JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz couples

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz couples
    Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 1:11am
Taken from my Azimuth thread, here's an idea

Let's see how many couples we can round up in the jazz realm

We've got Gary and Annette Peacock (she wxas born Coleman)
There is also Norma Winstone and John Taylor (these were the two couples I was confused about)µ

Of course, we've got
Keith and Julie Tioppett(s) (she was Driscoll)
Paul and Carla Bley (née Borg)
John and Alice Coltrane (née McLeod)

I'm sure I'm missing some, though.... so jump in the jazz's pink pâges to dig them out!Smile

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:56am
BTW, Annette Peacock's first baby was Paul VBley's, while she was still married to Gary....
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Good Aural View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Aural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:31am
Mark Feldman and Sylvie Courvoisier!
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 1:40am
How for Randy Brecker and Eliane Elias?Smile
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 9:14pm
Chick Corea\Gayle Moran
Airto Moreira\Flora Purim
Michał Urbaniak\Urszula Dudziak (ex)
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 7:41am
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I wish we could divorce her aweful singing from his music as well....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by seb2112 seb2112 wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I wish we could divorce her aweful singing from his music as well....

LOLLOLLOLLOL

some people have suiggested that as well for Keith & Julie Tippett(s).... but given what I've heard some 10 years ago ... I think Julie's singing is much more insufferable than Keith's abstract piano doodlings...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 9:01am
Aaaaand of course we've got Jon Hiseman and Barabara Thompson

(although I'm not 100% positive they're married)

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 9:56am
Don't you think that this is a gossip topic?LOL
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:01am
I think that was the intention...
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Don't you think that this is a gossip topic?LOL

I don't see where this is gossip in any way shape or formConfusedSmile... It's rather interesting to see how musicians meet and actually marry after a collaboration .... well in some cases, anyway:  A. Peacock, she wasn't in the in music when she did get married to Gary ... she was 19 when she did)... She became a singer at Paul Bley's contacts.

Jon and Barb are married, btw!! I checked

Edited by Sean Trane - 11 Jun 2011 at 10:42am

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:43am
If you choose this way of thinking, it's not a gossip topic.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:59am
We're waiting for the non-gossip stuff
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 11:06am
Haha!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 1:18am

Shocked

Heart

Censored

Pig

EmbarrassedHeartCool

LOL

Wink

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 6:54am

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:27pm
And the king and queen of British jazz; Johnnie Dankworth & Cleo Lane.

POI: isn't it (peculiarly) Keith Tippett and Juilie Tippetts - rather like those brothers in rock Cliff Richard and Keith RichardsWink.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

And the king and queen of British jazz; Johnnie Dankworth & Cleo Lane.

POI: isn't it (peculiarly) Keith Tippett and Juilie Tippetts - rather like those brothers in rock Cliff Richard and Keith RichardsWink.

I knowof Dankworth, but never heard of Cleo Lane ... Are they the same generation?? tell me more, please!!Wink

As for Julie Driscoll, I forgot why she added the "s" when tyaking her man's name...

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:26am
I think the family name is Tippetts - I believe the late serious British composer Sir Michael Tippetts was Keith's uncle - so is Keith Tippett almost a stage name???

I'm surprised the Dankworths had slipped below your radar - treated as jazz nobility in the UK and to some extent in the USA,  which was emphasised especially in the tributes after Sir John's death about two years ago. For instance Dudley Moore's serious jazz of the 60's can be heard in part  with Johnnie Dankworth's band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:41am
Well Dankworth soul-british rnb style was not really my stuff, so I never really investigated either him or his music...

Was Cleo cute???EmbarrassedLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic