JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yussef Kamaal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yussef Kamaal
    Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:20am
Though there is a DJ dimension to one of the two artistes (Yessef and Kammal are two different names, the latter also known as Henry Wu), this album is anything but DJ/Electronica jazz

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/artist/yussef-kamaal

From your own bio:
The band's sound represents a collision of '70s jazz-funk with 21st century London bass, beat, and hip-hop.

This is OK, but the album is closer to Shabaka (Hutchings) & The Ancestors , and only a tiny part of the album sounds drumm&bass

up to you to see whether this needs a correction in the genre dept.

Edited by Sean Trane - 29 Apr 2017 at 4:51pm
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 9:23am
Its a modern groove oriented jazz record with most of the beats coming from hip-hop and drumnbass, and there is definitely way more than a "tiny part" with drumnbass beats. There is also a fair amount of looped parts, or musicians imitating loops.

The only place for records like that on here is Nu Jazz or Electronica Jazz. We moved the record to Nu Jazz because of the high amount of live playing and soloing. The line between more active Nu Jazz records like this one, and modern fusion is a thin line sometimes, with the major difference being the types of rhythms being used.

I would imagine that in a live situation, the musicians assembled on here would probably cut loose more and come across more like a fusion band.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:47pm
For having seen them live three weeks ago , this is almost the carbon copy of what we saw and what's on the album (Shabaka was up next)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WebmkZR0mDA

your decision anyways

Edited by Sean Trane - 29 Apr 2017 at 4:50pm
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 5:53pm
"Nu Jazz" like this is just a modern form of fusion really, the emphasis is on the musicians and the solos, not just cool sounds as in more low key nu jazz. This music is fairly 'hot'.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic