JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lets get the controversy started: Onda Nueva

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgressiveAttic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets get the controversy started: Onda Nueva
    Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:56pm
Onda Nueva is a musical style developed in the 70s by Venezuelan composer Aldemaro Romero by blending traditional Venezuelan Joropo (a genre that features some of the earliest improvistion techniques known) with Jazz sensibilities... usually performed by a trio (piano, bass and drums), sometimes with the addition of a cuatro (typical Venezuelan instrument with four strings), harp, flute or with an orchestra (getting close to Third Stream at times). After Romero lots of ensembles, groups and artists have emerged defining themselves inside the "Onda Nueva" style (specially in Venezuela).

Some examples:

This thread is for discussing about Onda Nueva, it isn't necessarily a proposal of including a new sub-genre.... (I think we should... IMO it is as unique as Bossa Nova)

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - 23 May 2011 at 9:01pm
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio: http://www.deliciousagony.com
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:08pm
Sounds good to me. Onda Nueva probably won't get its own genre, but more than likely many of the groups could find a home in Latin Jazz.
Let me know what groups you are proposing, preferably with some musical examples, and I will try to get them added to the site.

Edited by js - 23 May 2011 at 9:08pm
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgressiveAttic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:28pm
First of all Aldemaro Romero.... he developed the style (all the samples I posted above are his compositions) .
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio: http://www.deliciousagony.com
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:38pm
Cool, we should have him added over the next day or two.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgressiveAttic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:47pm
Some more technical aspects about the style (in its purest form):
*Generally written in 5/8 or 6/8 time signatures
*Jazz-Bossa harmonies
*Venezuelan Waltz cadence and modulation
*Joropo syncopation

I don't think there are Venezuelan musicians out there that don't owe something to Aldemaro Romero (specially in the jazz scene - one of the biggest in south-america)

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - 23 May 2011 at 9:49pm
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 4:50pm
Definately want to check this out more!
what would be the top five names in the genre to check out?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgressiveAttic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Freddie Freeloader Freddie Freeloader wrote:

Definately want to check this out more!
what would be the top five names in the genre to check out?

First of all, as I said before, Aldemaro Romero: but be careful, you may stumble upon some 100% Venezuelan folk (some of it may not be your kind of thing).

For jazzier things:
*Gonzalo Teppa (a truly gifted bass player... I've seen him live about 4 times and he still impresses me)
*Huascar Barradas (the archetypal Venezuelan flutist)
*Cesar Orozco (quite a new name in the scene but really talented pianist + he surrounds himself with great musicians)

If you like fusion, I'd recommend (this is more of a hybrid):
*Vytas Brenner (Jayeche)
*Frank Quintero y los Balzeaguaos (Frank Quintero actually started his career as backing vocalist for Aldemaro Romero... he plays drums in this one)

Edited by ProgressiveAttic - 24 May 2011 at 7:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic