JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Return to Forever (feat Zappa Plays Zappa) On Tour
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Return to Forever (feat Zappa Plays Zappa) On Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to Forever (feat Zappa Plays Zappa) On Tour
    Posted: 20 May 2011 at 5:17pm
http://shop.return2forever.com/index.cfm/pid/430547/

Pre-sale has started.

I'm excited for this!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:30pm
Classic RTF and Zappa, its like the 70s all over again.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Classic RTF and Zappa, its like the 70s all over again.

Indeed. I would use all my savings to go. Ouch
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 1:45am
There are J-L Ponty and Gambale in RTF line-up this time... I've seen them playing with Al Di Meola few years ago.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 8:01am
This is a real strong lineup for RTF.  I've seen RTF live with Connors, Klugh and di Meola on guitar but I'm really excited to see Gambale this time.  I'm probably in the minority but I prefer Gambale's guitar playing to di Meola's.  Zappa Plays Zappa is going to be the cherry on top.  Can't wait.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 9:30pm

Ah. Japan seems to be included as a schedule of the tour. Smile

However, I am pouring money into CD to learn Jazz further now. It might be an act of connecting because of my own enjoyment and JMA. Wink

Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 4:27pm
I'm not going to a show with Zappa Plays Zappa, but I will be seeing RTF on June 28 in Toronto.  I waited so long to get my ticket that I'm sitting in the back of the balcony.  My brother and I are taking our father with us for his birthday.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 4:41pm
^awesome! Enjoy it and tell us how it was!

My chances of going to U.S.A. to see them are unlikely, but my bro and I might convince my dad for a ZPZ+RtF date in SF or somewhere in the months of either September or October. (or August) It's still a long shot.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 6:28pm
This time tell me if you go to SF. I want you to meet my buddy Ray the record dealer. He's an interesting guy and he has good records to sell too.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

This time tell me if you go to SF. I want you to meet my buddy Ray the record dealer. He's an interesting guy and he has good records to sell too.

Indeed will! Sorry for the past time that I didn't tell you, if I had known you were from there!
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:06pm
Detroit  Thumbs Up  lets see if i can get tickets ..................... fingers x 
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 9:37am
The Toronto show is tonight.  Can't wait!!! Big smile
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

RtF and ZPZ??!! Or "simply" RtF?
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

It was just RTF, and that's all I needed.  Great show!!!  Possibly the best I've been too. Big smile

I'll try to find the setlist, but they played a good chunk of Romantic Warrior, "Shadow of Lo" from Where Have I Known You Before, Jean Luc Ponty's "Renaissance", "Hymn of The Seventh Galaxy", plus a song by Vertuu among other things.  I'll look for some pics as well, though the ushers were telling people to stop taking photos.

Unfortunately, the gig was not sold out.  Fortunately for us, we got free seat upgrades from the very back of the hall to the middle of the main level. Smile

They injected plenty of humor into the show as well, joking about their age, boy bands (Lenny said RTP is a MAN's band), and teasing the crowd that they were gonna play some Coltrane, and Chick produced an Ipod playing "Impressions".

It disappointed me that there was no official RTF merch available, but I picked up a Toronto Jazz festival T-shirt instead.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 2:25pm

They injected plenty of humor into the show as well, joking about their age, boy bands (Lenny said RTP is a MAN's band),  ...

When I saw them live three years ago Lenny said same joke LOL
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 7:05pm

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

It was just RTF, and that's all I needed.  Great show!!!  Possibly the best I've been too. Big smile

I'll try to find the setlist, but they played a good chunk of Romantic Warrior, "Shadow of Lo" from Where Have I Known You Before, Jean Luc Ponty's "Renaissance", "Hymn of The Seventh Galaxy", plus a song by Vertuu among other things.  I'll look for some pics as well, though the ushers were telling people to stop taking photos.

Unfortunately, the gig was not sold out.  Fortunately for us, we got free seat upgrades from the very back of the hall to the middle of the main level. Smile

They injected plenty of humor into the show as well, joking about their age, boy bands (Lenny said RTP is a MAN's band), and teasing the crowd that they were gonna play some Coltrane, and Chick produced an Ipod playing "Impressions".

It disappointed me that there was no official RTF merch available, but I picked up a Toronto Jazz festival T-shirt instead.

Sounds like an awesome show! 

I'm surprised though, I thought they were playing the entirety of Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy. Confused

Glad you had a great time, I really can't miss this.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:14pm
Here's part of School Days from the Toronto show.  I didn't film it. Tongue

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:04pm

Glissando and Harmonics.

As for the sound of Stanley Clarke, I can feel his individuality only by listening at once. Thank you for putting the video.

Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 10:50am
Here's the Toronto setlist, as posted on their official website:

Set 1 
Medieval Overture
Senor Mouse
Sorceress / Shadow of Lo
After the Cosmic Rain

Set 2
Hymn of the 7th Galaxy
A Dayride in Oakland
Renaissance
Romantic Warrior
Spain
School Days

Edited by Stooge - 04 Jul 2011 at 10:51am
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 1:26am
They'll be sunday in Ghent for the Ghent Festival, but apparently without ZPZ >>> Too bad, I'd have made the trip to see both. Stern Smile
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic