JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Live vs. Concert recordings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live vs. Concert recordings
    Posted: 19 May 2011 at 12:05am
Support.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:32am
Bump. 
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 6:07am
"Studio album" and "Live album" These are "LIVE. " for me all I think that Jazz is live. Or, improvisation. I am always enjoying Jazz in a word in the part where it was transcended because the form and details of the recording of the album are understood. Just minority opinionSmile
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 5:13am
As we all know, the template of JMA was imported from MMA, which is conceptually built around the way certain notions are perceived in rock/metal music.

One of the notions where the rock mentality does not converge with the jazz mentality is the one regarding studio recordings and the production of what we call "albums". In my opinion, the list of album types that came with the template does not fit jazz music.

A lot of what we call "albums" in jazz are recorded live. Either in a studio or on a well wired scene, the music is played "live", together, and not like in rock/pop music, where each musician tracks his instrument sepparately, to be later mixed together by the producer.

But such jazz albums aren't considered "live" albums, and even on JMA they are (correctly IMO) listed as "albums".

My proposal is to change the "Live" album type to "Concert", a move that should clarify the two concepts in the jazz context. In the rock/pop/metal context, the "live in studio" album is a rare occurence and a tricky issue in what categorization is concerned.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic