JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Return to Forever (feat Zappa Plays Zappa) On Tour
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Return to Forever (feat Zappa Plays Zappa) On Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 2:59pm
What's the chances of them playing any No Mystery material? Not my favorite album by them or anything, but they seem to overlook this album in their setlists
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:44pm
I was fortunate enough to catch RTFIV last night in Philadelphia at the Mann Performing Arts Center (an outdoor shed venue).  There was a good crowd, I'd estimate 4000 to 5000.  The show started on time at exactly 7:30 PM with the opening act Zappa Plays Zappa.  Basically a Frank Zappa tribute band led by Frank's son Dweezil.  They were actually very good.  After their performance RTF came out.  And from the outset made no bones that they were treating this as a home coming for native Philadelphian Stanley Clarke.  The band was in excellent form and sounded great especially the additions of Jean-Luc Ponty on violin and Frank Gambale replacing Al Di Meola on guitar.  My disappointments were 1) Frank Gambale's  sound was noticeably dialed down, you had to almost strain to listen to his soloing.  Possibly done by design as most of the soloing (other than Chick) was done by Ponty.  The other disappointment was that it was quite noticeable that Lenny White has either not completely healed from his shoulder surgery of a few years ago or he may be permanently limited in his range of motion.  I cannot remember the set list but it represented the four main electric RTF albums.  Another regret was that for me they could have added a couple more acoustic songs during the almost two hours they played but who's complaining.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:26pm
I know without a doubt that RTF is fantastic in concert.  I'd expect nothing less.  But last night on the local PBS station they showed "Zappa plays Zappa" and I was completely blown away by what I saw and heard.  I kinda expected them to come out and perform the more accessible "hits" (Montana and such) but they surprised me by playing some of the more obscure FZ material that I'm not familiar with and the complexity and imagination involved really took me back to the 70s when Frank would turn our heads inside out with his music and leave us begging for more.  Awesome musicianship and video production all around.  I don't get "wowed" often these days but that's how I felt repeatedly as I watched that concert footage.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 6:53pm
^yes man! Zappa Plays Zappa are undoubtedly extraordinary, check the live DVD! I was blown-away, that convinced me that I have to see them before I die!!!
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

^yes man! Zappa Plays Zappa are undoubtedly extraordinary, check the live DVD! I was blown-away, that convinced me that I have to see them before I die!!!

In many ways, ZPZ is better than Frank was ... mostly because Dweezil knows he has to stick to the music really tight and be good, and it shows. It still has some lyrics, but you can tell that some of them are toned down, or the material is toned down to get better access to the audiences.

Also, I think that either RTF or Chick Corea had more than one tour with Frank in the 70's, but we would have to check the annals of history.

And just saw that they will be playing in Eugene on September 23rd and I have already bought the tickeys and will be there ... with my eyes closed ... and appreciate some of the finest music ever made ... in our lifetimes!

I finally get to see ZPZ ...

Edited by Moshkito - 25 Aug 2011 at 5:18pm
... And then one day, the prophet said that you and I would know what is art ... and real!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 5:30pm
RTF visit Japan and will finish in US by unplugged concerts:

DATELOCATIONVENUEARTISTTICKETS
06 October, 2011Shizuoka, 
Shizuoka, Japan
Shizuoka Convention and Arts CenterReturn to Forever IV
08 October, 2011Tokyo, 
Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo International Forum HallReturn to Forever IV
10 October, 2011Tokyo, 
Tokyo, Japan
Hibiya Open Air StageReturn to Forever IV
12 October, 2011Goyang, 
Korea
Aram TheaterReturn to Forever IV
14 October, 2011Seoul, 
Korea
Seoul Art CenterReturn to Forever IV
01 November, 2011New York, 
New York, United States
Blue Note Jazz ClubReturn to Forever UnpluggedTickets
02 November, 2011New York, 
New York, United States
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

RTF visit Japan and will finish in US by unplugged concerts:

DATELOCATIONVENUEARTISTTICKETS
06 October, 2011Shizuoka, 
Shizuoka, Japan
Shizuoka Convention and Arts CenterReturn to Forever IV
08 October, 2011Tokyo, 
Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo International Forum HallReturn to Forever IV
10 October, 2011Tokyo, 
Tokyo, Japan
Hibiya Open Air StageReturn to Forever IV
12 October, 2011Goyang, 
Korea
Aram TheaterReturn to Forever IV
14 October, 2011Seoul, 
Korea
Seoul Art CenterReturn to Forever IV
01 November, 2011New York, 
New York, United States
02 November, 2011New York, 
New York, United States
I also noticed that later in Novemeber (25, 26 & 27) Chick Corea will also be performing at the Blue Note (NYC) with the original Elektric Band:
Chick Corea, keyboards
John Patittuci, bass
Eric Marienthal, saxophone
Dave Weckl, drums
Frank Gambale, guitar
Definitely worth catching.  I actually hope they tour to other cities.  I'm not a big fan of Blue Note.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic