JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How jazz feels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How jazz feels
    Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:25pm
Hello everyone,

I've just started sharing my writing online: I'll be writing about a few different topics, but jazz music will be a recurring theme -- because I love it completely. I play the tenor sax in a six-piece band as a hobby. Learning to understand, love and then play jazz music has made my life much better.

I recently published a short post about the emotional experience of learning to improvise, and would be really grateful for your feedback -- can anybody identify with my experience? How was your experience different or similar? What do you think of my writing?

You can find it here.

I'll be adding to this whenever I have time, and will post links to any jazz-related content on this page if that's ok. I've never had feedback on my writing and it means a lot to me, especially on this topic. Not many of my friends are interested in jazz, and even fewer play an instrument.

Thanks for reading and Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland,
Matty

Edited by mattybannond - 23 Feb 2017 at 1:00pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:57pm
hey Matty,

welcome to the site, your link (above) doesn't work for me Ouch
mattybannond View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 1:02pm
Hi Snobb,

aha, serves me right for trying to be clever with hyperlinks! Thanks for letting me know Smile

I've updated it now and hopefully it works. The full link to the relevant article is: https://mattybannond.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/improvisation-a-union-of-mind-body-and-music/

Thanks again!
Matty
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 1:05pm
works now Thumbs Up
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 4:36pm
Hi, welcome to the site, I gotta gig right now, But i will try to check your blog out later and leave some feedback.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:13pm
I read your article, I'm glad you could get going. As a teacher, I can tell you that many students never learn the fun of improvising.

For me it was quite different. I didn't start playing until I was in my late teens. By then I had a clear idea of what I wanted to play, mostly solos on the B3. I had favorite jazz players (Jimmy Smith, Larry Young, Jack McDuff etc) and rock players (Jon Lord, Greg Rollie, Keith Emerson) plus many others, and the main thing I wanted to learn how to play was the solos.

I was working on B3 licks and solos before I could even play a song. Improvising has always been my favorite part of playing music.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:09pm
Thanks for your encouragement, all of you. It's really exciting for me to hear what you think.

@JS: I would say improvising is so much fun for me that I probably tend to neglect the proper stuff. My sight-reading is mediocre to say the least, and my knowledge of theory probably worse. In between full-time job and young family, my practising time is limited and I tend to gravitate towards the more creative stuff, just trying to reach that "zone" i tried to describe in the article. It feels nice to know that your path had some similarities. Maybe one day I will get close to your level!

Should have a new article on tomorrow, which I'll share here in hope but not expectation. Thanks again for being so welcoming.

Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland
Matty
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:42am
Hello again: New comment piece online here.

This time I tried to explain why I find jazz so fascinating, as I get asked this a lot by friends and family who have no real connection to the music. For me, it's about standards -- but I wrote this to find out what other people think!

Thanks for reading, and thanks again for welcoming me to the forum so nicely.

Matty x
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 11:26am
Nice article, and yes, the standards, or fake book tunes, are one of those things that set jazz apart from other genres. Even if an artist is playing something that isn't a standard, you can tell if they worked up their skills from playing the standards. If you can play the standards, then you will know your music theory inside and out, and how to apply it in time.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 4:39am
Hello again!

I've just put another piece online! It's about what makes a genius -- and gives a list of my top moments of genius in jazz music. Hopefully, a few fellow jazz lovers will feel compelled to correct my choices...

It was a lot of fun to write, and I'd love some feedback / responses.

You can find it here.

Liebe Grüße aus Düsseldorf
Matty
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:25am
Excellent article, one Monk advice I really liked was "Make the drummer sound good".

I'm going to return to this article in more depth later, I really appreciated the nod to Parliament; Clinton, Worrell and Bootsy together at their peak was pure genius at work.

Your coverage of jazz from the 40s to 70s is very good, but so many people neglect the pre-40s, and the 21st century.

Here are some early geniuses to look at:
Fletcher Henderson: his big band arrangements in the late 20s-early 30s are just incredible. Listen to many, because some are better than others. The best are the ones arranged by Don Redmon.

Possibly the two best jazz piano players of all time: Art Tatum and Earl Hines.

Moving on to the 21st century:
Piano: Matthew Shipp and Brad Mehldau, two very different piano players, but both are exceptional.
Guitar and composition: Mary Halvorson, she is still realizing her potential, I think her best may still be yet to come.

Edited by js - 17 Apr 2017 at 8:28am
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:43pm
Thanks JS! The list is really cool, and there's a lot there to inspire people starting out. My favourite is: "Don't play everything, every time." You come across a few people on the hobby-music scene who block the song and the other musicians out, and just play as fast and loud as they can. Very impressive, but not really the point (in my humble opinion): I much prefer playing with people who are perhaps a little more limited technically, but who play as part of the whole.

It was hard to narrow it down to keep within a reasonable word limit. I wasn't aware of all the people you suggested, but I'm fixing that now!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 5:49pm
I just listened to Parker's "Lover Man", that is something else. That was also the first jazz tune I learned how to play, in a very rudimentary fashion of course, unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it anymore.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:23am
Hello forum friends!

My latest post is about how to choose the right instrument for a child, and includes my top three recommendations! You can find it here: http://mattybannond.com/comment/which-instrument-should-my-child-learn/

I'd be really interested to share opinions on this one, because it's a very emotional topic for me: Playing jazz has transformed my life, but my initial experiences with the sax turned me away from music.

As a side note: You may notice that I have now switched to a self-hosted URL address. This is mostly because I want to learn how to create a site for when I set up as a freelancer next year (don't worry, I haven't got illusions of blogging grandeur!). For that reason, here are the new links to my jazz-related posts:

Improvisation: http://mattybannond.com/comment/improvisation-a-union-of-mind-body-and-music/
Jazz standards: http://mattybannond.com/comment/collage-homage-parody-hot-mess/
Genius in jazz: http://mattybannond.com/comment/genius-in-jazz/

Thanks again for all the kindness you've shown me on this page.

Liebe Grüße
Matty
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:30am
I teach music to young people, and by far the best starter instrument is the keyboard. On a physical level its very easy to play, which means everything else will be brain work.
Because of the physical layout of the keyboard and the way standard music notation works, you can teach young people how to read by seeing relative note movement, something thats much better for their brains than note memorization.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 3:09pm
Hi everyone,

I've just posted another article. This one's about how woodwind and brass instruments are enjoying a return to mainstream popularity, through bands like Too Many Zooz and Moon Hooch (and many others). You can read it here: http://mattybannond.com/comment/analogue-revolution/

I hope you find it interesting. As always, feedback is very welcome!

Thanks again for your support,
Matty

Edited by mattybannond - 24 Jul 2017 at 11:46pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 1:01pm
Awesome video, we'll get Too Many Zooz added to the site.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattybannond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 2:23am
Hi again!

I write short stories as a hobby, and one has just been published in an online journal. The story is about a child who discovers a jazz band's instruments, and is inspired by the endless possibilities of music.

If you have a few spare moements, you can read it here: https://cabinetofheed.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/horns-in-the-hatworks-matty-bannond/

Feedback welcome, as always!

Cheers,
Matty
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:09pm
Good to hear from you Matty, my computer is being repaired right now, but I should be able to check out your story after Monday.
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 8:12am
Juzz is all about the snippet of a heart bit...It's a music of the soul, the music of the heart, and the music of the beating body of the planet...
The beauty of jazz, the magnificence of jazz, is that it reproduces and amplifies those sounds, time after time, moment after moment, in ways that speak directly to the heart and ears of the listener as no other music does. Keith Jarrett, using a photographic metaphor in speaking of jazz, said that while classical music was like a photograph of a clear mountain stream
Yes that's totally it, and maybe to add a tube in here, or some good old saxophone like the Nill are doing, yep the scenery now is perfect, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_cPsIl5LP0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic