JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Acid Jazz Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Acid Jazz Thread
    Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 1:31pm
Show your appreciation for this wonderful meld of Jazz, Funk, RnB, Disco, Soul, Electronic etc...

I'm going to start with this live gem:

GN7xzifGmbk&feature=related

Of course, very honourable mentions go to the mighty Jamiroquai and The Brand New Heavies.

Edited by js - 03 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 1:40pm
I've seen Incognito playing live two or three years ago in open air summer jazz fest in seaside town of Klaipeda and was really impressed how professional they are and how great show they made!

Edited by snobb - 13 Jun 2011 at 1:43pm
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 1:44pm
Ahaha yeah, everything about them just oozes professionalism and musicianship... fantastic band, all with a considerable background in jazz too!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 1:45pm
And what about St.Germain?
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:16pm
I love St Germain,can you recommend similar bands or albums?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 3:28pm
I love acid jazz and have been playing that style at clubs and parties since the early 90s. A lot of the acid jazz I listen to is on mix tapes and tapes of radio shows, so often I don't know who I'm listening to, but one name sticks out to me and thats the Greyboy All-Stars. I also like the older artists who laid the groundwork for acid jazz; Herbie Mann, Herbie Hancock, Jimmy McGriff etc. 
Acid jazz, soul Jazz, psychedelic RnB, Latin RnB and jazz exotica are all about the same to me and I like most all of it.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 3:31pm
I adore Down to the Bone and Jamiroquai. 
Down to the Bone being a great recollection of funk grooves interpolated with jazz motifs, being played by real instruments and a DJ.
Jamiroquai on the other hand, are a fantastic funky group that in their early years had strong jazz elements, as well as some disco/r&b making them even more danceable (not necessarily better for some). More recently they're decent dance group with catchy hooks, but nothing really that good.

The first Incognito album is neatly done, but it doesn't move me much.

Another recommended album is Brooklyn Funk Essentials' debut. And well, I consider the "rap jazz" genre acid jazz, so US3 is great.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:46pm
St.Germain's Tourist possibly is the best acid jazz album for me, US-3 are next in line. De-Phazz have some really nice songs as well.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:26pm

No proposal and it thought of it for a moment.

Is the subgenre of Omar Acid Jazz?Or, is it RnB?

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 1:23am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

St.Germain's Tourist possibly is the best acid jazz album for me, US-3 are next in line. De-Phazz have some really nice songs as well.

This is what I was afraid of, since hearing Tourist I'm trying without success to find something that at least comes close to it,what i heard from De-Phazz didn't knock me down, I'll look for US-3
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 6:42pm
Just checked out St. Germain... took me to another universe. Fantastic music!
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 7:03pm
Wow, thanks guys for insisting with St. Germain, not that I loved it, BUT I discovered that this is the band that my philosophy teacher showed me not too long ago! So, thanks for that, hehe.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 3:20pm
Remembered one more interesting band Beady Belle:

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 4:13pm
Nice!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Jazz Pianist Jazz Pianist wrote:

Just checked out St. Germain... took me to another universe. Fantastic music!
MMMMhhhh!!!!...

I you like St Germain, you might want to look into Marc Moulin's works around the millenium., like Top Secret or entertainement.. They owe almost everything to him... even the early 90's Maessage has the foundations of acid-jazz
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:27am
Collection of pre-St.Germain songs were released , didn't listen still

Edited by snobb - 23 Sep 2012 at 9:27am
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 3:07pm
Actually Acid Jazz Records started in 1987 by Eddie Piller with the help of Gilles Peterson. Acid Jazz has constantly championed new talent in the funk, soul and mod arenas.
You can try also Herr Krank - 

Edited by js - 03 Dec 2018 at 5:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic