JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Miles, and others - Jazz Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:27am
Originally posted by The Hepcat The Hepcat wrote:

I don't mind experimental at all, my only beef with Brew was it didn't feel too jazzy, but also not very rock-y. Almost like in bridging the gap it doesn't feel like either one.

Well I don't think I've seen/read you around either here or in ProgArcives, so welcomeWink

Well isn't that exactly what jazz-rock is all aboutSmile?? A non-obvious bridge between the two music genresCool.

Hopefully BB will one day sink in, because it's one of those cornerstone albums... but you might want to try the previous in A Silent Way of the next one Tribute To Jack Johnson
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:22am

I did not know it.LOL I memorized saying that Miles Davis would want the guitar player like Jimi Hendrix.

Anyway, I think that "Star People" is a good album.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:31am
Originally posted by The Hepcat The Hepcat wrote:

I don't mind experimental at all, my only beef with Brew was it didn't feel too jazzy, but also not very rock-y. Almost like in bridging the gap it doesn't feel like either one.
Just my screwy opinion LOL

Thanks for the recs!
Any other jazz fusion is welcomed.
I of course like Al di Meola and have an album by Mahavishnu Orchestra which I love.

"We want Miles' has some very rockin moments. From what I understand, Miles told guitarist Mike Stern to play like Van Halen. LOL
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 12:29am
Probably one of the best representatives of fusion would be Weather Report with Alphonso Johnson on bass, the "Mysterious Traveler" album for example.
The Hepcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:57pm
Just my screwy opinion LOL

Thanks for the recs!
Any other jazz fusion is welcomed.
I of course like Al di Meola and have an album by Mahavishnu Orchestra which I love.

My fav jazz artist is Charlie. He hangs out in the park with his sax and is a character out of the 1940's. He's not great, but is improving each day and damn he has heart. That's what its all about!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:32pm
If you want some fusion that is a little more straight ahead and less experimental than Brew, try Miles' 'We want Miles', excellent guitar solos from Mike Stern on that one.
I also like the psychedelic space funk of Agharta by Miles. That one features the incredible Pete Cosey on guitar.
I think there are reviews up for both albums.
The Hepcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hepcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 11:28pm
I have Bitches Brew, and it's not bad but I honestly am not a huge fan of it.
However, I have heard that he has some other fusion albums that are really great as well.

So please recommendBig smile
Related note: Any jazz fusion welcome!
My fav jazz artist is Charlie. He hangs out in the park with his sax and is a character out of the 1940's. He's not great, but is improving each day and damn he has heart. That's what its all about!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic