JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greg Osby & Daniel Bennett at the Triad on June 25
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greg Osby & Daniel Bennett at the Triad on June 25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greg Osby & Daniel Bennett at the Triad on June 25
    Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 3:00pm
I am a Greg Osby fan myself but I doubt if Aus is on the touring schedule Disapprove
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 5:48pm
Nice, I like his music, very unique.
Wish we had some more fans here to see your announcements. Do you have any ideas on how we could get some more jazz fans here. I've been advertising in the musician part of craig's list. Are there some better ideas?
Standavisjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Standavisjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 5:06pm
Ha!  Yeah, you're right.  Well, you might have to fill me in on shows in Memphis.  It's been a while since I've been there.  

PS. Daniel Bennett played at the Triad last month.  Here is video of the show...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 5:03pm
When are you going to tell us about a show in Memphis, we like jazz too.  Cool
Standavisjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Standavisjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 4:40pm
SWEET!! Renowned saxophonists Greg Osby and Daniel Bennett are playing a double bill at the Triad (www.triadnyc.com) in Manhattan on Saturday, June 25th. Osby plays modern post bop-inspired jazz and Bennett plays his own brand of experimental "Folk Jazz." This show is going to ROCK! I just bought my tickets.  Who else is going?

Tickets are only $20 when you order at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/177563

Here is the info that I got from the Triad website:

Saturday, June 25th
Triad Theatre
158 West 72nd St
New York, NY

"Jazz at the Triad" Concert Series presents...
Greg Osby Duo
www.gregosby.com
Daniel Bennett Group 
www.danielbennettgroup.com

Visit www.triadnyc.com
9:30pm (doors open at 9pm)
$20 in advance ($25 at the door)
Tickets at http://www.brownpape...om/event/177563

On Saturday, June 25th, the acclaimed Triad Theatre in Manhattan presents a special double bill concert, featuring contemporary jazz saxophonist Greg Osby and experimental "Folk-Jazz" saxophonist Daniel Bennett. The Triad Theatre has hosted performances by entertainers like Slash, Joan Osborne, Lisa Loeb, Paula Cole, Susan Lucci, Buddy Miles, Ravi Coltrane, Debbie Gibson, David Crosby, George Benson, Max Weinberg, John Entwistle, Tracey Morgan, Kathie Lee Gifford, Matthew Broderick, Rachel Dratch, and Steve Gutenberg. The Triad was the original home for Off-Broadway hits like "Forever Plaid," "Forbidden Broadway," and "Secrets Every Smart Traveler Should Know." The Triad is located at 158 West 72nd Street on Manhattan's upper west side. Visit www.triadnyc.com for more information. All advance tickets must be purchased at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/177563

Veteran New York saxophonist Greg Osby began his career as a sideman for artists as varied as Herbie Hancock, Dizzy Gillespie, Jack DeJohnette, Andrew Hill, Muhal Richard Abrams, Jim Hall and Jaki Byard. Seeking challenge has been a theme in Osby's career. Upon diving into the New York jazz scene, he often found himself frustrated by his less adventuresome peers. He sought out other musicians who shared his love of exploring musical styles beyond the standard Tin Pan Alley fare. In 1985 Osby was invited to to join Jack DeJohnette's innovative group, "Special Edition". Osby signed with Blue Note Records in 1990 and recorded fifteen outstanding recordings for that label as a leader. In 2008, Osby launched his own label, "Inner Circle Music," which serves as a platform for many of today's brightest artists. The Village Voice critic Francis Davis wrote of his contribution to their double album Upriver, "Greg Osby superimposes his own brand of rhythmic complexity (one fully worthy of Wayne Shorter) on the rhythm section's static vamps every time he steps forward." In 2003 Osby toured with The Dead, which was a reincarnation of The Grateful Dead for a full North American tour. He also has contributed in various lineups with Phil Lesh and Friends. Since 2007, Greg has been an active endorser of P. Mauriat Saxophones.

Critically acclaimed New York "Folk Jazz" saxophonist Daniel Bennett has recently shared concert billings with artists like Bill Frisell, Charlie Hunter, James Carter, Billy Martin (Medeski, Martin & Wood), Jerry Bergonzi, Steve Kuhn, and David Fiuczynski. The Village Voice raves, "saxophonist Bennett makes hay with an airy approach that's buoyant enough to conjure notions of East African guitar riffs and Steve Reich's pastoral repetition." The Boston Herald described Daniel Bennett's music as, "exploratory folk-jazz." Bennett's musical journey began as a graduate student at the prestigious New England Conservatory in Boston, Massachusetts. During this time, Bennett began to compose songs that featured folk melodies played on the saxophone in a jazz quartet format. Bennett's chord progressions also maintained a unique minimalist quality, influenced by composers like Steve Reich and Philip Glass. The Boston Phoenix described Bennett's style as, "an unusual folk-minimalist approach." The Boston Globe described Bennett's music as "a mix of jazz, folk, and trance." The Daniel Bennett Group has released four albums on the Bennett Alliance label, A Nation of Bears, The Legend of Bear Thompson, Live at the Theatre, and Peace and Stability Among Bears. Daniel Bennett's "Folk Jazz" music has found a broad fan base that is unusual for a modern jazz outfit. Insite Magazine called Daniel Bennett's music, "refreshingly capricious and trippy."

Attached thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic