JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jazz songs sheet music  in the key used by Ella
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz songs sheet music in the key used by Ella

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz songs sheet music in the key used by Ella
    Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:14am
Hello everyone, I am searching for sheet music of jazz standarts but in the keys , in which Ella Fitzgerald sang them. Strangely, I find them everywhere in keys that nobody actually sings them. Could you recommend something? 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:48am
This chart may be of some help.
http://www.duplang.com/js_con.html

Other than that, a good jazz teacher or instrumental player could help you determine the keys of songs and then transpose them. This is actually not that hard for someone with a fair amount of experience.
Silvia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:31am
Thank you very  much for that chart, it is definitely useful! I agree that a jazz player wouldn't hesitate much, but the one I am going to sing with has got classical background, as well as I and it will be much easier to have the pieces written in the key they are to be sang. If i sing them in the original key they sound too operalike, which I really wish to avoid.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 6:12am
Surely there is someone near where you live that knows how to transpose. They could write the melodies for you in any key you want, even help you find the key that Ella is singing in. 
Maybe try running an ad, or visiting a nearby music school that has a jazz studies program. If you find someone who knows how, transposing melodies is not that hard, saxophone and trumpet players do it all the time since their instruments aren't C instruments.

Edited by js - 06 Oct 2017 at 6:14am
Silvia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 7:18am
I my self have got musical education and I am able to find the key , even abel to transpose some of the songs. But it is a question of nearly 70 songs. It will be much easier to find it already done for piano and vocal. But the link you sent is just great because they  offer a song book and I might just purchase it. 

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 7:49am
There is always this book, but I don't know if they mean the original key Ella sang the song in, or the original key the song was written in.
https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=740252&subsiteid=27
Silvia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:42am
Me neither. But these two links promise the songs in the key for women.
http://www.singers.com/jazz/solojazzsingerssongbooks.html
http://www.duplang.com/index.html
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:21am
Check out this ad:
https://memphis.craigslist.org/muc/d/music-charts-for-singers-and/6332373177.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic