JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Miles, and others - Jazz Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by The Hepcat The Hepcat wrote:

I don't mind experimental at all, my only beef with Brew was it didn't feel too jazzy, but also not very rock-y. Almost like in bridging the gap it doesn't feel like either one.
Just my screwy opinion LOL

Actually a very profound statement, and does sum Bitches Brew Up, There lies the problem Critics had with the music. They could not see beyond the box they wanted to put in , Jazz ?,  rock?, We must also realize as well that Teo Macero has his hands all over Bitches Brew, With the edits, cuts and loops, In many ways he deserves some credit for the finished product. To me, the is it jazz? or is it rock question is the biggest compliment of all, Miles Created a New form of music, An Album that sort of stands alone, Really nothing like it before or after. Give it one more "good" listen with headphones. Maybe it will click for you.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:48am
Hey!

I'd like to 2nd In a Silent Way' a more temperate album, but vital in Mile's development. More jazz than fusion, but fascinating nonetheless. Mantra-like.

Stomu's Go, you might like, though coming from PA, I'm guessin' you've heard of him?

And as a MV Orcestra fan, you'd probably already heard the Santana/MHVO duet Love Devotion and Surrender?

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 9:49am
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

Originally posted by The Hepcat The Hepcat wrote:

I don't mind experimental at all, my only beef with Brew was it didn't feel too jazzy, but also not very rock-y. Almost like in bridging the gap it doesn't feel like either one.
Just my screwy opinion LOL

We must also realize as well that Teo Macero has his hands all over Bitches Brew, With the edits, cuts and loops, In many ways he deserves some credit for the finished product

Yeah, I'm with ya there, very important contribution
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 9:24pm
woops wrong section.

ANyway I recommend A Tribute To Jack Johnson

Edited by darkshade - 08 Sep 2011 at 9:25pm
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 9:41pm
Brew takes awhile to get into....its not the easiest listen of Miles stuff........try Nefertiti, to me its more straight up Miles with Herbie Hancock on piano and Wayne Shorter on sax. I enjoy side 2 more than 1, Nefertiti the track is a bit experimental and I think would have fit nicely on Bitches Brew.
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:18pm
Garry Barton and the Flock are also quite nice
Stopbyforjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stopbyforjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:38pm
Any fans of-Vocal Conspiracy very nice fusion group,also-Pharoh Sanders-Elevation is cool also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic