JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Miles, and others - Jazz Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miles, and others - Jazz Fusion
    Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:28pm
I have Bitches Brew, and it's not bad but I honestly am not a huge fan of it.
However, I have heard that he has some other fusion albums that are really great as well.

So please recommendBig smile
Related note: Any jazz fusion welcome!
My fav jazz artist is Charlie. He hangs out in the park with his sax and is a character out of the 1940's. He's not great, but is improving each day and damn he has heart. That's what its all about!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:32pm
If you want some fusion that is a little more straight ahead and less experimental than Brew, try Miles' 'We want Miles', excellent guitar solos from Mike Stern on that one.
I also like the psychedelic space funk of Agharta by Miles. That one features the incredible Pete Cosey on guitar.
I think there are reviews up for both albums.
The Hepcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:57pm
I don't mind experimental at all, my only beef with Brew was it didn't feel too jazzy, but also not very rock-y. Almost like in bridging the gap it doesn't feel like either one.
Just my screwy opinion LOL

Thanks for the recs!
Any other jazz fusion is welcomed.
I of course like Al di Meola and have an album by Mahavishnu Orchestra which I love.

My fav jazz artist is Charlie. He hangs out in the park with his sax and is a character out of the 1940's. He's not great, but is improving each day and damn he has heart. That's what its all about!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:29am
Probably one of the best representatives of fusion would be Weather Report with Alphonso Johnson on bass, the "Mysterious Traveler" album for example.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:31am
Originally posted by The Hepcat The Hepcat wrote:

I don't mind experimental at all, my only beef with Brew was it didn't feel too jazzy, but also not very rock-y. Almost like in bridging the gap it doesn't feel like either one.
Just my screwy opinion LOL

Thanks for the recs!
Any other jazz fusion is welcomed.
I of course like Al di Meola and have an album by Mahavishnu Orchestra which I love.

"We want Miles' has some very rockin moments. From what I understand, Miles told guitarist Mike Stern to play like Van Halen. LOL
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:22am

I did not know it.LOL I memorized saying that Miles Davis would want the guitar player like Jimi Hendrix.

Anyway, I think that "Star People" is a good album.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:27am

Well I don't think I've seen/read you around either here or in ProgArcives, so welcomeWink

Well isn't that exactly what jazz-rock is all aboutSmile?? A non-obvious bridge between the two music genresCool.

Hopefully BB will one day sink in, because it's one of those cornerstone albums... but you might want to try the previous in A Silent Way of the next one Tribute To Jack Johnson
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:48am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Probably one of the best representatives of fusion would be Weather Report with Alphonso Johnson on bass, the "Mysterious Traveler" album for example.

Indeed a good suggestion, but Weather report's discography can be divided along their bass players

First the Miroslazv Vitous years (fromthe debut until Sweetnighter) from 71 until 73 >>> very much like Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi period, but both are a direct product of Miles BB album >> this is definitely my fave era of theirs

Then there is the Alphonso Johnson years:  74-75 with Mysterious Traveller and Tale spinnin >> I find this period more straightforward: the group settlles in a groove and solo away >> I generalize of course, but that's the general picture

Then youhave the Jazco Pastorius years: 76 until roughly 1981 or 82 (noy sure  >> generally the most commercial and popular era with Black Market and Heavy Weather as best sellers  >> definitely not my fave era, partly because if Pastorius is a good bassist, he's also an insufferable show off and overdoes almost systematically everything he did in that band. Musically the band is also all over the map and is quite unfocused: from standard jazz (like Birdland), to ethnic/world fusion... I find the albums of that era generally a mixed-bag or soup. It doesn't help that Zawinul's choice of synth are often disputable (Mr Gone is riddled with iffy synth sounds, and Wayne Shoreter is almost absent to save it from sinking.

Finally, the Victor Bailey  years >>> but that was the 80's.... and doesn't that say it all???

Edited by Sean Trane - 03 Jun 2011 at 1:48am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 2:00am
I also like initial WR. The directionality of the band might changed because Joe Zawinul started including the element of Funk in WR. Therefore, it is partial where Miroslazv Vitous did not have the element of Funk. Secession or the dismissal or the truth is not understood. However, it might have been connected with "Mysterious Traveller" as a result.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 2:35am
Bitches Brew clicked for me a few months or so ago, and I got the album back in 2006 Wacko

Try Jaco's self-titled solo album; a classic in the fusion genre and one of my favorites
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:46pm
Briantrane have you listened to any of Herbie Hancock's fusion?
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 3:33pm
In a Silent Way and Filles De Kilimanjaro might show you the jazzier side of Bitches Brew rawness. 

If you want pure rock from Miles, get A Tribute to Jack Johnson, 'Right Off' is 25 minutes of rock jazz (not fusion) powder.

Edited by Abraxas - 03 Jun 2011 at 3:34pm
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well I don't think I've seen/read you around either here or in ProgArcives, so welcomeWink

Well isn't that exactly what jazz-rock is all aboutSmile?? A non-obvious bridge between the two music genresCool.

Hopefully BB will one day sink in, because it's one of those cornerstone albums... but you might want to try the previous in A Silent Way of the next one Tribute To Jack Johnson

That yellow text hurts on this white backgroundPinch

Oh trust me, you have seen me on Prog Archives....I have over 26,000 posts and have been hanging there for 5 years now LOL I don't know, just a weird feeling I have about it.

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Try Jaco's self-titled solo album; a classic in the fusion genre and one of my favorites

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Briantrane have you listened to any of Herbie Hancock's fusion?

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

In a Silent Way and Filles De Kilimanjaro might show you the jazzier side of Bitches Brew rawness. 

If you want pure rock from Miles, get A Tribute to Jack Johnson, 'Right Off' is 25 minutes of rock jazz (not fusion) powder.

Thank you everyone!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:48pm

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

That yellow text hurts on this white backgroundPinch  >> you got a white background???ShockedTongueHow about orange??

Oh trust me, you have seen me on Prog Archives....I have over 26,000 posts and have been hanging there for 5 years now LOL I don't know, just a weird feeling I have about it.

Well Hepcat on  PA has only one post dating from sept 09Confused

What's your username, then??

the only brian i remember there is Garion81... sorry, if I should remember you!Embarrassed

Edited by Sean Trane - 03 Jun 2011 at 6:49pm

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:52pm
There's a hepcat on PA?
Damn it!!
Like always....nothing is ever ever original Cry Well with one post at least I know I did think of it and it wasn't lurking sub consciously.LOL I was gunna say check the newbie section...but I am JJ Lehto. I also have quite a bit of jazz to try out!
Thanks again everyone.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 7:19pm
Now JJ , I knowSax manHeadbangerViolinBeer

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 7:55pm
ha!

Thanks again y'all, I will report back in once I've digested all this.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 9:30pm
Hepcat, I'd like to suggest giving a listen to Larry Coryell & The Eleventh House.  Larry Coryell, great guitarist, Randy Brecker, excellent trumpet & Alphonse Mouzon, a very underrated drummer.  Their first album is very good "Introducing the Eleventh House with Larry Coryell".

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 1:30pm
oh hey JJ. Still gotta go to VV soon. Lots of music coming out in June I'm looking to pick up
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:49pm
To be a fan of the entirety of Bitches Brew, One probably does need a taste for the Avant Garde, Spanish Key and Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, are more straight ahead, especially with the funk overtones, But the title track, and to a lesser extent Pharaoh's Dance,  require some serious patience to reveal themselves. The complete sessions also have the same mix of styles. If a rockier or funkier thing is what you want, Jack Johnson and The Cellar Door Sessions would be a good bet, Dark Magus is a mind blowing assault of Hard Funk That will pound you into submission, The Japanese Vinyl issue of Dark Magus is one of my personal treasures, It still fires me up hearing it. For me In a Silent Way is Probably the best place to start, hardly any dissonance at all, Just a pleasant atmospheric record, with just enough of a groove to satisfy. a great Meditation music.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic