim that list to:
Tuck and Patti - husband and wife duo, she sings he plays guitar.  Post Fusion Contemporary perhaps.
Paul Dunmall - I only have one the PD Octet's Great Divide.  Avant-Garde
Andy Summers - Eclectic Fusion
Wilding/Bonus - very similar to Brand X with some of the same guys.  Classic Fusion.

A lot of people are confused about the Post 70s Eclectic Fusion genre when they first join. Check the definition, its about that kind of punky fusion that came out of NYC in the 80s and still continues today around the world. Originators include Blood Ulmer, John Zorn and Ronald Shannon Jackson. A good defining feature of many of these bands is that drum line approach (very busy snare drum) to drumming, for instance Martin in MM&W.
Summers doesn't fit that, he probably fits Jazz Related Rock better, although some albums may differ.
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:43pm
JRR sounds good for Summers.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 9:51pm

Yes. I also have some albums of Andy Summers. There might be a possibility that tag changes by the album. I also agree its start from JRR.

However, it is felt that it is not a pure jazz album if the duo album of Andy Summers and Robert Fripp is added.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:09pm
Re Tuck and Patty: I used to live in San Francisco and they were very popular in Northern California, I never hear about them around the south though.
I agree, most of their albums probably fit Post Fusion Contemporary, but I ran into one, 'A Gift of Love'' that seemed more in the Pop Jazz category, they might have a couple more like that.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 5:52am
I've been going through the Summers discog and it sounds like most of his albums will go in Post-Fusion Contemporary, he's very similar to a lot of the ECM artists that are already there.
I did find one Classic Fusion and one JR-Rock too, and there may be more.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 11:07am
Hey Slarti, here is what I have for Summers:
"Mysterious Barricades" - Post Fusion Contemporary
"I Advanced Masked" - Contemp
"Strings of Desire" - Contemp
"Splendid Brazil" - Contemp
"First You Build a Cloud" - Contemp
"Charming Snakes" - Classic Fusion
"Bewitched" - JR Rock

Let me know if you think I have some wrong, you'll have to get the rest, if you don't know one, his default tag will be Post Fusion Contemporary.
When music brainz first imports his albums (the ones they do import anyway) all of them will be tagged with the default tag and then we go in and fix the ones that are different.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 1:26pm
all others are cleared for addition, will be imported at nearest time
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Hey Slarti, here is what I have for Summers:
"Mysterious Barricades" - Post Fusion Contemporary
"I Advanced Masked" - Contemp
"Strings of Desire" - Contemp
"Splendid Brazil" - Contemp
"First You Build a Cloud" - Contemp
"Charming Snakes" - Classic Fusion
"Bewitched" - JR Rock

Let me know if you think I have some wrong, you'll have to get the rest, if you don't know one, his default tag will be Post Fusion Contemporary.
When music brainz first imports his albums (the ones they do import anyway) all of them will be tagged with the default tag and then we go in and fix the ones that are different.

Andy's put out a lot of stuff.  You have three there I don't have  Your tags work for me.  Here's the others I have:
XYZ
Golden Wire, The
World Gone Strange
Last Dance of Mr. X, The

For a while there I couldn't go into a used CD store for a browse and not run into one of his.  Never been disappointed.  Haven't added any new ones in a while.

Also, as mentioned in another thread, I would like to add Free Flight.  I think third stream is good for them.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 4:07pm
OK, I'll check out Free Flight.
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:29pm
I see Free Flight is up.

World Saxophone Quartet - never had any of their albums, but my brother taped a radio broadcast to cassette many years ago.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 7:37pm
Yeah I remember them, no problemo, easy addition.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic