JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gretchen Parlato - transcription

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gretchen Parlato - transcription
    Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:04pm
Hi all,

I've been transcribing How We Love from Gretchen Parlato's The Lost & Found. I think I've got it mostly done, but am skeptical of my results for one particular measure. Can anyone take a look and let me know what's going on there, harmonically?

It's three chords, in a half-note triplet, at measure 23. In the recording, it's at 1:03.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvzjf49mjIg

I have it as: A(b9) E13(b9) Eb/A, and the melody as e-f-g-a-a#-a-g.

Thanks!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 12:01am
My ear is not great, but I tried what you provided here and it seemed to fit.
I think the key to this is the voiceings in the right hand, sounds like some sort of triadic movement when isolated from the left hand.
abbnyc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 7:08am
So, should I re-write the harmony as slash-chords? I typically stay away from them if it's not a true slash chord (like the Eb/A) where there's no deeper harmonic identity, but if it's the only way to indicate a palatable rendering, I can make an exception.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:42am
I would write it the way you want to, your obviously better at this than me. I was just interested in those right hand voicings and what was going on there. If I had some more time, I'd try to sort it out, but I have plenty other things to deal with this morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic