JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SWING OUT SISTER jazz pop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWING OUT SISTER jazz pop
    Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:14pm
Swing Out Sister Albums: songs, discography, biography, and listening guide - Rate Your Music

Somewhat similar to Sade or that type of smooth soul jazz although this is more of a sophti-pop style with jazzy elements
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 2:32am
^I own that album and it sounds like about a hundred other British 'jazzy' club/dance groups from that era, but it does not sound anything like early Sade, who carries a lot of samba influence, both in rhythms and in vocal style. We're going to pass on this one.
From that era and style, Soul II Soul would be a much better candidate, but we're passing on them too.

Edited by js - 27 Sep 2017 at 8:36am
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm
Her vocals sound like Sade. God, if you have Sting and Kenny G on here, then why not? No worries! Just a suggestion :) BTW they have many albums not just the first one ;)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 5:09pm
Your comparison makes no sense, I don't care much for Sting, but he's worked with some of the best jazz musicians in the business including Kenny Kirkland, Omar Hakim, Daryl Jones and Branford Marsalis. That isn't going to happen if you don't know your stuff.
I don't care much for Kenny either, but he's worked with some of the best, including George Benson, Jeff Lorber, Lee Ritenour, Bebel Gilberto, Aretha Franklin and many more.

Edited by js - 27 Sep 2017 at 5:13pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 6:12pm
So merely working for someone qualifies for inclusion? That makes no sense to me. Just thought that since artists like Roberta Flack and Steve Winwoodn are here that Swing Out Sister wouldn't be out of the question. No, not familiar with their entire discography but i've heard quite a few albums and they seem non jazz. Personally i think these fringe artists water down the site but whatever. Not my decision :) Cheers

Edited by siLLy puPPy - 27 Sep 2017 at 6:13pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 6:51pm
You missed my point entirely, it means they know how to play jazz, remember, this is a jazz site Wink. Same goes for Stevie Winwood, have you listened to his new live album, he throws in a couple jazz numbers and he plays them well. He's been playing jazz since he was teen, and was playing jazz on a professional level well before he started a rock band. Roberta Flack, like most RnB singers is right at home singing jazz too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:00pm
Nope. Don't keep up with Steve :)  No worries. If Swing Out Sister doesn't cut the mustard here i'm not gonna lose any sleep over it LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:02pm
Well, just in case you had doubts about our selections, here is Roberta Flack singing a Duke Ellington medley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z_bOPntfPA
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:10pm
That's nice. I don't doubt your judgments. My exposure to some of these artists is limited. My interests are far too varied to check out every single possible release by every jazz related artist. 

However, does a one time collaboration qualify an artist to be here? Roberta Flack's albums that i have are strictly poppy R&B
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:38pm
You don't just decide one day you are going to sing Ellington without some kind of previous background, at least not if you are an artist with any kind of integrity. Go through Roberta's entire discog, there's lots of jazz in there. She's basically a jazz singer who sang some pop and other things as well.

My music collection has just about every style of music you can imagine, but if I'm going to talk about some style or artist with someone else, I'm going to make sure I know what I am talking about first, otherwise I'd just be wasting someone's time.

Edited by js - 27 Sep 2017 at 7:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic