JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SMOKE - jazz related rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMOKE - jazz related rock?
    Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:17pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 7:29am
That album is a treasure trove for a rare groove DJ, if such DJs are still around.
 Having worked in SF, I'm surprised I did not recognize any of the musicians, I wonder what happened to all of them.

Edited by js - 17 Apr 2017 at 7:30am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 9:10am
added
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

That album is a treasure trove for a rare groove DJ, if such DJs are still around.
 Having worked in SF, I'm surprised I did not recognize any of the musicians, I wonder what happened to all of them.

I quite love it and simply found it randomly on YouTube. Notice that it was only released once and vinyl and fetches hundreds on Discogs. I hope someone revives it because it's a classic sound. Apparently the first track has been sampled a lot. 

When were you in SF? Are you old enough that you were out here back in the early 70s?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 7:51pm
No, I lived in SF from about 1983 to 2004. when I first moved there, there were still some remnants of the 70s around. I visited the old Jimi Hendrix Electric Church, that was some real period camp, it lasted another year or two and was gone.
There were still a lot of 60s, 70s musicians around playing local gigs like John Cipolina and Nick Gravenites.
Peace and Freedom candidate Alan Cranston ( a state senator) still hadn't been busted for illegal bank dealings.
Dave Creamer (the uncredited guitar player on "ON the Corner") was advertising guitar lessons.
The new Balin, Cassady and Koukenen band still mattered enough to have a radio broadcast of a 'name the new band' contest. The contest was a failure and they were just the KBC band, and then a year or two later they were gone, the end of an era. Ermm

Edited by js - 17 Apr 2017 at 8:10pm
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 10:41pm
and yet SMOKE escaped your attention. shows how obscure they were i guess :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic